Maranellos are disappearing | Page 26 | FerrariChat

Maranellos are disappearing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by intrepidcva11, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F.Engineering

F.Engineering Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 23, 2015
    ITALY
    Full Name:
    Fabio
    Hi Bernhard, 575 was the successor of 550 and Ferrari need to emphasize the better characteristics, also if for not so big performance difference ...

Ferrari during the HGTC presentation on 2004, told that she be able to run in fiorano track for -1 sec in comparison to 575 Then -2.5 in comparison to the 550 i think ...

Is nothing in normal driving ....

Follow an interestng fiorano laps performance link

Fiorano lap times - FastestLaps.com

2. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Ehm, no not any car. :) [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1VKAN9g-FYg[/ame]

3. chrismic

chrismic Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2012
    ...or Chris Kerr in Berwick St

4. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I don't recall whether there is a specific thread for UK RHD 550 prices like the one I started a while back for 575 manual prices, so I thought I would revive this classic thread (or should that be modern classic thread?) to impart this piece of solid information:

UK RHD 550, 25,000 miles, generally very good condition and no stories, 99, sold by a respected independent dealer last week at £130,000 GBP.

So, that's where we are over here right now.

That same car, same mileage, would have sold last year for around the same (according to the dealer), 2 years ago for around £80-£90k GBP, 3 years ago for £60-£70k GBP, 4 years ago for maybe £50k GBP (though my memory gets hazy back then, anyone do correct me on that last number).

5. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    #630 MogulBoy, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    I'd really like to see the name of Michael written correct. That's not very difficult I suppose... isn't it?

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Volkmar- Not a big deal. If a German can misspell his name, think of us poor furriners.

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
  9. Roygarth

Roygarth Karting

Nov 27, 2013
    Norfolk, England
    Mmmm not so sure. That car would have been advertised at £150/160K this time last year (which I agree is not the selling price.) So now down approx. 20%. Which is where dealers I speak to are calling prices for the £75 to £200k Ferrari market.

10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I think perhaps the difference here is between asking and selling prices; the gap has narrowed (for realism) in this last 12 months. The car I refer to was advertised for £144,950 this year. I do agree that asking prices of many cars in this range are down from last year, though.

11. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    #636 MogulBoy, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Darius, It just occurred to me that the colours on Bob Houghton's 550 are almost identical to those on your 575M. e.g. TdF over Beige leather over Blus Scuro carpet.

You could, in theory, trade your low kms LHD 550 for his 'average' miles RHD and then you would have a very nice matching pair of RHD TdF Maranellos!

The obvious question would be, how much cash do you think would be required to make such a trade in the current market?

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I guess my 550 would currently fetch £100-£120k, sold via a dealer. I don't know Houghton and maybe they would sell that TDF 550 at £110k. But then there's the dealer's margin to deal with on the sale..and anyway, I like my 550. It feels like a nearly brand new car.

13. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    #638 MogulBoy, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't know how Bob Houghton operates (e.g. if he owns all of his own inventory outright etc.) but he currently has four cars in stock and three of them are 550s with two of them being 1999s in RHD with TdF over Beige!

The one with Daytona-style seats and shields has 31k miles and is up for £140k vs. the one we discussed above which shows 27k miles and is offered at £119,500.

Both seem to be wonderful examples so there must be another reason for the £20k delta that isn't immediately obvious or explained by the presence of those two optional extras...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Does anyone remember this classic thread? It needs continual careful maintenance, like our cars.

I don't have the market insight of the much missed Mogulboy, however here are a couple of observations.

1. Maranellos are definitely not disappearing. Just looking at 550s, minus Barchettas, nearly 50 for sale in the U.K. and more than 70 in the Eurozone, now. (Doesn't include 575s, because it's late and my eyes are getting killed by my screen in the hotel bar where I'm writing this.)

2. Some are pretty cheap; less than £70k asking price for a high miles LHD 550 in the U.K. When this thread was started, that car would I think have been less than £50k.

3. Am interesting reference might be this nice looking 2000 grigio titanio with 20k km/13k miles which asked 129k euros and sold promptly

https://www.autoscout24.com/results?desc=1&powertype=kw&mmvmd0=1730&pricetype=public&mmvmk0=27&mmvco=1&pricefrom=500&sort=price&ustate=N&ustate=U&atype=C&page=2&size=20#li-a020d04c-795f-c106-e053-e250040a9f9e

Let's imagine that car sold for 120k euros. When this thread was started, that car would have been advertised for around 90k and achieved close to that.

So, if those assumptions are correct, a good Maranello can fetch 30%+ more than 2.5 years ago. A miley one in the wrong country though...well, if that sells for 55-60k GBP, that's still sort of correct.

But there are lots of Maranellos around.

tifosi_ likes this.
  15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I think we see a similar pattern with the Maranellos as with most other Ferrari - mid/end of 2014 all prices for old (and even relatively recent used) Ferrari suddenly began to increase rapidly, which dried the market since everybody wanted to buy, expecting endless price rises. Then less than two years later the peak was reached; smart (or lucky) people sold and got the cash while others first waited for the next price increase and after a few months began to wait for buyers. A few months more and some sellers began to reduce prices to attract back the buyers. That's where we are now, without knowing whether it's just a technical correction or a sustainable downward trend.
    The issue for the Ferrari lovers is that the prices are still high (compared to what they were three years ago) and that, more crucially, many (if not most) transactions are still motivated by financial expectations.

MogulBoy likes this.
  16. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    FWIW, as a data point, after abandoning a 575 manual search of several months, I finally bought a 99 RC/tan clean 2 owner UK RHD 550 with 22800 miles two weeks ago privately for £103k including a major service at an independent of my choice. Not a forced seller (he did have the 550 parked between his miura and enzo which made for a memorable collection), but the bid from his regular independent dealer was apparently well below £100k and so the decision to sell privately via the FOC network. I did look at a couple of other UK advertised cars which were asking in the region of £120-130k but sounded like would accept £110k but never got that crunch discussion.

17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That is a very good and interesting price point Barry and thank you for sharing so candidly.

I was looking for my own 550 2.5 years ago when this thread started, and my guess is that your car would have sold then for somewhere between 80 and 90k GBP. In between, the price went up higher and then reverted to what it is now.

I think you bought well. My guess is that the easy speculators are out of the market and these cars will continue the gentle upward trend they have been on since 2011.

Any anyway - they are among the greatest cars ever made. And as Juergen pointed out, unique among Ferraris in being laid back supercars. The 599/F12 etc are amazing but not replacements, nor is the TR/M or BB, and a Daytona is just not a car you can drive practically.

But maybe I'm a fool - after all, there are loads on the market.

18. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Darius, thank you for activating a thread which once was considered as one of the main topics in the chapter.

What happend during the past 2 1/2 years? Shortly, after I found "my car" the market practically exploded, there where very view cars available in Europe, prices where starting from around 90.000 € upwards, the top low milage cars where 150.000 € and above.... That means for a certain time top Maranellos had nearly doubled their prices for a certain but short period. Already more than a year ago the market softened, like on most of the other "high volume" Ferrari's.

Maranellos actually become interesting and quiet affordable again. Not a changing for the bad, just a chance to secure a good example of this quiet unique model. Having already written so much about the appearance of the car, I just reconized by today what makes (…personal opinion) the difference between them and the later models…

It's the pure and elegant design, no spoilers, no diffusors, just clean lines - pure as cars developed during the 60/70th.... Just had a look at the new Maserati Grand Coupe, it became more agressiv, diffusor, a lot of matt black plastic at the back, big exhaust pipes, a hugh front grill - but, the elegance of the original design got lost somewhere on the way.... Have the same feeling regarding the Quattroporte, but maybe I'm just getting old.....

Personally, for me the floating value of a Maranello doesn't matter much, as my car is a keeper, I just follow the trend, notice the tendencies, but that has no influence to the personal value I put on it.

I found my car, so no intention to sell it. Just my five cents.....

F456M likes this.
  19. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik

I could not agree more Jürgen! Yesterday I was in Monaco for the yacht show. Lots of vrazy wild cars. Cars you really can't define because they are so rare... sll of them are super high performance, wild looking beasts. One of my favourite dream cars, -probably because of its magic sound, is the Aventador. I saw an Aventador SV yesterday too! The thing with these cars is that they are absolutely not elegant, they draw so much attention, are so unpractical, are a nightmare in underground parkings (at least here) and remember THERE ARE NO PARKING PLACES along the streets!! So what is good, or should I say the only possible V12 to be using in everyday life, are the taller Bentley GTs, Astons, Jaguars and "normal" S600 cars. Maserati have also understood this and their cars are not sleek and low anymore (because they have to get the job done). The result seems like they put on all kinds of spoilers and air scoops etc. to make it look fast. This is where the Maranello is brilliant. It has a V12 of bearly 500 horses, looks fast and elegant without having to show it.... it is still a practical car, just quite easy to scratch the front bumper because of its "overhang" (distance from the wheel to the front lip of the bumper), but all in all, a very subtle and delicate piece of machinery. With a superb build quality!! I could bet on it that the 550 will still remain a collector's car with increasibg value although "high" production numbers. Look at the 911s.... build in tenth of thousands. Still going up to crazy numbers. Even the VW hippie/surf bus has achieved 200.000 USD! See here: https://www.facebook.com/Volkswagenclassiccar/videos/941956595946453/

20. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Here's an actual sale of a Maranello, at a time when the Ferrari, and wider classic car, and wider car, and indeed wider everything market, is very flat, particularly in the UK. (Sorry about the complex sentence).

http://www.theferraricentre.com/used-cars/7841723-ferrari-550-maranello/

2001 550, very nice colour combo, looks in good condition, but 50k miles. Asking £90k GBP and my understanding is it sold for near that.

Renman57 likes this.
  21. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Not sure whether the market is flat, but FWIW, I bought one in the UK a couple of months back with 23k miles for £103k privately. That's quite a long way down from 18 months ago.

With the stock market hitting news highs, crypto-currency bubble etc, there seem plenty of more liquid assets to play with than an aging bull market in classic cars which is not liquid on the way down. When I sold my manual 430 spider earlier this year, it was almost back to the pre-2015 level.

22. motts

motts Karting

Sep 1, 2015
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Since this tread became alive right after I got my car (just kidding). I really would like to know what is a real value of my vehicle.
    2001 with 26907 now 27300+ in less that 2 months in that span of time also did a major service as you may have guessed I love driving it great car. It does have a weird remark on car fax “hit a stationary object” overall I would say that the car is in a very good condition. I am Not looking to sell the car or any parts of it:) specially the modular wheels I have been asked. As per my tech there is nothing wrong with the car other then a loud water pump. The only reason I would like to know the real value is because I traded I bunch of vintage watch material (parts) for it.

23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Here's a pretty 550 up for auction later this month. LHD Japan car, 30k kms, interesting colour combo, nice spec, some stickies, the usual history gap from Japan cars. Given its story and LHD, I suspect the 82-90k estimate is high; continental friends wanting a LHD car have a continent full of them to choose from without crossing the Channel and buying a Japanese example in the UK.

It also seems to suffer from a bout of over filtered photography, but that's curable.

Let's see what the auction brings..

24. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    As someone who bought a 575 last week and is having it delivered this wed/thursday Im thrilled to be part of the club and cant believe I did so in a red/tan one at a decent valuation. It's amazing how "cheap" these great machines have gotten and I have to believe the market will tick upwards soon.

May I ask how many of these give or take 2000 575's have crashed/been take off the road already and how many of these cars are in the US? Im seeing a number online of slightly over 2000 575's produced and around 1800 F1's? That doesn't seem like many by today's standards of car production, just curious how many of these wonderful machines are in the United States. Also does anyone have any info on how many of these 575's are red or red/tan? Just curious about my car and if that data exists. Thank you

25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Look in the 575 Technical Thread and click on one of the Serial Number vs Assembly Number attachments. Stats are at the end of the 575M section. Complete except for MY05. Go through that thread backwards for the most current info on 575s.