Lusso: One week in and...front bumper damage | FerrariChat

Lusso: One week in and...front bumper damage

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by obar, Jan 9, 2022.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. obar

obar Karting

Oct 28, 2007
    LOS ANGELES
    Full Name:
    Oscar
    #1 obar, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    Haven't even had time to post a "check my new ride out!" post yet and properly introduce myself to the forum before my new beautiful Lusso got hurt :(

The huge mistake I made was to go to dinner and let the valet park the car. Should have find a safe parking garage nearby and walked instead as I hate hate hate to leave my cars with strangers.

After dinner I see that the car is parked just two spots up of from where I dropped it off, jump in and drive home. Next day I started washing the car and right away noticed a huge gash/paint/scratch area on the right front bumper. Clearly the valet has driven too close to the curb but opted out of reporting it.

Now I'm about to start the process with the valet company and get this sorted out, but I'm devastated for getting my first Ferrari damaged in this way and have no idea what a new bumper will do to its value.

Anyone had a similar experience?
    And also, how do you all deal with valet at hotels and other places where self-park isn't an option?

I could leave the Lusso at home and drive the daily everywhere but, in a way that defeats the purpose of having a Ferrari made for weekend trips and other outings.

Pardon the wall of text, needed to vent..

O

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Maggio23 likes this.
  2. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    Argh, very sorry for you.:(
    Valets hurted me 2 cars in Fance great hotels, M3 wheels and 911 exhaust...
    Since I prefer appearing "rude" but nobody parks my cars: I do not lend them to anybody I won't give a tip to an unknown to hurt them!:mad:

Your bumper does not seem broken by chance (if we can say that), a good painter will fix it imho.

3. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Welcome to the forum and I’m sorry for your pain. what colour is the car? I’m not sure what the US rules on carfax etc are but I think you would want to avoid an insurance claim as that will be recorded as damage to the car. It’s a small enough scrape that a decent body shop should be able to fix it and your insurance excess probably equals the cost of the paint job. Another photo from a greater distance would help. And is the plastic cracked? If not, new paint will have it covered.

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've never encountered a place where it is not an option. In the case of hotels, I always call ahead and speak with a manager. They will OK self park and if there is a problem with the valet I will refer him to the manager. The worst problem I had was last fall at the Brown Palace in Denver. I had to sign a damage waiver in order to park the car myself.

Of course I always offer a good tip to the valet.

5. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    Sorry to hear.

All the places where I have gone, I always ask "Is it ok for me to park this myself". I have never been refused--and I do have a Lusso as well

Ken Goldman

6. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    that's huge bummer. It went all the way through. Repaint is probably the only option but keep in mind if you ever want to resell your car, a lot of Ferrari buyers seems very fond of having the original paint. Lot of us also probably wouldn't care especially in these type of scenarios, but it's something to keep in mind if applicable.

If it were my car, I would just take off paint transfers carefully and see if I can live with a small raw spot at underside of the front bumper before taking it to a paint shop. I'm not sure if that orange is primer or paint transfer. If it's paint transfer, I think it'll clean up nicely except for that small area the scratch went all the way through. Ideally the valet company will reimburse you. I personally don't take any of my "fun" cars to any destinations I need to park with exception of car meets.

7. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark

Same here.

8. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    Oh that’s a nightmare. I use valets a lot at restaurants around Scottsdale. Always assess the complexity of them parking it if not I find a spot myself and park it. Never had a problem (touch wood)……but always check out the car before driving it off.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

9. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    100% repairable and won't affect value of the car at all

Are you in LAX? Plenty of high end body shops to over charge on that repair :)

Do not worry and sleep well!

10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    That section is very easy for a good body shop to blow in a repair and then re-clear the whole bumper. 100% impossible to tell it has been repaired and will not affect the value of the car one penny. BTW repairs larger than this are done by Ferrari themselves when cars are damaged in transit. It is never reported and you would never know the difference. That said make sure that whoever repairs the car does so without ever registering it with CarFax. It is a nothing repair but if you insist on going through official channels where someone's insurance pays for the repair then it will show up on CarFax and that scares ignorant buyers away in the future. Good planning now will help you down the road.

11. obar

obar Karting

Oct 28, 2007
    LOS ANGELES
    Full Name:
    Oscar
    Thank you all for the insightful replies and comforting words. I'm in contact with the valet company and now waiting for them to do their investigation. Will keep the thread updated!

12. obar

obar Karting

Oct 28, 2007
    LOS ANGELES
    Full Name:
    Oscar
    Correct, I'm in LAX and would be eternally greatful for body shops recomendations! And will definitely plan this repair out in detail to avoid any future CarFax issues. With that said, I'm not planning on ever selling this beast even though I did say that exact same thing about my previous two cars but... neither was a Ferrari ;)

Caeruleus11 and Nuvolari like this.
  13. obar

obar Karting

Oct 28, 2007
    LOS ANGELES
    Full Name:
    Oscar
    Car is Blu Tour de France. Here's a few more photos.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Looks like you can likely ID the curb that you suspect the valet brushed based on height and color (assuming it's not from another car). If you weren't allowed to park it yourself and it's easy to prove that damage undoubtedly occurred there, hard to argue.

bluesea and Caeruleus11 like this.
  15. obar

obar Karting

Oct 28, 2007
    LOS ANGELES
    Full Name:
    Oscar
    Went and found the curb yesterday and took tons of photos. Lots of pretty colors left behind..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

bluesea, JuzLuK, Dicecal and 6 others like this.
  16. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Good work, you could get an episode on that TV show Forensic Files! :D

Cigarzman, ScottS, JuzLuK and 2 others like this.
  17. obar

obar Karting

Oct 28, 2007
    LOS ANGELES
    Full Name:
    Oscar
    Have an independent party come and take paint samples off of the curb! Cue CSI Miami intro music... :cool::cool::cool:

JuzLuK, SeattleStew and Nospinzone like this.
  18. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    Wow I am very impressed by your detective work! So sorry this happened ,this kind of stuff makes me sick as some others have said if I take one of my nice cars to dinner which I usually don't for reasons like this ,but if I do I always say I will park the car myself , never had a problem as I give them a very generous tip to do this.

ScottS and obar like this.
  19. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for the photos. Blu TdF is metallic but not triple layer so it’ll be medium difficulty for paint matching.

You’re potentially in luck though as the body shop might be able to make a localised paint repair and lose the blend along the crease line where the underside of the bumper transitions to the upper side. it also seems that the plastic is intact (no cracks) which will also make life easier.

Caeruleus11, obar and vraa like this.
  20. obar

obar Karting

Oct 28, 2007
    LOS ANGELES
    Full Name:
    Oscar
    Very good to know. I'm in contact with a body shop right now and waiting for a quote. Will look around for a few more based on recommendations.

21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations and welcome to the family!

Kind of stinks what happened but on a scale of 0 = no damage at all and 10= OMG the car is a total loss. This is about a 2- its more than some scratches but its relatively easy to repair and the good news is damage to bumpers is not something that usually will hurt you on resale as long as its properly fixed. Keep good records. This will soon be in the rear view mirror and youll be enjoying the car.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Garretto, JuzLuK and obar like this.
  22. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Fwiw, the front and rear bumpers are sprayed individually, so they might even have very minor collor difference from the start. So any repaint will not be noticed, so don't spend any time on thoose thoughts.

Caeruleus11 and obar like this.
  23. obar

obar Karting

Oct 28, 2007
    LOS ANGELES
    Full Name:
    Oscar
    Thank you all for the supportive comments! Hopefully, this will get fixed in the next day or so. And then I can post a proper new-to-the-club thread with pics!

Caeruleus11 and Altoria F like this.
  24. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Welcome to the Ferrari world, sad it began with some damage at the hands of a valet. Won't add to that since everyone else has made all the good points.

I hope you can get it fixed timely so you can go out and enjoy the wonderful car some more!

obar likes this.
  25. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    sorry about the scratch... color looks amazing though... great choice and share some photos of the car when you can. would love to see the rest of that car shining in the sun...

obar likes this.