Maranellos are disappearing | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Maranellos are disappearing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by intrepidcva11, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Northman

Northman Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2014
    Laurentian, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Denis Gauthier
    I believe that the next in line to rise up in value is the 456 especially the manual version.

2. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    ^They kinda already have in my opinion.

3. Renman57

Renman57 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Reynolds
    Correction made! I never looked at my profile since it was set up until you mentioned it! Thanks.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Denis- Most of the 456s (79%) and half of the 456Ms (50.3%) were 6 speeds.

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    There are lots of cheap 456s around still here in Europe. Manual or auto. No discernible spike. Not that this is really relevant to 550s disappearing (subject of post). Talking of spikes though, 430 Scuderias definitely spiking up. No idea what that means. They are all F1. Amazing cars..meanwhile 550s and 575s are lifting up together hand in hand (recently). Next is 599s? Then, what, a 12 month old F12 worth more than a new one? That's what they call reductio ad absurdum.

6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Darius analysis imho is spot on, as usual. Predicting future appreciations is pretty much everyone's guess but taking the reductio ad absurdum shown above, I believe future appreciations will go backwards, not forwards. Meaning: there are still great Ferrari cars of the 70s and 80s that are severely underpriced and overlooked (365 GT4 2+2, 365 GTC/4, 400, Mondial), for no apparent reason failing to keep up with their 2 seater counterparts, before newer cars made in huge numbers (huge by Ferrari standards that is) appreciate significantly.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

7. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    365 GTC/4s are already over 400k and approaching a half mil...

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Nuno that sounds very wise. There was a 412 manual at auction here recently, was severely tempted because it's a family V12 Ferrari...choice at weekends is currently drive Ferrari or be with family, that would allow one to do both - must be undervalued along with Mondials etc. (As 365 GTC/4 shows..)
    The 550s on sale in Europe right now seem a bit hopeful...140k euros for a low mileage one, and some 100k+ for mid mileages...offer prices.. but who knows..

9. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I believe the 550s/575 will increase in value over the next ten years If you look at a 550 sitting next to a Daytona and a 599 the 550 has looks more in concert with the Daytona ..
    The young people that had 550s as posters and models as kids are now just entering the
    Earning stage of their life and when they can spare the money the 550/575 will see strong increases
    Of course who knows...this is just my opinion....
    All I know regardless of value I feel my 550 has beauty fAr beyond its monetary value at this time....

10. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Darius, what was the price of the manual 412 at auction?

11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
  12. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
  13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I know no more than you do...

14. CambioManuale

CambioManuale Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I don't really know what to say on this topic, but since I have a 550 I would say that the prices of 3-4 years ago were not right for this car. The 100K +/- is probably in my view the correct price for this fantastic car.

15. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Having had a look at the actual price-situation it is (from my point of view) not understandable, why the 456th are not increasing accorgdingly to some other cars (like Maranellos, 308/328, 308 GT4). These cars are so nicely equipped, you could either chose of a comfortable two pedal car or a more sportive three pedal car - imho). They were the base of the modern V12 culture, a landmark....

Having jumped on the right track (maybe not early enough...), I think the forthcoming generation is strongly interested in these kind of machines, all the car interested youngster, which grow up in the 90th had at a certain time a 456 or Maranello in 1/18 displayed in their rooms.

Kind regards,

Jürgen

MaurizioAM likes this.
  16. CambioManuale

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    This is interesting, and I speak for lack of knowledge in this matter, but... do prices really go up because the young kids who 20 years could only dream of owning a 550, today they finally find themselves in the financial position of affording one?

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Unfortunately I suspect that 456's will suffer the same fate as 365/412's ... 4 seater Ferraris never really become collectible ...

The 550 on the other hand is considered to be a modern version of a Daytona, that has to help it!
    Pete

18. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I do believe in this theory and I also think the 550 is a VERY collectable Fcar.

19. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Absolutely.

20. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I'd say the 550 and the 575 alike, as I don't see any major differences between them that would lead the 550 to be related to the Daytona but not the 575.

I think Ferrari value should be related to how a car is enjoyable and what ammount of fun you can extract from it while you're behind the wheel, not just if they're collectible or not. When I factor in collectability, I think baseball cards, stamps, etc. Not Ferraris. I'm with my Ferraris to drive them, use them, maintain them. I leave collectability and speculation to auctioneers. I'm with my cars to have fun, not to get rich and trade them based on how much they're worth according to Mr. or Mrs. X.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

21. CambioManuale

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I concur more with Alfista. The 550 is a fine car to drive, fully analog and a true gents car. I think one buys because it is the last of its kind. The memory one may have of this car is probably the kick that gets prices to increase, but I think that what makes the price increases sustainable is the fact that the 550 is a joy to drive. The f355 IMHO is kind of same story and the 512TR as well. By contrast I find TRs and 348s not that good to driver ve and their price increases probably mote due to other factors ( memories, older cars, first series...). But again, this is only my 2 cente thought...

22. beachmk4

beachmk4 Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Florida
    Something I think we are all missing here is the popularity of the mid engined cars. Lots of kids in the 80s-90s were sold a real bill of goods on Ferraris that the V8 cars were the end all. Just look at the popularity of the current lot. I, on the other hand along with those of us that grew up in the 60s-70s were always told a "real" Ferrari was a 2 place, front engined, V12 GT car. I've owned a bunch over the years from 250s to 365s and have loved every one. I currently own a 550 and find it a true joy to drive. Regardless of value there is nothing like a 500+ horsepower V12 in a 2 place car. I intend to keep this one for as long as I can keep it on the road for regular use. It is the most flexible Ferrari I've ever had and it has all the attributes a fine sporting car should have. Fast, comfortable, easy to drive and beautiful to look at. No wonder they are getting harder to find. They are now in the hands of the folks that really appreciate them for what they are. I would be hard pressed to let this one go any time soon.

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jay- Calling any late Ferrari analog is a joke. The only analog features on a 550 are the throttle linkage and gear shift. Everything else has an ECU between you and her.

24. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    In my experience those are two important "analog" components. Having a throttle cable instead of drive by wire, and a manual gear change vs paddles are two key factors in car feeling "analog" and IMO a more pure driving experience. I believe Ferrari switched to E-gas on the 575.

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stan- The 575M uses a potentiometer to tell the throttles what to do. No way you can tell the difference between that and a throttle cable, even though you profess to like it better. All you feel in either pedal is the return spring. Change that and the feel changes. The digital throttle is one reason why the ASR in the 575M works so much better than it does on the 550.

Three pedals has already been beaten to death a thousand times.