LoJack alternative | FerrariChat

LoJack alternative

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by dm_n_stuff, Feb 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Lojack does not tell you if your car is being stolen, it just tells the police where to find it when it has been stolen.

Wouldn't we be better off with an alarm that notifies us when the car is moving, but, we're not in the car?

Would that be worth $300-400 for peace of mind?

I store several cars off premise, and was thinking this would be something I'd be interested in. My car could get stolen, and I might not know for a month or more, especially in the winter.

What do you say?

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    specific alarm products for years have done this - first with pager systems and then with cell phones - your car calls you if you don't enter a code into the alarm system after starting it (or something like that).

the onstar system purportedly does this. i'm told that if my benz is somehow boosted, the computer will phone home and i'll get a call from the onstar people.

doody.

3. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #3 PeterS, Feb 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    #4 62 250 GTO, Feb 26, 2004
  5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#5 dm_n_stuff, Feb 26, 2004
    Dood.

Yep, but my '72 dino doesn't have onstar, and I'm guessing a retro-fit isn't in order, so, whadda do?

Leave a plugged in cell phone in the trunk that has that new GPS locator system in it? Then if the car moves outside a certain radius, it'll call me?

Not sure that's the best idea 'cause any car thief worth his stuff would unplug the phone, or toss out the window.

Guess I'll just have to leave my dog sitting on the hood to guard it. Does she look scary, or what
    Image Unavailable, Please Login