Losing 6 cylinders after extremely hot weather and/or after a wash?? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Losing 6 cylinders after extremely hot weather and/or after a wash??

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ferralc, May 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I wanted to update everybody that I found the culprit, and it was indeed the panel fuse. I started the car from dead cold and it was obviously running one bank only, the motor was hesitating to keep idling and I touched the precats, and while RH (1-6) got warm LH (7-12) was completely cold (checking the exhaust pipes was not a good test because both were releasing the same flow due to the shared muffler)
    I started driving and it was obviously that one bank was dead.

So the last and final test was to wiggle the brown cable connected to the Y connector slot P63 while the car was running and VROOOM the bank restarted. It was so obvious the change of idle.
    Well now I will bypass both fuel pumps P63 (7-12) that is burnt and P64 (1-6) that is fine just to be safe.

The car has already bypassed both waterfans and the A/C
    It is obvious both things were done by different mechanics because the A/C was bypassed with a blade connector and both water fans were bypassed by connecting them directly to the relay.
    Which one is a cleaner and more recommendable fix??

I want to help everybody for all your help.
    THANK YOU!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If you have read those 114 prior threads, you'd know that I prefer going directly from the relay, BUT in a way that allows the relay to be insert/removed from its socket just like the stock arrangement and has no outwardly visible changes...

3. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Thanks Steve!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #54 ferralc, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
    I sent the pictures to my mechanic and he said he will fix all the connectors again, that either connecting directly to the relay or a blade connector is a "a stop gap" fix. so I am sure he will do something similar to what you said.
    I just can't understand why 2 different mechanics fixed the A/C and water fans differently and they did not fix the others as a preventive measure.
    By the way my mechanic added a 8th connector to your list
    1 AC
    2,3 Fuel pumps
    4,5 Water fans
    6 Oil radiator fans
    7 AC condenser fan
    8 Starter.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, the start command signal going to the starter solenoid is needlessly passed into the w connector, onto the PCBA, and out the y connector so it's a good idea to just directly connect those wires together with a jumper and eliminate relying on two of the stock 2-prong terminals in each signal. Same situation for the brake light signal (that carries a surprisingly high total current of ~8A) that does the same thing (into w, out y, and doesn't connect to anything else on the PCBA). One difference for those two signals is that there is no relay involved so more straight-forward to modify -- I've done both on my TR (after having trouble with both ;))..

6. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Thanks Steve