Lotus Esprit V8 serious engine problem | FerrariChat

Lotus Esprit V8 serious engine problem

Discussion in 'British' started by MD355, Jun 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    The other night I was returning home after a nice drive... 1 miles away from home I slow down to exit the highway and immediately I see the low oil pressure light and start hearing some metallic noise from the engine...

I stop to a halt and switch the engine off immediately... As I am close to home I park the car and return the next morning... As I start the engine immediately I hear some metallic banging, so I call road assistance and take my car to the mechanic..

The verdict : the bearing from one of the conrods failed due to lack of oil pressure... fortunately the crankshaft was not damaged and there is very little and almost no metal shavings... The reason for low oil pressure is assumed to be the oil pressure release valve (most likely) or the oil pump itself (unlikely).. We will find out soon...

In the mean time, my mechanic found that the liners of the engine are leaking water... My car is 2001, but still the sealant probably failed..

Has anyone experience either of the 2 problems I am describing : low oil pressure , failed liner seal ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    In the pictures it shows salt deposit from the coolant that leaked over time from the engine liners... It seems to be common problem the sealant btw engine block and liners fails when engine overheats...