Looking at moving from a 458 to 812 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Looking at moving from a 458 to 812

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Big A, Apr 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    thank you for sharing,you know exactly where i am coming from with that 10 year bmw metaphor :)

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I owned my 458 for 3 years and it was the best Ferrari I've ever owned. Absolutely loved that car; Ferrari really nailed it with the 458. I bought a 488 GTB and couldn't stand it. Boring and sounded terrible. The 488 was so awful I really wanted to return it within a few days, but decided to give it 6 months to avoid rocking the boat too much with my favorite dealership. I was glad when I turned that car over to the dealer to sell.

So where to go after the 458? I test drove a Lusso at Laguna Seca and loved it. That is one heck of a fun car. My girlfriend drove it also and loved it too. But as great as the car is, I've always been a little unsure if I could truly fall in love with the styling of the body.

Decided to maybe buy an 812 Superfast. The dealer let me test drive one and it was really great. As big as the car is, it feels connected and smaller when you're driving it. Lots of power. It almost feels like you're on a powerful super bike in some ways. I used to have a highly modified Yamaha R1 and driving the 812 was giving me flashbacks to riding the R1 - as crazy as that sounds.

One thing I always really loved about the 458 Italia - and part of why I bought the Italia over the Speciale - was the ability to dial down the exhaust note in sports mode vs race mode. I'm not sure if that can be done in the 812. The exhaust note of the 812 seems to always be front and center, which is nice but I wonder if it might get old on a long trip.

812 or 458 - that's really a hard one. The only answer might be LaFerrari :)

Ray

Mike Chawla likes this.
  3. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    so good to hear about how good 458 is,i am eyeing a second hand one but will probably buy after i receive my first ever ferrari in my life and its 812 ,i test drove it in dubai for 24 hours ,fell in love with na v12 big time ,not just about power but even on low speed ,ur so right about the handling it feels smaller than the car is,after i confirmed the order which is being delivered in August this year,i further look for more NA engine and i heard 458 is one of the best car ever made thats why considering this one also right after 812
    thanks for sharing ,all the best on your decision

R J likes this.
  4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The 458 is a fantastic car to own and - if you truly appreciate Ferrari for what it is and always had been - then the 458 is definitely a car that you can fall in love with. It has all that special something a Ferrari should have to make it magic.

I haven't owned an 812 yet - but just based on a short test drive at the dealership, I'd say the 812 Superfast is very much in that same camp as well.

Ray

italiafan, R J and Mike Chawla like this.
  5. F458Italia

F458Italia Karting

Sep 2, 2009
    Sarasota Lido Key Fl
    Full Name:
    Michael Lentini
    Hi
    I either had or still have all those models

The 458 was a big jump from a 430, The Pista was an even bigger jump up, but then there is the Superfast 812, The F8 is a very nice car but having them all the 812 or superfast are the two best cars

If you decided the 812 is the way to then if you are interested i have a 812 and F8 for sale