Maranellos are disappearing | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Maranellos are disappearing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by intrepidcva11, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zanzibar

Zanzibar Karting

Jul 17, 2004
    I just checked for you again. I was mistaken, the top price for a 550 on AutoScout24 is 140k Euros. Actually there are three listed at this price, all of them in Italy. Here is the link to all the 550s on AutoScout24: Angebote

There is a lot of overlap between Mobile.de and AutoScout24.de. I did not do the exercise of a car-by-car comparison between the two sites, but I would assume that in total you are looking at maybe 15 550s and as many 575s in total. Just a guesstimate of mine...

2. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Gruwez,thank you for the market research on two of the most used portals in continental europe. As you discovered, the actually offered cars are in a completely different price-range than a year (or more) ago, the situation has changed dramatically. Due to several articles in motor magazins people (and especially collectors) got aware of the qualities of a Maranello as a new interpretation of the famous 275 GTB and the Daytona.

Attractive cars in well asked colour combinations are sold within few days or even hours, the personal preference of the buyer seems sometimes the key.... I strongly believe, that the cars will still increase in value, there is practically no alternative (maybe a Aston Martin Vanquish) to the cars, classic style, V12 engine ahead of the driver, in some cases manuel six speed shifter, easy to drive and live with, understated but very elegant lines.....

Other alternatives???

Kind regards,

Jürgen

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thank you.

4. Jürgen Geisler

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    ...there is still one black 550 in France available (due to the advert) with a moderate milage at 49.500 €, has anybody contacted the dealer or looked at the car? All other dealers raised the prices accordingly to the development of the market...

Kind regards,

Jürgen

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    BMW 850i and CSi, Mercedes SL 600 and 65 AMG (different generations), Bentley Conti GT and Speed, Aston DB9, DBS, Virage, V12 Vantage all have 12 cyls in front, all made in last 20 years, all easy to drive, as well as 599 and F12...most of these are faster and more luxurious than the Maranellos. Better, more interesting, that's a completely different question...I've driven all of them pretty extensively...

6. Zanzibar

Zanzibar Karting

Jul 17, 2004
    It could be one of two things:

1. Either there is a reason for the low price and that's why the car is still there. It has been on AutoScout24 for quite a while.
    or...
    2. There are no takers just because the price is so low. I know this sounds silly, but about 10 years ago I was in the market for a 911 3.2. There was one car which was listed at 10k Euros, which was half the price of the then going rate for a nice 3.2. My initial thought was there must be something wrong with the car. But just to keep all my options open I drove 300km to inspect the car. It was as sound as it could be. Full service history, no accidents, and a delight to drive. Needless to say, I bought it on the spot. As of today I still have not got a clue why the car was so cheap. The funny thing is that the seller told me there was hardly any interest in his Porsche. My only guess can be that people did not bother to call or email just because of the ridiculously low price. Anyway, the black 550 in France is being sold by a dealer (the Porsche was from a private seller) so I think we can reasonably assume he knows his cars...

7. Jürgen Geisler

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Darius, the important question is, would you prefer one of them to your Maranello, if there are so many, and as mentioned some times more interesting alternatives, why have your decided for the Maranello? In my personal opinion, if I should go through the list there are very few real alternatives (just for me personally).

Kind regards,

Jürgen

8. Zanzibar

Zanzibar Karting

Jul 17, 2004
    #83 Zanzibar, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    As for the BMW 850, that is an entirely different car. I have owned (and still own) a 1995 BMW 850ci for over 15 years and you simply cannot compare a Maranello to the Beemer. They are two totally different cars, each with their own merits and shortcomings. It is just apples and oranges...

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jay- You call that OT? Just wait and you will see some real OT in this forum.

10. CambioManuale

CambioManuale Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #85 CambioManuale, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here below the two most expensive Maranello on sale now on Autoscout24.

Two years ago these cars would have sold (IF?!?) for probably 40-45K euro. They are relatively high mileage, early models, and with loads of potential issues. At 45k one would probably get a daily drive, of course after having spent on her some money..., but at 140k... I mean two year ago I was offered a Barchetta for that kind of money!

To be honest, I think that the owners of these cars do not want to sell them. They are just taking their chances... and see if they win the lottery!

BTW, my mechanic says that good Maranello (later models with less than 40k km) sell reasonably fast between 80/90k Euros. I think this is already amazing by itself! Before I bought mine in Sept 13, I used to monitor the markets and "good" Maranellos would stay advertised for a long time and probably sold around 50/60k. Almost two years later, and 1) they sell fast and 2) on average at 30k more. I would call this a HUGE increase. Where it stops, if it stops, I have no idea, but it is a fact that with the exception of Switzerland where there are still few (potentially) nice Maranellos, in the other markets (here in Europe) for the moment good candidates are completely disappeared, hence the title of this thread.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Zanzibar

Zanzibar Karting

Jul 17, 2004
    Thanks for your insight, CambioManuale. I agree with you that 140k for a 550 with this mileage is probably daydreaming, but I am also wondering about your statement that there are "loads of potential issues". If these cars have been properly taken care of, why would they have any more issues than one with lower miles. I would assume that my 550, which has been sitting in the garage for the better part of the past 6 years, has more potential issues than one that has been used.

But back to the topic: yes, Maranellos seem to be in short supply these days. It is interesting that you note that Switzerland seems to be good hunting ground if you want to find a nice 550. There is the issue with reimporting the car into the EU (if you live here), which probably means paying import duties and VAT again.

Just for fun, I will keep an eye open on AutoScout24 and Mobile (not that I want to buy another 550). It is always interesting to see how the market moves on these cars.

12. CambioManuale

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Yes, if you live outside of Switzerland, and you export the car, VAT and duties do apply. But if cars are in demand, that it is not a problem anymore... which if the current trends continues, is what I expect to see. Look at Swiss 328s: one year ago we had quite a few on sale and they were very fine examples too who had been on sale for months. Now, there are none on sale. Zero!!

Ps
    By potential issues I mean the usual suspects... suspensions, linkages, corrosion, electrics, sticky interiors, worn leather and I would run a leak-down test just to make sure the engine is ok. These are all potential problems that are more likely to happen with a high mileage car that perhaps has seen some use during winter times...

13. 2fast4us

2fast4us Karting

Sep 5, 2010
    Germany, NRW
    Full Name:
    Rolf
    I called them and the car has been sold long ago....

14. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Has any one mentioned the article in February Thoroughbred and classic article , "Buy a FERRARI 550 before the price goes up. How to buy a good one.

15. CambioManuale

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #90 CambioManuale, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As of today, these are the cars available on autoscout.ch, in Switzerland.
    I would say that not only km/conditions seem to be good, but also prices are a bargain compared to what I see in Europe.

My sentiment is that these cars are not selling fast because potential non-Swiss customers would have to pay VAT if they export the car to their countries. But, if nothing decent comes up on other sources... than I think people will be starting at looking at these cars.

16. Zanzibar

Zanzibar Karting

Jul 17, 2004
    #91 Zanzibar, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    Are they really such a bargain? The cheapest one I see is about 65.000 CHF (62.000 Euro), the most expensive one is about 110.000 CHF (105.000 Euro). I am not familiar with importing a Swiss car back into the EU. I know from experience that an import from the USA costs you 10% in import duties and then a variable percentage of VAT. VAT depends on your country. Belgium is 21% for instance and Germany is 19%. If this rule is also applied to Swiss cars, then the cheapest one becomes 81.000 Euros and the most expensive one 144.000 Euros. This is pretty much inline with the advertised prices on the German sites.

17. CambioManuale

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I should have clarified that by "a bargain" I meant from a Swiss resident (buyer) point of view.

You are absolutely correct in your calculations, but as you may have noticed from my earlier post, in Switzerland at the moment there seem to be the best 550s (advertised) for km/conditions. So if one imports it to Europe, it might end up costing the same as one of those EU cars, but judging from what stock is currently advertised right now in EU and Switzerland, I would say that in Switzerland you would probably buy a better car.

18. Gerald550

Gerald550 Rookie

Dec 1, 2013
    France
    Full Name:
    Gérald
    CambioManuale, I agree with you.

Every one look for a low price at best condition.
    I bought my car in St. Gallen, in the area of German Swiss.
    I knew I paid this 550 an higher price than in France but I didn't want to sell it in the following years. So I want the best, despite of the 20%(french VAT) in more to pay.

The last years, we read everywhere that the Maranello was a good bargain.
    The first owner, after 10 years, lost two twice more than you. On this report, it's reassuring. And generally these cars are as new.

19. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Similar article touting the 550 in a recent article in AUTOMOBILE magazine.

20. CambioManuale

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Exactly. I am not sure what is the standard in other countries, but here in Switzerland at the bi-annual MoT, they won't even inspect the car (and hence fail it) unless you have washed the chassis, suspensions, rims and of course the engine.

21. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Anyone who bought a slightly expensive but well cared for 512 TR from Switzerland six months ago when they were still there will be feeling pretty happy now..

My point about the other cars was as follows. As a 550 owner it pains me to say this but while I can't think of a better car to take on an ideal world summer journey from London to Marbella to Cannes to St Moritz and back, a lot of those other cars are just as good or better for many months a year. For me a 550 purchase makes sense at 80k (euros, pounds, greenbacks, whatever) but 150k buys a V12 Vantage Aston and a 355. Or whatever, the question is will this lead to a correction or am I mad. Because there just wasn't this variety or truly great rival cars in the Daytona/BB era.

22. SFLux

SFLux Rookie

Oct 15, 2006
    Luxembourg
    Sold since a couple of months, but the seller can't remove it from Autoscout!
    Apologies to post a first mail in this circumstance after 5 years on the forum as reader...a shame!

23. SFLux

SFLux Rookie

Oct 15, 2006
    Luxembourg
    Houps! finally 5 posts in 8 years!

24. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme