low oil pressure | FerrariChat

low oil pressure

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by rick ollis, May 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rick ollis

rick ollis Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Rick 458
    After returning from a short ride I noticed a warning message indicating "low oil pressure
    shut off motor" on the left side display. The oil level is about 1/4 inch down from the top. The oil gauge reads very low at idle. If you look at the gauge as a clock 0 is at 7:00, the pressure seems to be at around 8 at idle.
    Has anybody had or heard or any issues regarding oil pressure. I'm hoping it is a gauge problem.
    It's sat. afternoon so I won't be able to talk with the dealer (Ferrari of N.E.) until mon.

Thanks, Rick

2. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I have not heard of an oil pressure problem. I have had my 458 for close to a year with no oil lights or problem.

Good luck

Lee

3. rick ollis

rick ollis Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Rick 458
    Great news, The culprit was just a bad sending unit!!!!

By the way I got the car about a month ago and have put about 600 miles on it. This car is IMHO by far the best sports car Ferrari has made period. I've owned a scud, 3 430's and 3 360's as well as a ford GT. I read quite a lot of debate, guys favoring some of these over the 458 and simply put I just don't get it. The knock on the 458 seems to be that it hasn't the soul of some earlier models. My opinion is that you just have to know how to drive it. The car clearly has a " doctor jeckell and Mr. Hyde " personality. When one wants the closest thing to an F1 car for the road just dial it in and go. When one wants to kick back and have a relaxed drive (rare) dial that in and go.
    I find it really an amazing car!

Avia11 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That is great. 99% of the time with new and properly maintained engines, this is the case.

Thanks for letting us know!

5. PHC1

PHC1 Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2007
    Pa
    Full Name:
    Serge
    I agree 100%, amazing car.

Melvok likes this.
  6. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
    Well, good and bad news. It's good that it's just the sending unit. It's bad that the sending unit has failed after just 600 miles. :(

Melvok likes this.
  7. Jackp6

Jackp6 Karting

May 26, 2013
    So what is a typical oil pressure while the car is idling? The 458.

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I also had a bad sending unit. My symptoms were erratic readings and an error message.
    The engine was running fine. My oil level was just as yours. So I was pretty certain it was the oil pressure sender.

I’ve recently changed my front tires to the new Michelin 4S. Much better than the P zeros or MSS. Steering feel is now fantasti
    Also agree that the 458 is better car than the 360 430 and their LImited Editions,

My 458 has 80000 miles and I still love driving her.

9. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    80,000 miles? o_O Dang you have enjoyed that car!

Melvok likes this.
  10. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That's great news, Rick! If there was enough oil, the most likely culprit would be the sending unit. And I agree: the 458 is one of the best Ferraris of all time, which in turn means it's one of the best supercars of all time and the most addictive machine I've ever known. Keep enjoying in good health!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Melvok likes this.
  11. Jackp6

Jackp6 Karting

May 26, 2013
    So what is a typical oil pressure while the car is idling? The 458.

12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The pressure varies according to oil temperature and rpm.

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I never looked at the exact pressure ... :)

14. Jackp6

Jackp6 Karting

May 26, 2013
    I know that it varies at different rpm, but just curious when it’s at idle when you start?

15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    What is your gauge reading at start up?
    In So Cal with an ambient temp above 76 and a cold engine my pressure is around 70

What is your?

16. Jackp6

Jackp6 Karting

May 26, 2013
    Mine is about 30, but when I press the gas it goes up to 70-100 range

17. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    When you start car cold your pressure is 30
    What is the ambient air temp?

My pressure goes to 30 after engine warmi up

18. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The oil pressure at idle with the coolant and oil at operating temperature should be about 30PSI.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  19. Jackp6

Jackp6 Karting

May 26, 2013
    Thanks. I will now quit obsessing if that is normal.

20. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    For those of us using metric: roughly 2 bar?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

21. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    Hi
    Today i drove 20 minutes and everything workes normal.
    Suddenly a Warnung comes on .no oilpressure turn off the engine.
    I Switched the display and See If i drove more than Idle it workes normal.
    In idle 0 pressure and Warnung light comes on.
    Than the interesting thing .i Turn off the engine.turn the ignition switch to on and Start.7bar oilpressure.i think to high pressure.
    So i noticed that by higher rpms it seems to Stuck at 7 bar.no movement on the pointer
    I turn off the engine and turn the key to ignition on.(No engine running)oil pressure shows 7 bar Pointer Stuck.
    So Troubleshooting began
    I disconnect the oilpressure Switch.turn on the ignition.result:No Pointer in the gauge.i cleaned the connector only with wd40.connected it back and turn on the ignition .result: 0 bar on gauge with Pointer.Now i Start the engine.normal bar/Psi readable at idle cold 2 bar,more rpms higher bar readable.
    Testdrive 1 hour normal operations observed.
    So If you have this message on display.disconnect the connector on right side to the oilfilter case,and Connect it.you Save 400€

Melvok likes this.
  22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Baitschev likes this.
  23. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Does the manifold really need to be removed to access the sending unit?!?!? I haven't looked at the car, but it seems like 10x the work to access it than to do the work of replacing it. Has anyone been able to reach down and replace it without removing anything else?

24. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    I would def like to know this as well. Anyone have a part number? I’m about to replace mine

25. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I was able to reach mine comfortably using a top side creeper and reaching straight down. Look at post #96:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/diy-maintenance-458-thread.595191/page-4

I only unplugged mine and cleaned the connector with contact cleaner (never removed the sensor). Mine thankfully fixed with just a cleaning of the connector (these cars normally jump a little, but it shouldn't be very erratic at constant speeds). I don't see why I wouldn't have been able to reach down there with a proper socket, on a u-joint, or wobble extension, or something like that, and remove the sensor without removing the manifold. I would definitely like to know how you make out, please keep us informed.