LOCATION OF TRANSMISSION CONTROL UNIT | FerrariChat

LOCATION OF TRANSMISSION CONTROL UNIT

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by arkferrari, Jul 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    I need to know where in my 1999 456M GTA the TCU is located. Thanks for the help.

2. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Do you mean ECUs? If so, think they are still (on the M) either side of the plenums, Bosch (5.2s?). You having problems? Sometimes water corrosion on the pins can be an issue.

Ahhhh you mean the Transmission Control Unit, Doh sorry!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Lift the trunk carpet etc and open the gearbox access panel, you should see it there.

4. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Did you get this sorted?

5. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    No, not found in the trunk compartment. Also not in driver's kick panel nor in the passenger foot panel. Still looking!

6. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Sorry, are you saying you removed the inspection plate/cover in the trunk - under the carpet etc and when you looked at the gearbox through the inspection ‘access window’ you couldn’t see the TCU ? Or are you saying you didn’t find the TCU in the trunk?

The latter I’d understand, the former I am surprised! Have you been through the parts diagrams and spoken with FNA?

7. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    I looked in the gearbox cavity after removing the "inspection access window". No TCU (part # 175832) visible. Still searching.

8. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
  9. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    Tried Ricardo; they have a "confidential pact" with Ferrari and can not provide information or support. Have you ever tried to get technical information from FNA? I have inquired at Ricambi but they have not responded. Hard to believe that no one on this forum can tell me where the TCU is located?

10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Post this in the 456 section. Taz probably knows. I can look through the WSM

11. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Yeah surprised. I only know the type from an ex colleague, who I was sure had a TCU issue and moaned about having to strip the boot out for a panel - hence my answer. I’m dealing with Marannelo Uk today for a part - I’ll see if they can help.... I’d have thought the Ebay guy who rebuilds them should be helpful. Can’t believe Riciardo can’t say LOL - what kind of confidential agreement is that!?!? Oddly I did use FNA once for some info to track down the last known part in a dealer network, we’re really great - but maybe because I was from the UK and so it was a bit novel for them!

12. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Dave,

Quick info from Marannelo is centre console by selector. They are Sending a diagram - may just be parts. Will update if I find anything more.

13. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    IGNORE my last!! Turns out they sent through for a 458!!!!

So I spoke with a couple of places today regarding my Q.V. no one got back to me, not so great. But the two independents I spoke with first thought the TCU was via the inspection panel and sat on/near the gearbox.

Maranello, unfortunately, misunderstood and came back with 458 information. I did email once I got the workshop manual detail they kindly sent, so if I do get any info I’ll post.

14. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    Thanks for your search; I'm still looking.

15. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    TCUs are almost ALWAYS in "close" proximity to the gearbox...This IS a transaxle car AFIK, ergo, the unit SHOULD be back there no more than 3-4 feet(cable length) from the sensor/plugs/connectors to the ECU boot head...its gotta be close by...work backwards in the harness....that's how I've done this sort of thng in the past sans info...

16. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    I have looked everywhere EXCEPT underneath the backseat and the back side panels. Has anyone been in either of these areas before? Pictures would be great!