Looking to take 458 on a track - UK | FerrariChat

Looking to take 458 on a track - UK

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by DavidC458, May 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DavidC458

DavidC458 Rookie

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    David C
    I would like to take my 458 out on a track to really open it up.

Where can I do this, ideally North West, and can you have the track private, even for just an hour?

Do I need special insurance?

Thanks

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    im an instructor for lots of hpde groups in northeast and i rarely see ferraris on track which is a shame. its really the way to enjoy them to the utmost. looking up track days in your area is the start. try www.motorsportsreg.com. sign up and follow their instructions. thats about it. renting a track for your own use is typically a $20k/day proposition. never heard of renting it for a portion of the day. your street insurance will probably exclude accidents that happen on track but track day insurance is available if you want it. good luck!

DavidC458 likes this.
  3. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    oops, sorry i didnt see the uk part of your post.

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Your normal insurance will probably not cover you

Every racing circuit has track days - some better organised than others: https://www.trackdays.co.uk/

For your first time try to get an instructor - I'm not aware of solo track rentals (but if you are rich enough.....) - having said that one year arranged with Thruxton to have a lesson in my car at the end of one of their racing school days

So maybe this would suit http://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/products/novice-only-car-trackday/

DavidC458 likes this.
  5. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    Is it only $20k a full day in NE US like a lime rock or poconos? That seems not bad if I can get a decent group together for this.

6. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Yes, article in auto week says watkins glen is about 20k per day. Might have to pay for extras like ems crew, insurance, etc too.
    just go to event with fca that only gets about 50 cars showing up and its like having track to yourself for about 350$ per day. much easier and cheaper that way.

7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    $350 per day per car with only 50 cars is a steal - not sure how it adds up to pay for a $20K bill though (350x50 = 17500).
    In France track days with up to 70 cars are about €450 (could be €400 on smaller tracks).

8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    might even be less than 350 per day. its not a money maker for the club either. they use membership monies from those that pay but dont participate to subsidize track days. thats why pca, fca are less expensive than the for profit companies like hod, scda, nasa, etc. but imo, the for profits run better events so you get what you pay for. regardless, i dont see any reason to renting track privately. besides, theyre probably booked every day for yrs in advance so getting a date would be hard to do