Lost brake pedal on track day, Pad knockback? | FerrariChat

Lost brake pedal on track day, Pad knockback?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by kenneyd, Apr 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    So this has happened twice to me, (quite scary) but Im having trouble determining what exactly is going on.
    Initially, my assumption was that I boiled my fluid, but now I really dont think that is the case.

Stock f355:
    Roebling road a few years back, took it easy no issues at all. plenty of 90-130mph brake use
    Dozens of auto crosses, no issues.
    The FIRM roadcouse, After a few sessions My pedal felt a little soft, so I came in to the pits. While parking my pedal went all the way to the floor. After cooling off, the pedal came back, however, I took it very easy the rest of the day.

I assumed, old fluid plus small brakes, Likely just boiled them. So I upgraded the cheesy stock front brakes to porche big reds, 13.5" rotors, New textar pads F&R, and full flush with new Pentosin Super DOT 4 fluid.

Since then, Ive done dozen more auto crosses, and then yesterday I went back to the FIRM.
    After about 45 mins of driving (over several hours) Again my pedal went to the floor on the on the straight after the hairpin. Pulled into the pits, and immediately check my rotor temps, about 400F both front a rear. I checked a few other cars at the track day, most were in the 600-900 degree range.
    I let it cool, packed up and drove home, brakes felt fine.
    A guy there said it could be brake pad knockback.
    Ive been reading about knock back this morning and it seems likely, but it also seem that the cause can be hard to determine. Vibration, bumps, poor condition calipers, and wheel bearings all listed as possible causes.

I put the car on my lift and inspected in. Pads and rotors still look almost new. I suppose if I am picky, I can get the tiniest deflection in the right rear wheel bearing. Bled the brakes, and got no bubbles.
    In other words, everything seems fine?
    I'll probably order a new rear wheel bearing, but If a bad wheel bearing is causing brake rotor deflection during turns enough to retracted the pads causing this issue, would it happen every time i turn hard? not just after 45mins?

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    When pedal goes to floor did you just ride it to the floor with minimal braking and come in the pits?

Did you go to floor and pump brake pedal and did you get brakes?

You are on street tires?

The big reds are the 993 calipers yes all 4 or just fronts?

Did you bolt red on without regard to master cylinder matching?

Manda racing likes this.
  3. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Street tires yes, Michelin pilot super sports

The big reds are from a 993 TT.
    I installed just on the front. While the big red's are significantly bigger caliper, the Pistons are exactly the same size and displacement as the stock 355 fronts.
    I would not be able to install them on the rear since they are significantly different displacement than the factory rear 355 calipers.

To answer your first question, in hindsight, for diagnostic purposes I really wish I would have paid more attention at the time of the failure.
    The pedal went to the floor with very minimal actual breaking. I remember immediately downshifting, and then trying the brakes again where they maybe we're a little bit more effective than the previous attempt. And then I pretty much just limped into the pits after that.

4. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    If that is the case, it likely wasn't the pistons pushed back/ pads spread. One stroke of the brake pedal should take up all the slack. The second push should have produced stopping force.

5. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    On the bright side, you have an excuse to go do another track day. You have to reproduce the problem to try the 'pumping the pedal' test!

6. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I know right lol? It was great fun, if we get another 70 degree weekend I probably will

7. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I'll be waiting for my invite! I live an hour north of Tampa.

8. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Knock back can and does happen with all cars on the track to some extent. You'll see most drivers tap the brake pedal with their left foot, even if not left foot braking, before coming into a brake zone to reset the caliper pistons.

From your description it looks like you overheated the brakes. While the brand and type of brake fluid is normally the culprit, there are lots of other factors that go into brakes overheating including, how severe is the brake zone, distance between braking zones, weight of the car, are you using traction control (which constantly uses the brakes), size of brake calipers, type of brake compound, etc.

Heat doesn't cause knock-back but it gets confusing because you don't get knock back unless you are driving fast which generates heat. So many times it can seem heat related. If you just cruise around the track you don't get overheated and you also don't normally notice knock back.

Knock back is generally caused by turns, vibrations and bumps. Sebring, for example, is notorious for knock back.

If you tap the brakes before a braking zone and it fixes the issue than it is knock back. If it doesn't than overheating is probably the culprit.

9. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I had another person there suggest it may have been my conservative breaking may have contributed to some brake issues. I definitely was breaking earlier rather than late. the guy suggested that breaking hard, late and quick builds up less heat and allows for more cooling opposed to breaking early, long and moderate.

My car does not have traction control.

Since I was convinced (likely wrongly) that the first time I was at this track I had boiled my brakes, once it happened again, I just assumed I did the same thing. I had no idea to pumping the pedal might bring back my brakes.

Even on the way home, I stood on the brakes at a traffic light, rock hard pedal.

I think the plan is to buy a second set of pads for the track, maybe some better fluid... And go try this again.
    A lot of the racing forums mentioned that they tap the brakes frequently to prevent this.

10. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    LV has the right answer.

You need to figure out which it is or even combo. Sometimes there are other less popular failures like failing master or leaking residual pressure valve or failing caliper seals. Problem is the next threshold brake failure could be your last. That means you check everything and go through entire system with shotgun approach Unless you can duplicate the problem safely.

were the calipers new? Yes = less desire to rebuild. Pulled off another car I would rebuild. Brake bleeding two man method is more reliable and better. Many don’t believe that. Pull residual pressure valve make sure it works. Test master does it hold pressure or slowly sink? Test booster too. Check wheel bearings. If you can feel any play they are bad and have larger runout under 3000lb car at speed. Consider improvements if you track, like regular bleeding schedule, better fluids motul 600, brake ducts, 2 piece floating rotors, stainless steel brake lines, higher heat capacity pads, and ti shield shins.

understand limit of solid rotor vs. improvement with a two piece vs. a true floating two piece rotor.

if none of that works you have to go with a better system like stop tech or see what Essex has and consider anti knockback spring in the caliper. Or you are stuck with left foot tap to set the pads before you get to the brake zone if the problem of knock back remains

You are not pushing the Car so should be well with in the capability of stock 355 system. There is some kind of fault for sure.

LuigiVampa and kenneyd like this.
  11. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The fronts, the Big reds are new. The rears are from 1999. Since the problem presented its self before the big reds (if it truly was the same problem), I would imagine its not related to the Big reds, but rather the rears/ master, abs, or pressure vlave/ accumulator. I see in the workshop manual there is a pressure test, I'll start there.
    The car was bled with a motive bleeder, but i will try the two man method instead.

I've already got a wheel bearing on order, I just cant wrap my mind around .020" play on one wheel could cause a pedal to go to the floor. And why it would only do it twice over 4 years with dozens of events in between.?
    Both failures happened after a considerable amount of heat buildup 15min of lapping compared to street use or even autocross events. However I would imagine the heat buildup is local to the wheel area, I can't imagine any of that extreme heat makes its was to the master/abs/etc area?
    After reading this i went out to the car, stood on the pedal for 1min+ never moved.
    Thanks for the replies, I will be looking into this. When i figure it out, I'll report back

12. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Is the brake fluid the same as what you used before? You probably already know wet boiling point is a key measure of how much heat various brake fluids can handle, so maybe look into a better one. Good luck figuring things out.

13. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Rear brakes are rarely the issue for brakes problems except for bias issues. They do not normally manifest as the problems you are describing.

As FatBillyBob stated it can always be a combination of issues and that sometimes becomes a ***** to diagnose.

You can never compare street or autocross use to track use. Trust me - you can almost never replicate brake problems on the street that you experience on the track.

You might try getting temperature stickers for each caliper or have someone with a laser thermometer take your brake temperature the moment you get into the pits.

14. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Try Moltul RB660 brake fluid. Also the street style Textar pads probably can’t deal with the brake heat like race pads can.

I haven’t driven FIRM...I’m a Sebring, Homestead guy....Id love to get a few lap at a FIRM though but hear it’s hard on brakes. Sebring is very hard on brakes...but Sebring is hard on everything.

15. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Motul is good stuff, and I used it for a bunch of years before switching to Castrol SRF. That is what I use in my Porsche Cayman race car. Never have a fluid boiling issue.

That being said, my brake fluid gets flushed and replaced several times a year. The less variables you have the less things can go wrong.

Agree that race pads are needed.

mdrums likes this.
  16. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Luigi I also come from the Porsche world and use to do a lot of Chin and PCA track days. Sebring is my home track. I am sure we've seen each other. Plus I know if you from Rennlist too.

I have a 488 now...I do less track events these days so I thought I'd get a Ferrari. I do want to take it to a Chin event and was planning on instructing and just running the Ferrari a few laps in the morning then after lunch session. Will be interesting to see how the Ferrari does compared to my 991 GT3 at Sebring

See ya!

17. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Hey mdrums!

Yes, I am on RL a lot. Seems to be more activity over there than here but this is rapidly becoming a place I check.

I was at Sebring just a couple of months ago for the PCA race but it seems a million years ago at this point.

Next time I am at the track I plan on doing some laps in my 328 to see what it can do but I will never really track it. I'm sure you will have fun in your 488.

Hopefully we all get back to the track soon! Be well.

mdrums likes this.
  18. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Just something to consider about SRF fluid. It is considered the best in that it won't boil. I never use it. Brakes are all about managing heat. It's your car's MV*2. So the faster you go or the heavier the car the more brakes you need. I want the worst part of my bake system to be my fluid. I want to use a mediocre fluid and still have all the brakes I need because I want the warning that a boiling fluid gives (the soft pedal) that I am approaching a limit on braking for that race. I want to have enough head room designed into my brake system so that I can use mediocre fluid. If on the other hand SRF never boils where is the next weak link in your system? Boiling fluid is a good thing. You have plenty of warning something isn't right.

The downside to what I want in a brake system is usually weight! For more capacity that might mean a bigger rotor and more rotating mass or a bigger caliper, or bigger brake ducts adding more drag as examples. So the winners engineer at the limit. The more money at stake the more on the limit they go, the more risk is taken. I'm just a long time club racer with a day job and take no risk.

Manda racing and Dogdish like this.
  19. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    #19 Ky1e, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    OP-
    What you described doesn't sound like knock-back. Knock-back is fixed after a quick hit of the pedal.

Side note: knock-back is much more likely to happen after aggressive curb strikes and on thinner brake pads (due to more piston travel). Start track days with fresh pads.

To me sounds like brake overheating. I would change/bleed fluid, start aggressive track days with new pads (new pads have more material to absorb heat than thinner pads) and always a fresh bleed to insure a firm pedal. This should be done every time before tracking a street car. Brake overheating and fade happens on most street cars during aggressive track sessions-- usually first presents itself after the hardest high speed brake zone on the track. It can be dangerous so its good you caught it.

The most important thing is to be aware as a driver as soon as you first feel a longer brake pedal and/or soft pedal. A soft pedal from overheating can quickly become a a pedal to the floor braking incident if you dont notice the early signs. When you first feel it happening you need to immediately back off and slow down to let them cool and preferably come into the pits. For diagnosis, on track give it some pumps and see if that immediately brings the firm pedal back or if it is a slower progression to a firm pedal.

Street cars, including Ferrari's have no/poor brake cooling and the brakes overheat easily. I have driven my 458 at 2 tracks (Sebring and PBIR) and it happened at both (and I would start with fresh pads, high temp fluid, bleed). The 458 has the same brake system as the 458 Challenge car (which wont have this issue), but the Challenge car has brake cooling ducting (as all race cars do) that specifically directs air over the the brakes to cool them and street cars dont have this.

We get soft pedals all the time on my race cars but only in practice after many sessions and we know it is time for new pads and a bleed. For races we always start with those so its rare to happen in a race ubnless htere is a system failure.

If you want to be safe, have your master brake cylinder checked out as well. Brakes are just too important on track not to make sure everything is tip top.

Congratulations on the hard and aggressive braking, that means you were having fun!

BTW brake overheating/brake fade is likely what killed this guy at PBIR: http://gm5-lkweb.newscyclecloud.com/news/20190628/lawyers-blame-instructor-killed-in-crash-for-lamborghinis-brakes-failing
    -

Manda racing and NbyNW like this.
  20. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    KY1e, what pads are you using on the 458?

21. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I dont remember what pads I used. I tracked it then bought race cars (due to this and other safety issues) and once I got race cars I never tracked my Fcars or any street car again. At the time I'd have Ferrari do a pre track service and put in new pads, high temp fluid/bleed.

After T7 at Sebring my pedal would get very soft and a couple times was soft enough it went to the floor into T10 where car slowed but I had to go straight onto the run off. At PBIR in the Summer I got brake overheat alarms and would have to end session and let them cool.

I overheated the Fcar brakes so badly at Sebring in the Summer that I changed the surface of the CCM's. Only had 8% wear but had to get all new rotors because they became rough and were tearing thru pads quickly. After that I bought a race car and started racing. It kept progressing (last year did 40 races in IMSA/SRO/Crevantic 24hHour Series)

Manda racing and mdrums like this.
  22. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #22 fatbillybob, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    A similar thing happens to steel brake systems when the wrong pad is overheated on track. We see this with street pads used on track. You can get pad transfer as a smear of overheat pad compound embedded on the rotors. This causes judder. You can sometimes scrape it off with a more aggressive pad to clean it off or sometimes you have to turn the rotors or just trash can them. The worse thing is a newbie not understanding what is now wrong with the brakes because they seem to sort of stop ok. Overheated pads can actually chunk and pieces fall off unknown by the newbie and can lead to a total brake failure. A streetcar can have a 200+ mph top speed and brakes capable of slowing the car but pounding repeatedly on a track at around a 100 mile average speed can often be just too much for the brake system.

this is a failed stock 2019 mustang GT OE pad stock brembo big brakes 20 minute session 1 track day to test the car only 200 miles on the chassis at WSIR a not brake intensive track. The pad is burnt and pieces chucked off. This is an unsafe pad.

Ky1e likes this.
  23. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Ky1e, Sebring is my home track...been tracking there since 2005....most Chin but a lot of PCA too. My idea is to do a Chin day as an instructor and do just a morning session and 1 after lunch. Just to have a little fun in my 488 to open it up and see what it feels like in the corners a little. Definitely not going to run it like I use to run my Porsches. I had read hear that stock pads won't last and to use at least Pagid RSC1 pads. I do not want to get back into shaping pads around just for a couple of fun sessions at a track event. I will definilty switch to Motul RBF660 fluid though.

24. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    The Fcar can handle Sebring for a normal tracking session but I admit I was going all out and it was Summer.

mdrums likes this.
  25. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    It’s not pad knock back. As mentioned above, the pedal comes back on the second pump, because the pad is literally bumped/knocked away from the piston. This happens for me when I drive up on certain curbing aggressively, and it’s always in the same places. The pedal goes “Long” but just until the piston/pad are again married.

I have unfortunately extensive experienced with soft/long/no pedal (though not in a Ferrari) and at some track you can drive around heating related issues, but I don’t advise it for track days because if you lose brakes entirely, you can hit someone’s car. Be careful.