Living with a Daytona ? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Living with a Daytona ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by WILLIAM H, Mar 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John1789

John1789 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Whart, the 275gts is light and quick and very easy to drive. Great on twisty roads and a wonderful sound at 6500 rpm. The wife loves this car. The daytona is straight line muscle and 100+ bursts. Noisy(velocity stacks), and only really happy at high speed, but can hang with any cobra V8 made.

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Bill
    When did Ferrari start using steel braided tubing? Did they or is this always "aftermarket?".
    Best

3. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    And John, what about the venue of the photo? San Ysidro?

4. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Im not sure they did.... I think its aftermarket. My Daytona has all steel braided lines for the oil plumbing in the engine bay as well as an aftermarket external oil cooler mounted up front. Most of the lines are very well hidden by the heat shielding, but you can see some. It may not be original.... but I think it looks better and I certainly like the safety margin the external cooler provides.

Terry

5. John1789

John1789 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    RE : Venue....my home in the east bay area. jsw

6. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    BillB

Why is your air filter different?

Rijk

7. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    He has a factory "Cold Air" box. It has a snorkle that goes over the radiator and allows cold air to be scooped from up front. It is used with the factory velocity stacks and cooresponding carb tops.

Bill was gracious enough to send me detailed pics of it, along with some basic specs and plans. I am going to have one built for my car! It will still use the stock air cleaner, but allows the use of the velocity stacks (and thus that great induction sound) and should add power. I cant wait!

Terry

8. billb

billb Formula Junior
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 4, 2001
    Shorewood, IL
    Full Name:
    Bill Badurski
    Hello again guys. Here are my replies:
    1. The wire braided oil lines (3) are correct. One runs from the crankcase to the oil tank, one from the tank to the heat exchanger, and one from the heat exchanger back to the crankcase. I replaced mine when I overhauled the engine 3 years ago, using new stock from Ferrai UK and Algar. They are shiny now, but tend to turn a flat gray over time. That's the way they came from factory. Other lines for the A/C, and vacuum pump (internal wire reinforcement) were cloth wrapped in black.

2. The carb tuning issue is highly over-exaggerated. They are really rather simple, and easy to set once you understand how things work. If I start from scratch on a set of six after complete carb overhaul, it takes about 1-1/2 to 2 hours to get them dialed in perfectly. After that, they require no more attention. Other problems can crop-up, such as the common warped bases due to the weird three-stud retention system. This causes vacuum leaks that can be misinterpreted as carb problems. Also, bugs stuck in the emulsion tubes.

3. The wires are a love-hate thing. Look great when clean, but difficult to keep that way. I use Eagle-1 All Wheel cleaner and a hot water spray, followed by compressed air blow drying. It works OK, but the inboard spokes never come completely clean with removing the wheels and running a rag around each spoke (once a year job for me).

9. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale

10. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale

Rijk: yes, I will post them as soon as i figure out how to reduce them.

11. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    www.irfanview.com

Best little imaging program out there. To resize an image, under the "Image" menu click on "resize/resample", then just type in the size (640x480 works well).

12. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    #87 malcolmb, Mar 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Malcolm,

There seem to borranis on the second photo. Do you have two sets of wheels, or is it another car (or am I wrong).

Rijk

14. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Of course I have two sets of wheels and tires, all Daytona owners have two sets, didnt Nick give you both sets? Seriously, the cars drives best with the XWX's but tracks better with the Yamaha's, not that tracking a Daytona is a great experience. What radio do you have? Period Becker or something that works? I bought a Becker Mexico to replace the modern radio in mine as soon as it is serviced. The radio, that is.

15. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    I have Beckers in both my daytonas...as if it matters...these cars were not delivered with radios...and the period Beckers were put on locally. So why replace a working modern radio unless it is just for show?

16. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Somehow the black plastic JVC face plate just doesnt look correct to me. I seldom use the radio and thought I would enjoy seeing what would have been a good choice during the early 70<s. I am aware that radios were not provided by the factory. Whatever radio is installed will be worthless above 50MPH anyway.The Becker is probably worthless at rest, but why not?

17. 355now350soon

355now350soon Karting

Mar 19, 2004
    It's a Datsun

18. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Yeah, I guess a 355 would beat it in highway traffic.

:rolleyes:

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    All, I had the opportunity to drive a 330 GTC over the weekend, and I'll post my thought when I have time, which will be, ah, someday.

Anyrate, the gentleman who lent me the GTC also has a Daytona. His comment about the Borranis (besides being a PIA to clean) was that they didn't do as well as the mags on the Daytona due to its weight and power. He too has two sets. The wire wheels for show, and the mags for go.

Your thoughts? Dale

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Didn't you Mama tell you to keep your pie hole shut if you didn't have anything constructive to say?

21. 355now350soon

355now350soon Karting

Mar 19, 2004
    Noony no need for traffic. The 355 will take that Datsun anywhere traffic or not. Even if you where driving the 355. Not mension it's way nicer to look at. Maybe you should start a poll. 355 or Dat upps sorry Daytona which looks better.

22. 355now350soon

355now350soon Karting

Mar 19, 2004
    No Dr.Tax I was told by my Mama to break faces of cowarts like you.

23. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    I agree, I use the Borranis with XWX to drive under normal fooling around conditions, the car was designed for the XWX and drives nicely on them. I use the mags and the Yokahamas to cross the country as the modern rubber is a lot better, but steers harder because of the additioal width. Of course I think the mags are much better wheels, but the 8 and 9 inch width and the 70 series rubber somehow looks more period correct.

24. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    He offerred to let me drive the Daytona, but I really didn't have the time. He also said that the Daytona had been modified to include power steering (maybe from a C4?), but it didn't work all that well. Apparently, this was a popular mod at one point.

But the first impression in going from a Maranello to a GTC is the w-i-d-e steering wheel. I had to relearn my steering inputs. I guess they used such wide wheels back in the day to give more leverage.

Dale

25. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Dr. Tax,

Please give us more of your thoughts on the 330 GTC. And yes, I know it's tax season.

Barchetta