Lower Inner bearing installation | FerrariChat

Lower Inner bearing installation

Discussion in '308/328' started by TommyA, Nov 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Is there a special way that the lower inner cam gear bearings are installed? The way I'm looking at it is either install them on the block and than force the shaft in to them by tightening the front cover to the block or install them on the shafts first and than install the cover on the block as a complete assy. In either case I see lots's of force been applied to the inner race of the bearing. Any suggestions?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Should not be all that tight a fit. I put them in the block and tap cover on with a rubber hammer. Factory built them that way. See no reason to reinvent the wheel here.

3. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Should I warm up the area around the bearings to expend them and make it easier for the shaft to drive in to the bearing?

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Why? In history no one else ever has.

5. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    When I put my timing cover on I thought something was misaligned but after several checks I just tapped quite firmly with a mallet on the pulley nuts and it slowly went on.

6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    It's rarely the case, that both inner and outer race are a tight fit. As a rule of thumb, you should always install the tight fit and apply the installation force on the corresponding ring.
    If the factory designed it the way Brian (rifledriver) described, the outer race seems to be the tight fit and the inner race on the shaft the loose fit. The bearings can stand a bit of axial force. IIRC the inner bearing is a 6201 (?). If so, according to the literature, it stands a static axial load of around 770N. (77kgs). That's a quarter of the static radial load. Bearings with an inner bore of more than 12mm stand an axial load of 0.5xCo. (half the value of the static radial load). Would be 154kgs. And 308kgs for the bearing pair. Or again 154kgs when calculating with the smaller value for bearings with an inner diameter less than 12mm.
    So careful tapping with a rubber hammer shouldn't do any harm to the two bearings.
    What's a bit strange for me, is that the outer race may become a loose fit too, when the aluminium block material expands as soon as things heat up. So it must be just the leverage forces, which prevent the outer race from spinning.

I am always amazed about this, when dismantling waterpumps. In most cases it's sufficient to heat the housing to about 80centigrades and the front bearing falls out just with the help of gravity.

Best from Germany
    Martin

7. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #7 obertRo, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Not exactly your question, Tommy, but perhaps helpful: When installing the outer cam drive bearings last year, I couldn't get them to press in for the life of me. I tapped them in on the shaft no problem, but the outer race just wouldn't go in. Tried heat on the block and freeze spray on the bearing, lots of swearing, etc. After several attempts over a couple weekends, I finally pulled them off the shaft (destroying them in the process) and found the outer diameter measurement was TWO mm out of spec! Lesson learned; I will Always measure new parts and not presume them to be right. By the way, the bearings were from Superformance, and to their credit, they did give me full credit $ for both lower cam drive bearings (one still new, one destroyed) which I sent back to them.
    Anyway, before you decide on a method of installation for your inner bearings, measure your new bearings to make sure they are correct!

8. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Thank you all for the feed back. I did put the heat gun on the bearings and the front cover on the freezer for awhile to try and avoid any possible damage to the bearings (petrified since I had previous bearing failure in the area). It went in pretty smooth with just light tapping with a rubber mallet.

9. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I took the old outer bearing and removed a bit of i.d. with a Dremel and sanding drum and used it to press both the inner and outer races at the same time. I have no idea if it made any difference in reality.