Looking into a 328 GTS. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Looking into a 328 GTS.

Discussion in '308/328' started by Il Co-Pilota, Dec 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kent Dellenbusch

Kent Dellenbusch Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    My $.02
    My 89,328, I have never exercised the ABS yet. I just don't drive it that hard or fast to warrant its activation. I guess I should, to keep it patent, just a thought for myself. I have heard that I can not get the coffin rims (I love the looks, and would interchange them periodically) for my 89. It appears there are more options for aftermarket rims should you care to go that route if it is not equipped with ABS. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/new-coffin-spoke-wheels-328-gtb.649601/

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Well, I'm 165 lbs so not in that crowd.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I told my dealer I accepted, so car will be at the dealer some time early in the new year. Very exciting.

Kent Dellenbusch and miketuason like this.
  4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "My 89,328, I have never exercised the ABS yet. I just don't drive it that hard or fast to warrant its activation."

I think it's a good idea to exercise it, regardless of your driving style. Just do a practice panic stop when out and about/traffic permits.

5. Kent Dellenbusch

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    Thanks, Mike, I probably will. It's good to know its limits and reaction.

6. Kent Dellenbusch

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    Great news for you. I see you're a co-pilot. What airline do you fly for? Do you fly GA? My wife and I own/operate Cessna Flyer and Piper Flyer Associations. https://www.cessnaflyer.org/ & https://www.piperflyer.org/ Something else in common.

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Thank you.

Haha, sorry, that's not the story behind my screen name. It's a nickname I got within a group of friends whom are all into cars and racing. I'm an odd one in that respect that I find it just about as exciting and fun running in the passenger seat as being in the drivers seat. I'm the guy who doesn't get nausea when running co-pilot at rallies or on the track, so when ever somebody needed someone to go along for a roadtrip, track instruction or testing, or map reader on a rally etc. I'm in. That's the short explanation behind my username. On the forum, it also refers to the fact that I like to help out if possible. :)

Kent Dellenbusch likes this.
  8. Kent Dellenbusch

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    Now I see. Thank you.

9. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #34 ginoBBi512, Sep 4, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    You dont ever need to activate the ABS, Im sure your driving your machine quickly, my opinion is that if you have to use your ABS, your not driving the car correctly, ABS, in my opinion is for driving and have to stop suddenly in the rain, and even then, if your driving according to the conditions , ABS would not need to be activated, less some idiot in front of you locks up his brakes at speed, or having to brake when the road has oil or sand , or whatever on it .Im glad and fortunate that I own an 89, but if I owned a non ABS 328, Im sure all of my posts would be almost exactly the same, lest my bragging about the 89 s being the absolute best of the 3x8s since they're inception in 1976.

G

10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I've just bought a set of Michelin Pilot 4's to replace the 15 year old Pirelli P7's that were on the car, and the 30 year old Goodyear Eagle F1 NCT that was on the full size spare, which will be fitted this week.

I'll be sure to let you all know if the modern tyres cause the 328's body to depart from the chassis, due to being too modern a tyre, with too much grip for the car :)

11. RodC328gts

RodC328gts Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    what size Michelins? The std 328 sizes?

12. Kent Dellenbusch

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    RodC328gts likes this.
  13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I never cared for 89s because the ABS is constantly intervening. From day one I even triggered the ABS on the dealer lot. It was adapted from an entirely different car and it was to sensitive in the opinion of most who drove them early on.

14. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I was not aware of that Brian, I have to say, with my 89, its only been triggered on one occasion, it was at night, when I inadvertently stabbed the brake peddle before having to steer around something that I perceived was in the road. Could it be that with the wheels and tires Im using, my car stops better than stock, therefore the ABS not having to be activated as much ? Although with Kent s 89 , he said he has never activated his ABS . My wheels / tires 255 45 17s 235 45 17s rear / front

G

15. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    My Porsche has over 100 track events with the majority at Road Atlanta. Lap times were always a slight bit lower when the fuel tank is near empty. My track car weighs a little over 2900 pounds and has a 21 gallon fuel tank. Top speed at the end of the straights and braking points are affected by changes in weight. Lap times with a student along side of me and a full tank made quite a difference.

16. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    If one goes with bigger wheels, such as 17s instead of the 16s, and installs the proper tires to go along, as I did, your car will only improve , as a matter of fact, your chassis and suspension will encounter less stress , and less flex , which on a GTS is going to make a great improvement. My car will hang with a first gen 911 4S on canyon roads, I know, over the years I have played cat an mouse with a few, not a new one, Im talking first / 2nd gen models. I just love my Compomotives !! Continental Extreme Contact tires are in my estimation, the best value for the money, not necessarily the best tires. At 100,000 miles, my suspension was working so well, that after I rebuilt it, the most noticeable improvement, was when I replaced the motor mounts, which I did before the suspension rebuild.

Big G

17. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    I felt the ABS once on mine on a sandy road when I stopped, it did not impress me that much but at-least it felt like it's working ok, can't say too much more about it, does not bother me.

18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    We never saw Il Co-Pilota's car.