Maranellos are disappearing | Page 110 | FerrariChat

Maranellos are disappearing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by intrepidcva11, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crocodon

Crocodon Karting

May 12, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    That's really helpful. Much less than I expected. I wonder if it will bring down prices in the US (or push up prices in Europe). $ / £ exchange rate is particularly good for US buyers at the moment.

F456M likes this.
  2. 71veedub

71veedub Formula Junior

May 31, 2006
    Boston/North Shore
    Full Name:
    Greg
    3,000 seems very low even for a shared 40ft container, even pre-pandemic. US duty plus other fees is more like 3.15% + $500. Four months ago I was quoted GBP 6200 for 20ft dedicated container, plus GBP 850 in customs fees, $1800 US terminal handling, US duty etc (3.15% + $500), all risk transit insurance 0.6%. Fuel surcharge, port congestion fees, customs clearance, etc add another $1000+. Plus transport to/from port on each end.

ralfabco and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  3. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    For me personally i wanted to “follow the rules” in CA if at all possible and buying a Euro would have required either
    A very rare car or
    A material discount

that’s just me. I know a lot of people just don’t care regarding Euro vs US.

If it just sits in a collection and isn’t driven then I probably wouldn’t have cared as much.

4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    https://www.globaltransportamsterdam.com/container-shipping-3/

You can pay more if you want, I was also quoted $35,000 USD to fly the car from Belgium to the USA (from a different company). I didn't need the car (550 Maranello) right away so I chose to put it on a ship. Took three weeks, because of the low front nose of the Maranello, it needs a certain ship, it cannot be driven on like normal cars can. Guys, as you know there are some disruptions in the global economy, container ships are not as full as they were twelve months ago, shipping costs are down.

Call these guys, ask for Tom on the European side. The level of service and communication was way beyond my expectations.

5. 71veedub

71veedub Formula Junior

May 31, 2006
    Boston/North Shore
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thank you Hawkeye, I may give them a call. I've been working with another company, but my 512TR just got pushed out another month.

I am assuming the 3,000 you quoted was roll-on/roll-off since you mention it needed a certain ship to be driven on. How recently did you ship it? Did they handle everything, including all the US customs/import paperwork? Delivery to your house/final destination?

thanks,
    Greg

6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    If I am not mistaken, in the US you have this very anally-retentive Carfax system whereby anytime a minor dent is fixed it gets recorded and noted and the value of a car is diminished. There is no such system in Europe and the Ferrari you buy could have been totalled 3 times and clocked twice, or at the very least badly damaged, and there is no record.

In Europe and the UK we live with it, for better or worse (the UK does have a system recording insurance write offs), and of course you can always have a car inspected. But that discrepancy has to weigh against Euro cars over there.

The other way round, we had a flood of US cars in Europe a few years back when exchange rates were favourable for that direction of trade. A lot of them had bad carfax in the US, or salvage titles, something that did not need to be mentioned when being sold by a European dealer. A lot of them were also from the era just before the Maranellos when US Ferraris had all kinds of disadvantages including extra weight, less power, odd addenda, etc - of all this I think the Maranellos only had the side repeaters and some extra stuff for the fuel system.

And now the tables have turned and some new performance cars have better exhausts with no GPF for the US market!

F456M likes this.
  7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009

Just checked paperwork, it was € 3555 euros door today door. Ship from Emden to Baltimore, enclosed carrier 500 miles to my house. Customs import extra, but they assist with all paperwork, which is only four page application.

F456M and 71veedub like this.
  8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Yes, roll-on/roll off, which is why the Ferrari was loaded at Emden Germany, this is the VW/Porsche Terminal where they load 911 GT3's and other sport cars daily so they know how to handle this. Once the car arrives in US, CFR Classics is the US Partner for Amsterdam shipper and will handle everything from the US entry terminal. CFR Classics will pay the customs duty in advance and invoice you.

71veedub likes this.
  9. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
  10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nice one. Interior looks to be beige and not cuoio.

Themaven likes this.
  11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Nice one, but, LHD for sale in the UK? might be a tough sale at this price... (and with brexit, sending it back to mainland Europe would not be as easy as it used to)

12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    308 GTB, NE550, haroonok and 2 others like this.
  13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Yes, very nice car for sure. Curious not to have Daytona seats on a HGTC but anyway. Looks very well looked after also. But anyone buying this LHD car for the EU will have to pay VAT and (?) possibly duty. Still, a pretty good price all in because of the current euro GBP exchange rate, which negates quite a lot of the Brexit tariff.

When I bought my F512M the reverse direction for example, the exchange rate then in 2015 would have meant this 575 would have cost 425k euros. Now it would be 342k euros, plus taxes. So possibly cheaper for a EU buyer than without Brexit.

14. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Sharp car.

This should be a real good buy for an American buyer. The exchange rate is favorable (1.11) and not everyone in the UK will want to drive LHD.

Scarce iron. Can we find an American buyer with a friend in Canada who will be the caretaker for a few years. Any Canucks around who want to gawk at the car for a few years :D.

brogenville likes this.
  15. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
  16. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I’ve been lazy on the BaT write ups thread….I’ll try and do some catch up tomorrow.

Smart guy to let the reserve lift as BaT still has to bring the strongest dollars and having a potential RNM can’t be good.

If I had to guess before the auction ended I would have thought higher as well given the options but I guess things really are softening for “driver mile” examples.

17. Euro550

Euro550 Rookie

Jun 10, 2022
    31k is nearly brand new. Those miles get done by Honda civics within 6 months of driving off the lot. Driver miles to me would be over 100k miles, given the cars age.

18. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Are there 10 Maranello’s (550 and 575) in the USA with over 75k miles?

I’d bet there are 5 cars but I would be surprised if there are 10 over 75k miles.

I’d have to go back and read the High Mileage thread. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/high-mileage.126976/page-2#post-148208510

Europeans are much more robust in their use.

19. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I know, right? In the normal world, averaging 1,476 miles per year is the definition of "low mileage." Not in the parallel universe that is the Ferrari market, in which you are punished for actually driving your prized prancing horse.

Euro550 likes this.
  20. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    .[/QUOTE]
    We have talked a bunch how many guys with Maranellos have a small collection and are likely high earning, busy guys and I know for me I’m super lucky if I get to take the car out even 1x a month (given family obligations/etc)….wish it was more!

My other toys get even less exercise. 8-(

NE550 and Themaven like this.
  21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Crud, I cannot afford the one Ferrari I do have, but she gets driven 2-3 times a week.

22. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    There are a few more miles on her but the car has been trapped the the garage due to home re-model. I've put about 103k of those miles on her.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

mrp_e, F456M, ctml and 6 others like this.
  23. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I’ve said it before….I LOVE big mile stories and I’ve also very much enjoyed Clyde’s posts @Clyde Romero

24. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Only having one “special” is the way to win for sure in the long term because it gets exercised and enjoyed. When we had the San Jose gathering recently @stevepaa i think said he uses his 575 on almost the daily as well (makes me jealous)! ;-)

25. ctml

ctml Rookie

Oct 27, 2020
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Mine hit a lucky milestone earlier this summer.

I only have space for two cars so have been able to focus my attention on putting miles on this one!

Attached Files:

mrp_e, NE550, Ffre92 and 4 others like this.