Looking at an E92 coupe - 328xi | FerrariChat

Looking at an E92 coupe - 328xi

Discussion in 'Other German' started by audi_328, Oct 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Anybody have any experience/wisdom regarding a 2013 328xi coupe? Looking for a used, not super expensive, fun and fairly reliable MT coupe as a DD so I won't have to take the Tundra everywhere. I want X-drive as I live in the northeast and intend to daily it through the winter.

I hear good things about the N52 motor (NA 3.0L I-6, 230hp).

I have a line on one and hope to check it out soon. I've poked around some of the BMW forums and have driven a few (not a 328i) but have never owned a BMW before.

Thoughts/experiences?

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    What do you want to know?

Common issues are valve cover leaks, oil filter housing leaks, oil pan gasket (around 100k miles). These are the big ticket services.

also. If it has run flats. Chuck em.

The XDrive is pretty robust and easy to care for.

Make CERTAIN if it has adaptive headlights they are not cloudy or have moisture. That’s an easy $3K PER HEADLIGHT fix.

Depending on mileage the rear subframes can be pretty crusty too for east coast cars. Be careful of worn bushings out back.

audi_328 likes this.
  3. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Ps. A 2013 wouldn’t be an e92 though, just so we’re on the same page. I think late 2011 was the last year for that platform. The 2013 would be an F30. And a different car and one I hate :)

4. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Naw, the E92 kept going to 2013, it was just the E90 that stopped earlier.

I had an E92 335i and it was a fantastic car. However configuration is pretty key. Sport package, manual, RWD, and the bigger engine are key. I had some loaners over the years that were 328xi with automatics and they were awful cars. Felt like driving a Camry. I did European delivery of mine and drove it through the alps in the winter, plus year round in NJ. Got a nice set of winter tires and it was great.

5. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    The N52 didn’t end in 2011?

6. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    I've driven a 135i M-sport and it was pretty great, though my understanding is that motor can pose reliability issues, and anything I'm looking at would like be a ~100K mile car...the 135i was a lot of fun, but I was looking more at the NA 3.0L six as from what I read it's pretty bulletproof. Some people say the turbo's great, some report nightmares, but the NA seems a safer, if slower, bet. I'm all about a sport-package car, but would like AWD because I'd daily it year round. RWD would work if I daily my Tundra during the winter, as of now it's my only daily and it'd be nice to have something smaller, with a stick...exploring possibilities, I guess.

Thanks for the tips! I'd heard about the run flats and rear subframes, but not about the headlights; something to look out for. Good to hear about the X-drive, too. What is it you hate about the F30? Just yesterday had a euro car mechanic telling me how he loved the F30, lol.

Guess I'm not in a super rush, but have decided I'd like to get a reasonably reliable, possibly/preferably all-season/AWD, manual transmission BMW as a daily, and not have to take the Tundra everywhere. Preferably a coupe, open to a sedan but not my first choice. I'm somewhat familiar with BMWs but not fluent in them. I've seen the E90 328xi sedans and they look pretty nice, they're in a sweet spot price-wise and if I can find a nice stick example I'd probably just go for that. I have zero interest in anything automatic.

In an ideal world, I think I'd like a 128i M-sport coupe - I like the small coupes - with a 6-speed stick and X-drive, but I don't think such a car exists. The 2-series X-drives don't appear to come with a manual transmission, plus they're newer and more expensive. Looking for something I can leave in the driveway. Not a beater, but a daily driver.

Any suggestions?

7. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I bought an E91 328xi for the ex-wife 5 years ago, she still has it at 240xxx kms. One of the best cars I've ever purchased. Engine is stupid reliable (by bmw standards), frugal and responsive. Get one with the sport seats, and put lower offset wheels on the back (e92 328s in particular have very recessed wheels)

audi_328 likes this.
  8. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    So I ended up passing on the 328xi...found a 2-owner, clean Carfax 2011 128i with the sport package and 6-speed manual at a pretty reasonable price. Figured I can always take the Tundra if the snow gets bad, and the 128i came with a set of snows with only one season on them.

Happy to have a small coupe with a stick as a DD again.

9. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Congrats! That sounds like a fantastic car.

audi_328 likes this.
  10. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I just ended up nabbing a 2010 135i stick, RWD, but hoping it's as decent as what you got, albeit XDrive vs RWD

audi_328 likes this.
  11. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Nice! The first car I rented through Turo was a 135i (stick) on a trip to LA awhile back - had a blast with it in the canyons out there - 300hp and pretty sure they all came with the M-sport suspension, it's a sweet package.

No XDrive on mine, E82 is RWD only, but I bought it anyway. Decided I'd rather have that small chassis than the larger E92 with XDrive. I just loaded some tube sand into the trunk for the winter, but when it's really bad (like today), I have the Tundra.

I've put around 2000 miles on the 128i since I bought it, loving it overall.

19633500GT likes this.