Looking to buy first Fcar on budget, which model least expensive to maintain | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Looking to buy first Fcar on budget, which model least expensive to maintain

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ferrariracer16, Nov 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Any car is cheaper to maintain with some wrenching and a LOT of research. If you don't plan on turning wrenches, no matter which car you buy, have an account with $10k in it at all times. You'll never be able to drive a Ferrari for the cost of a Buick. If you are looking at 360, Spring the initial $$$ for a manual tranny and your chance of an expensive repair goes way down. Not really sure what else to say with the amount of info given.

daytona355 likes this.
  2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    No, since a proper budget includes provisions for maintanence, I don't agree with the quoted sentence, which reeks of condescension when taken at face value from my POV.

Maybe this wasn't your intent, an example of how written words lack context, it just set me off because it takes years for me to scrimp and save for toys.....where the hell is a Santa Claus for adults? C'mon Santa, how about a high mile Ford GT, I'm not picky.

3. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    #28 RonH, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    I actually agree with Tarek307’s comment about not buying a Ferrari if you are on a budget and certainly no condescension is intended by me. If you are on a budget then you need to look at the overall monetary costs of car ownership, not just maintenance costs. There are the initial purchase costs that are significantly higher than the “average” car for the budget minded, depreciation costs (and even higher depreciation cost if you actually intend to drive it), insurance costs and unexpected but very significant repair costs beyond normal maintenance to also factor in. No matter what Ferrari you chose, it is not for the faint of heart. It has to be a passion without concern for budget IMHO.

My rule of thumb when I buy a car (beyond simply a Hyundai for basic transportation) is I have to pay cash for it and have to be able to walk away from it and get nothing for it. While that might be unpleasant if that were to occur, it won’t change my life. If I can’t say that then I can’t afford it (ie. no Bugatti’s in my future). ;)

4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    #29 EastMemphis, Nov 21, 2019
    I could have asked the exact same question as the OP back in March when I started my search for an F car. Instead, I spend months reading this forum, researching the various models, talking with my family as to what they thought was a good choice and deciding exactly how I was going to buy it. My budget was the amount of money I could throw away and not feel any pain.

The goal: A car with the most fun potential, the least amount of electronics, normally aspirated, convertible and one with a reasonable expectation of reliability and maintainability. After months of thought on the topic, I decided on a gated 360 Spider. I wrote a long and boring article for my blog on the topic if anyone is interested.

https://www.ferrari360.org/2019/09/my-pursuit-of-ferrari.html

Two months into Ferrari ownership, I can honestly say that the car has been a wonderful experience and so far, easy to keep going. I've had my little trials and tribulations regarding reliability that one might expect in an exotic, but the cost to own the car outside the purchase has been the cost of gas.

daytona355 and RonH like this.
  5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I always like these kind of threads. What I consider reasonable might seem crazy to others. OP my advise go buy a Alfa 4C it is a better car than the 360 and with a little after market help can be better than a 430. It will not cost you much to maintain and you can get one with a warranty for around 50K. I have had 3 360's and 2 430's and I am looking for another 4C now (yeah it is that good).If something goes wrong with a 360/430 you can easily get hit with a huge bill. The words budget, or cheap should probably not be used to describe these cars or the repair bills if something major goes wrong. There are not many people here with my experiences with cars and I am not trying to deter you, just give you the best advise that an someone who has owned close to 500 cars (and has worked on countless more) can offer. good luck

6. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Maybe you have been asked before ...but anyhow if you could only own 1 car right now in Nov 2019 what would you choose? Lets assume money no object and that you will use it as opposed to stick in the garage 24/7?

daytona355 likes this.
  7. bertha01

bertha01 Rookie

Sep 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    bertha ales
    Nice...[​IMG]

8. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    360/430 have hidden suspension bill issues .F1 gear pump and fluid leaks .+ a shed load of ECU ,s to go bang .
    Your lowest Ferrari to maintenance is anything from the 308 series inc GT 4 and the run out 328 modal .
    A well sorted carburettor early pre 80 car is even less . As simple as a wheelbarrow.

LightGuy likes this.
  9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    People always ask me what is your favorite car, I usually say the one I'm driving today. But to try and answer your question, it would be a 992 turbo, which I know is not out yet.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Maybe at one time, but now majors cost $6-8k. AC constantly needs work costing $1-2k a pop.

11. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #36 LightGuy, Nov 21, 2019
    Right now I'm getting re-infatuated with the 4C like when it first came out.
    Now that production nears the end its only a matter of time before the enthusiast market wakes up and discovers this car.
    It's today's 246 Dino. Or Lancia Stratos.
    A 5 minute pop-in ECU gets 30% more HP and Torque, keeps the warranty when restored to stock, and makes even more a little monster.than it already is.

However, to the OP; if its a Ferrari hell or high water a 308 or 328 can't be beat.
    Lots of wearable parts like brake pads come from normal (cheap) cars.
    Dont get suckered into FERRARI ONLY parts and service for a 3X8.

12. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I think when it comes to the high cost of ‘hidden’ failures waiting to happen as mentioned here, these are negated if the car is well looked after, preventative action is taken rather than reactive repair, and also very mileage dependent and storage dependent. In all the cars I’ve had, and that’s every ferrari model from 1995 thru to 458 and Cali T, only one big (to me) repair, and that was a radiator failure on a 599 - covered by warranty but, with the preventative suspension bits they did at the same time with the front of car removed, cost the warranty £8000 ($10000). Aside from that, the exhaust headers on the 430’s were both done by ferrari, one when they fell off! again during warranty, and once on insistence prior to purchase.

however, entering into buying these cars, whatever the model, without the ability to allocate reasonably large funds within a short period of time for unexpected events is prudent, and if you can’t put your hand on multiple thousands quickly, then ANY exotic, even many M and AMG or RS cars are probably left for someone else to own and hire them when you want a day of fun. Under normal circumstances, a well looked after car will be great to own, cost barely more than a nice merc, but if they go wrong, as all could, then costs are commensurate with the ORIGINAL purchase price, not the price you paid

EastMemphis likes this.
  13. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    If you’re on a budget, are handy with a spanner and order the parts yourself, I know of no easier and cheaper Ferrari to maintain than the Mondial, 308 and 328.

Mind you imvho, the modern Ferraris (post 2008, post California) are reliable and affordable to service, but not as easy to do it on your own. However, if you take to the official dealer or reputed independent, you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Won’t break the bank in any way as some vintage, DIY enthusiasts think.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

daytona355 likes this.
  14. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    And just like that, *poof* goes the OP.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  15. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #40 arizonaitalian, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    rob...ya gotta stop with that untrue nonsense. I have seen dozens of 360 "major" services and the only item therein that is not the same as an F430 is the belts and tensioner bearings (and those are 1800-3800, usually closer to 2400). A "major" on a 360 is a slang term for the service wherein you change all fluids and filters and the timing belts and auxiliary belts. I've never seen that service cost more than $6000 (I've paid - at a dealer - no more than $4000 and seen many receipts for no more than $5000).

Show me any routine service on a 360 that costs more than on a 430 aside from the once every 3(+) years belt job for less than $3000...

Show me all of those 360 "major" alone for "near 5-digits"...(not one with engine mounts and trans mounts, and bushings, and plugs etc that also go bad on 430)

The simple truth is a 360 costs about $800 per year more than routine service on a 430 because of the cam belts (setting breakage aside...but, speaking of that, I've not seen any issues on the 360 that come up more often or cost a lot more than the same issues on a 430...there might even be some more problematic issues on the 430 like the exhaust manifolds).

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  16. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    And, for the record, when this topic comes up, the correct answer each and every time is "Corvette".:D

LARRYH and daytona355 like this.
  17. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Sure, that *and* luck.

18. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Hahaha..yeah, I recently had a conversation with a well known Ferrari mechanic because I am looking to my my major PLUS variators, both tensioners, etc. done. Supplying all my own parts to the tune of about $1500 (using all Dayco belts), I asked him what the labor damage would be, the variators being the bulk of it...expecting the worst, he told me a horror story of having to pull cams, wrestling with old variators, etc, while my heart sank deeper and deeper. Finally, he said "the last guy I did variators for ended up with $3000 in labor." I almost started laughing...here I was expecting to take out a second mortgage..

daytona355 likes this.
  19. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    You win F-Chat for the day.

20. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero

buy a 328 its cheap and easy to maintain

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, I went to an expert to settle this. James Patterson at Norwoods Auto Italia. To give you some credit I was surprised to hear that the 360 major is significantly less than the 328 because no valve covers to remove or adjust valves etc. However, then that discovery means the 308/328 is out of the picture now for least expensive to maintain.

So here is the going rate for a major done by someone reputable no short cuts.

328: $6-8k

360: $3.5-5k

430: $1.5-2k

22. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #47 arizonaitalian, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Exactly. So the delta between a 360 and 430 is, per the Norwoods guy (and, I should add, every other source) $2-3k every 3 years.

Which is exactly what I said (its the belt job cost, which averages around $2400, which is $800 per year if one sticks to the 3-year change interval).

So...not sure I deserve any credit for pointing out the facts, but since you are giving it out, it should be "full credit" not "some". A simple, "I checked and you were right, sorry I was misinformed" would have been more accurate.

daytona355 likes this.
  23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Geez you are being an *******, chill out. the 430 is less expensive to maintain compared to the 360 and that was my original point.

Shark01 and LARRYH like this.
  24. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The 458 requires less than its predecessors, right? They seem relatively reliable.

daytona355 likes this.
  25. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I’m gonna flip all the cards and say ..... NONE !