Longest road trip in your Ferrari? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Longest road trip in your Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by robstand, May 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    The 330 is easy to heel-toe. Even if the synchros are not perfect I can speed shift smoothly. Amazing to drive the 50 year old banger when you know the limits.

Nembo1777 and Texas Forever like this.
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Somewhere on here, lost in the electronic fog, I wrote about driving my GTC. You know, the one where I had to double clutch going into 5th. I drove that old lady hard, but, you are 1000% correct, you have to understand the limits. I recall coming to maybe a 60 degree curve. You line up on the outside edge, heel-and-toe to drop a gear, and take a late apex. The car would understeer, and then shift to oversteer, and then back to understeer. The old Dosey Doe. It was a lot of fun. But, if you were following in my Maranello, you got bored. The Shark was impatient. It wanted to rock.

But on the Rattler, and I can't wait to drive it, the GTC might be all you need.

3. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    OK....here is the deal. You fly to Naples and pick up my 599 and bring it to our NC home. In return you can drive any of my cars on the Rattler.

But don’t even think about taking a detour to Houston in my 599. Otherwise I will send Guido to break-a your legs.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Deal!

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i might do that..... :)

6. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Since there seems to be two “takers” of my offer I will add my hot-rod BB 512 to the mix. Both are in Naples and need to be relocated to our home in NC.

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    **** Ross. He can drive the 512. I don't fit. But, I ain't waiting for his ass.

8. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    I will drive the 512, then swing by Gregorys to pick up my 275, drive the MM, and then drive it to SD.
    dale will buy your 599 once you ajust the price....Malcolm

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well now my second longest trip was 4702 miles from Massachusetts to Colorado Springs for the FCA Broadmoor Experience this September. We drove the 612 and took our time on the way out.

We stopped in Dayton and spent the afternoon at the Air force Museum. The next day we spent the afternoon in Indianapolis and did the Canal Walk and other city sights and dined at St. Elmo's. The following day we took the tram up to the top of the Arch in St. Louis. The next day was a long drive out to Burlington, CO. The next morning we visited the Old Town Museum in Burlington, a very interesting and extensive exhibit, we recommend it.

We arrived in Colorado Springs a day early and took the opportunity to climb Pikes Peak (I didn't attach a bumper sticker that read "This Car Climbed Pikes Peak". :D

The Broadmoor event was organized by Theresa Gilpatrick and she did a stellar job. Everything ran flawlessly and we met and made so many new friends. BTW, the Broadmoor property is just spectacular.

After the event we drove up to Denver and spent a couple days, staying at the Brown Palace. For the drive home we just did long days to get back, but we did make a stop in Elkhart, IN to tour the RV and Motor Home Museum. We have never owned either, and don't intend to, but the exhibit was very interesting.

The car ran flawlessly. Once on a rally I got a message on the TFT about a suspension malfunction. Everything seemed fine and ironically a rest stop on that rally was Ferrari of Denver. I figured maybe they could take a look, but when I shut off the engine and restarted it, the message was gone and never reappeared (that's a Ferrari for you).

10. manta22

manta22 Karting

Jun 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Neil P. Albaugh
    pdxjim488, ryalex, Nembo1777 and 9 others like this.
  11. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    I just got back from an approx 1800 mile round trip from Tucson AZ to Dillon CO and back in our 599. Side trips through mountain passes and a nearly empty New Mexico let me really explore what the car could do. I drove alone, with the radio off. The only noise was the engine, the wind, and the pops of bugs exploding at high speed. The photos are from a little pass between AZ and NM.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. the_dan

the_dan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Old school cool right there. Respect Sir.

Caphill likes this.
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    After our trip to Colorado and back to Massachusetts, I can relate to the damn bugs!

Caphill likes this.
  15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  16. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Classy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYC Fred likes this.
  17. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    pdxjim488, ryalex, NYC Fred and 7 others like this.
  18. robstand

robstand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    Awesome to see this comment on a thread I started two years ago when I had a California T. I now have a GTC4Lusso and I plan to put a lot of miles on it before winter, including driving to the FCA Annual Experience at the end of the month. That's only about 325 miles away, but I anticipate a lot of driving while I'm down there as well. Here in the Pacific Northwest, we have some amazing roads, and I am going to drive them all!

ryalex and John A. Muller like this.
  19. John A. Muller

John A. Muller Karting

Apr 16, 2022
    Chesapeake Beach, MD
    Full Name:
    John A. Muller
    You are my hero and someone I'd like to know...I fell in love with the shape when I first saw a 750 Monza in 1957. It was my Magnum PI moment before the 308 was even an idea in Enzo's mind. I am 87 and followed Ferrari since 1953...Your car is the highlight of the Ferrari's 60th anniversary (my 308 is on pages 391 and 394 (Mid-Atlantic section). Thank you for preserving a true classic. Again, you are my hero and I wish you the best.

20. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Hey John,

I too am 87 am just an ordinary gearhead. Nice start on your over 40 years of taking care of that special 308. Have I met you while in the MAR FCA? We left Arlington in 2013 for Santa Fe.

Best regards,

Robert

John A. Muller likes this.
  21. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #121 Jack-the-lad, Sep 1, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
    That parking shelter looks like Borgo Scopeto near Siena.

22. John A. Muller

John A. Muller Karting

Apr 16, 2022
    Chesapeake Beach, MD
    Full Name:
    John A. Muller
    I joined MAR in 1985, but unfortunately I missed participating in many events during that period...I did attend the FCA national at Wolf Trap and the great Turner Events in the mid 80s. I do recall seeing the body of a Modial/Monza on blocks on one occasion and now wonder if it was your car during the restoration period. I plan to take a trip to Tucson in the coming year and would like to stop by and have some of that great Albuquerque Mexican food (much like Tucson's Sonora-style food) and a brew with you. I was also Navy and one of my sons was a Naval Academy grad ('93), flew an S-3 Viking with VS-24 and retired as a full commander in 2013. Take care and I hope we have the chance to meet in the coming year.
    My best wishes to you,
    John

pdxjim488 and Texas Forever like this.
  23. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear John,

Your memory is right on, please see following photo from FCA National 6/2006. We would be delighted to meet you here in Santa Fe.

The story of your son's 1993 USNA graduation and retirement makes me feel really old as I retired in 1988 while he was still in high school!

Best regards,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Robert

imahorse and Texas Forever like this.
  24. John A. Muller

John A. Muller Karting

Apr 16, 2022
    Chesapeake Beach, MD
    Full Name:
    John A. Muller
    Some things are easy to remember and, as I mentioned, seeing this car style the first time found a place in my overstocked memory bank...I have friends living in Santa Fe, so let's keep the thought of meeting alive...Lunch is on me!
    John

25. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The actual longest Ferrari trip was another fly in-buy-drive home affair. This time was a Mondial-t cab. I bought it in Rochester, NY. Drove east to NYC to visit friends and family....... and then to Phoenix using mainly the back roads through small towns. Saw lots of places. Met a bunch of new friends. Still made it in 3 days.

Now, I believe I must have an unofficial record: Picking up an F40 in Orange County, CA and making it to central Phoenix in 3 hours, 20 mins. That one Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login was serious.