Look what I got | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Look what I got

Discussion in '348/355' started by angelis, Oct 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    348 wheels are 17" whilst 355 standard wheels are 18".

Plus the 355 wheels are magnesium and a lot lighter.

The 355CH wheels are even lighter than the standard wheels.

The centre lock wheels are 1" wider than the 355CH wheels.

2. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I guess that would come in handy if you wanted to run larger brake discs.

Which ones are you running? The 355 or 335CH?

It seems like the extra width would be worth it for the tyre contact.... What keeps a centrelock wheel from spinning off? Is that what makes it difficult to switch to that setup?

All the best,
    Andrew.

3. Lagerlout

Lagerlout Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    West Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Mr. LL
    Well, it's on Video cassette so I'll try to have to find a way to burn it to a DVD. I actually haven't even watched it myself!!!!

4. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    #54 vvassallo, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
    First of all, let me say Sy you are one heck of a Brother and I am proud to be in your company. :) And you are made of better stuff than I for cancelling the 458 order. I am not sure I would have. ;) As all the Stooges, I am trembling with anticipation at your project. Yes, I agree that this is a piece of Ferrari history, not just 348 history, that you need to make sure survives your, ahem, eager ministrations, shall we say?

As for PAP, Steve is a crazy-azzed nut job I believe I met a few years back who built a 348 for the Silver State Challenge or so. He purports to be a Ferrari mechanic, but I think he is a mad scientist living on the fringe, maybe even madder than, dare I say it, our own gothspeed. :eek:

His silver 348 is an earlier model stripped for speed, festooned with decals and fabbed up like a high speed track car, although it appears pretty stock from the outside. ;) He has a race inspired removable steering wheel, I recall and a roll cage.

Okay, now for the engine. As I remember it, it was a twin turbo semi-stock motor (probably stuffed with all sorts of special innards) with a no cat (no sheit, griswall) straight pipe exhaust. He said it makes 700 HP on the street with pump gas and much more with racing fuel. He quoted a number near 1000, but who knows for sure?

I do have some pictures somewhere of his car in Monterey I will dig up. We drove in a FCA event up to Monterey with the Lambo guys and he easily kept up with them, blowing past me several times like I was standing still at 125 mph (my gut limit on the 101 freeway). I followed him for awhile at speed (don't ask, I was too chicken to look at the speedo) and noticed that my car was getting peppered by unburned HC's that covered the front like oily soot. So, I moved over and let him go on his way. I did witness huge bellows of flame out of his pipes when he stomped it, then shifted. Stock trans I think too. I have not seen him around lately so I lost track of the car. I do believe he is from San Diego.

5. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #55 gothspeed, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
    ^^ Vince ........ it is not a problem going big HP numbers ...... turbo systems can be made in the lab 'on demand' .......... for 'off road use only' .................... ;)

6. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms

Take a look at the Forgeline offerings. Lighter than the CH wheels and no need to worry about age or hub design. I am quite pleased with them on the IMSA car albeit they need to go silver or white in color

7. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    ...see a Doctor, and get rid of it....

8. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    They have some great looking wheels!!! ............... :)

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Si, Sy!

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice tip Dave. Just had a look at their site and I like some of the styles they have.

11. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Very interesting thread gentlemen, I'm very intrigued by The story of Steve Maxwell's modified 348. Any pictures or better yet video would be appreciated by all, I'm sure.

12. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Nom'd this for TOTM!

13. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Seconded.

Actually, where do I officially second the nomination? Is there a voting process on this once all the nominees are in?

All the best,
    Andrew.

14. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    #64 vvassallo, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
    LOL, Don't say stuff like this to me, I might get some evil wishes and dreams... :D

Do you think Santa would bring me a gothspeed turbo system for Christmas?!

I will be getting those pictures as soon as I can find them.

15. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    #65 angelis, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I can't remember teh name of teh company, but they have outlets in chemists across the country that will do it for you.

Costs £20 per cassette.

Thanks Dave.

Had a look around... but have changed my mind about those centre lock wheels. Should have them soon from Bertocchi who is selling them. The guys from QV London are going to help with sorting out a solution to install them. I figure they belong on the car, being LM and all. May not get an opportunity later.

Thanks mate. :D

UPDATE

Picked up a cambelt and oil filter from the local Ferrari dealer (HR OWEN)

Simpson engineering who originally built the engine and who are also selling it, will start work on it end of this week. Should have it with me in the next few weeks.

Also have the Hill Engineering tensioners on their way to them as well.

Only problem at the moment is getting hold of a waterpump.

Two years ago when my mate George and I did an engine out, I purchased a new OEM water pump for £650. It's now gone up to £1,030, even though it's the same stock!!!

Looking at alternatives including having it rebuilt.

Yesterday I ordered the quantum racing suspension system. It's the same one that Andy (andyhls) has on his 348.

Picture Andy posted up elsewhere of his set up
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
    That outlet is called jessops.

17. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    No, it's a different company.

Thanks for letting me know it's Jessops as it's easier for me to go there.

18. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Cool man!! He sounds like a bit of a legend!! :p:p

Thanks mate, would love to see pics if you can find some. :D:D

19. Lagerlout

Lagerlout Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    West Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Mr. LL
    Sy - not 100% sure but think I have a 348 water pump lying around somewhere, no problems with it, not new of course but just replaced as a matter of course when Mototechnique did the major on my GTC. If you're interested let me know and I'll have a look for it and send it to you with the DVD. Hopefully I haven't binned it!

20. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Thanks Neil, but Philip's got one of my old ones and he's sending it to me.

21. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    I understand the want of the CL's, I have them on other race cars of mine and they do make a statement. Lets me know if you need photo's or spec's on the hubs...I use one for a paperweight on my desk. There were problems with those so do research before chosing a design.

My engine had a custom bearing used for the tensioner side that was larger in diameter than the OEM. The belt would only go on when teeth were lined up and it was pushed in place onto the gears. It would be interesting to see what Simpson used in their design. In the end I found it had to be set at its full adjustment. It was at the 36 second mark of the initial start up that I found my first belt setting was not tight enough for the cam design we used. My one freeby in this lifetime...it jumped a crank tooth, not a cam tooth. Near a month setting up Cosworth lash cap valve train on 32 new Cosworth valves and nothing touched.... I took the rest of the day off to have a quite moment to myself after finding that.

RE the waterpump. Used at reasonable RPM's the OEM impeller works fine but I found I needed closer tolerances and a finer scroll cut design to eliminate cavitation at extreme RPM. I had a batch of them made up and that seemed to solve the problem. I would be interested in the original builders thoughts and how they dealt with that issue or if they ever had a problem in that area. Something tells me that engine will not be seeing the stock redline used all that often...

22. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Guys I am taking notes. This is awesome!!! Best thread in a long time.

23. ferrariboy11

ferrariboy11 Rookie

Sep 17, 2009
    wow what a beautiful engine can i have one.

24. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Change of plan.

Just purchased the centre lock wheels from a fellow fchatter. Couldn't resist it.

Decided not to get the 355CH rear spoiler on ebay as it's fibreglass.

Trying to source the same design as found on the original Simpson 348.

Thanks Dave.

May need your input for the CL wheels.

Do you think Testarossa hubs would work?

25. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    The centre lock wheels are AWESOME! :D:D

What are you doing with your 355 wheels? :eek::eek: