Looking to buy my first supercar | FerrariChat

Looking to buy my first supercar

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Uninfluenced, Nov 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Uninfluenced

Uninfluenced Rookie

Dec 23, 2020
    Dallas Tx
    Full Name:
    Matt Holden
    So looking to purchase my first superCar. I’m so torn between the 570gt or the Audi R8 plus. Both are great looking. But the 570 is a little more and according to everyone has issues. It’s not my daily but I don’t want tons of issues. Both are use 570 has 2309 miles and 14 months on warranty the Audi had 23 months and 7054 miles. Both 2017s

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Keep in mind that only the complainers post their problems. The vast majority just drive and enjoy their cars. I am coming up on 2 years with 570 and zero issues, it actually looks like an exotic, I rarely see another one and pretty much nothing can keep up with it on the road or track.

Drive them both and buy the one you want. For me...... I'd rather take public transport than an R8! :)

vincep99 likes this.
  3. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    R8 are amazing cars and look great, until a Mclaren shows up and makes it disappear ;), don't consider R8 as an exotic, more in the realm of Porsche/Maserati.

If this is your first exotic then buy an exotic that makes ppl heads turn :)

slm likes this.
  4. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Ingenere is 100% correct, only whiners post.

5. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I have an R8 and a 720 Spider. The R8 is a great car, but dull. You could never say that about the 720.

Joe

6. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #6 Fireman1291, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2022
    Buddy of mine had a driveway party the other day. No R8's but we had some Ferrari's, Vipers, MB GTr's etc…. The McLarens stole the show. I love this damn car and once you drive the hell outta one, you will too!

Attached Files:

7. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I will get around to taking one out at some point - likely a 570s

Was in an Mp4-12C and that blew my mind on how good it was. Just the potential Maint costs are worrisome. And I'm not paying 5k a year for a warranty.

Robb

wildkalabaw likes this.
  8. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I had a 12c early on. Still one of my favorites that I have owned. Got rid of it as the dealer network was not very good or helpful at the time. Been through Porsche’s and Ferrari’s since. I just traded my 488 for a 600LT spider and I could not be more pleased. I love this car. Fit and finis is good. I personally love the styling. Performance and handling are amazing. The car is very light and feels it. The car feels very special to drive.

I have to say the McLaren Philladelphia and McLaren dallas have been incredibly helpful in my transition. I’m a convert.

Robb, I think the maintenance issues have been a bit overblown by some. I think the majority of owners will say the cars are pretty reliable.

wildkalabaw and Robb like this.
  9. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Joe. Can you tell me about your ownership experience with the 720.
    I am planning on purchasing one soon. Thanks.

Robb likes this.
  10. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I received my 2020 Spider on May 15th. I now have nearly 7,000 miles. I had the Windshield crack in August and replaced in September. I have had no other issues.
    The car is a beast. I traded up from a 12C, which I loved.

Joe

Robb likes this.
  11. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Joe: Do you know what caused the windshield to crack? Stone?

12. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    It is a design flaw. They claim the replacement is a redesign. We will see.

Joe

13. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Was it a small/large crack? Where on the window did it appear? Was the car still driveable after it happened?

14. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I first spotted it on the lower Driver's side about 6" long. By the time they replaced it, 1 Month later, it was 12'' long. I drove it every day.

Joe

15. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Just showed up. A rock did not hit the windshield? Weird. Some kind of stress crack I guess. Thanks for the reply.

16. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    They agree that it is a design problem and say they fixed it. Time will tell.

Joe

17. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Thanks for the reply.

18. DavidR

DavidR Rookie

Aug 15, 2014
    I know all Cars depreciate but I am thinking about buying 570s spider. 2018. High spec. £110k. However With all the talk about banning sale of petrol cars from 2035 what do you think about depreciation now? Just don’t want it to plummet. Probably keep it three years.
    Thanks

19. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    £110k seems like a good price to me. This equates to $142K, which is not bad. I looked at a demo 2018 with ~ 700 miles and it was $185K.

I would not worry about depreciation due to the ban. I think (or at least hope) that our gasoline cars will be grandfathered in, and that they will ban the sales on new ones. Of course they probably will have city bans. If this is this case, then maybe our cars will appreciate!

20. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    If it makes you happy and you can afford it go for it. While you are alive, live!!

21. Edward

Edward Rookie

Sep 3, 2007
    I have a 570S Spider and have had no issues with it.

22. Edward

Edward Rookie

Sep 3, 2007
    I have a 570S Spider and its great both in respects to performance, handling and a head turner. People constantly come up to me to talk about the car and take photos of it from afar. Nothing comes close. Great car.

wildkalabaw likes this.