Maranellos are disappearing | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Maranellos are disappearing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by intrepidcva11, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CambioManuale

CambioManuale Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    150k will also soon buy you a 458, they buy you a 599 already and many many other cars. I see your point, but this market is crazy. Look at what is happening with CS and Scuds... I think 100k is the correct price for a good 550. Anything more, now as we speak, is speculation. Of course, it is only my thought...

2. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Darius. I got you completely, most of the alternatives have some advantages in one or the other ways or areas. You have the comparison, which I don't have in such a deep way, I just express my (surely) emotional point of view.

The Daytona's have been a class of it's own, just possibly a Miura was in some facts at the same (but different) level. But there were as well some alternatives (theroetically, at least...). Monteverdis, Lamborghinis, Panteras, Jaguars (E-V12th), Maseratis (Khamsin, Bora, Indy 4900) and on a slightly less exclusive level a Dino Spider, 246 GTS or a Citroen SM or Alfa Montreal. Darius, you drew the picture of crossing the alps or a long distance tour in one great car, finishing at the Cote d' Azure, would you actually exchange your Maranello for one of your mentioned cars? Even if I would considerate a newer V12th from Ferrari, I would still choose a Maranello for it's unique and gentleman style. For me, it's a pinnacle of design of a classical grand tourer... It was completely underrated for this reason imho for some years as well, people are just discovering the all time great combination of style and classical appearance....

Thank you anyhow for sharing this interesting conversation, I enjoy the different points of few very much, different opinions are the most important point for further developments in almost all areas of human beeing.....

Kind regards,

Jürgen

3. CambioManuale

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I very much agree with you.

4. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Jay, regarding the 599, you're completely right, I spotted a low milage nice 599 at the Classic Mobile Stuttgart two weeks ago at 99.000 €, attractive car but it seems, low interest of the public at that type of Ferrari....

Still available on Sunday.

Kind regards,

Jürgen

5. CambioManuale

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I drove her many times at Fiorano. A fantastic car, but I cannot say I like its style, I guess I could only buy her in a dark color that helps to disguise her aspect. Again, I see why 550s are disappearing. They are so elegant compared to a 599.

6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Graeme,

Switzerland in my view is one of the most beautiful and organised countries on Earth. I think the swiss love their cars as much as any other european citizen. It's just that Governments have different views on the issue of speed. Some, like Switzerland and my country (Portugal) think speed is the source of all evil and that speed restrictions help organise traffic in a way, whereas countries like Germany for instance, rely on sensitivity and civility from drivers to have troublefree traffic, not considering speed to be the major factor in mortality (the same way I think lack of respect for your fellow driver kills more than just speed).

The way the swiss Government faces speed doesn't translate into swiss don't liking cars. That said, I do think Switzerland isn't the most petrol head-friendly country in the world. That would be Germany in my book.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

7. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Or Texas... :)

8. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    The bubble will burst hard IF ferrari starts making manual cars again. Then the blood bath will be epic on older cars.

9. mcypert

mcypert Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Cypert
    #109 mcypert, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Johnny-- I'd agree but just did a one day round-trip, 550 miles, from Houston to Ft. Worth in my 911 for a funeral. Not bad, except the "Left Lane For Passing Only" signs are largely ignored. (P/U drivers own the road here.) Still, door-to-door took only about 7 1/2 hours of driving time. About the same as airport time on Southwest's $425 airfare for the same trip....

Would have taken the 456, but couldn't really justify 550 miles in one day. Only about 19K miles on the F-car at 20 years....

Regards.....Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Yeah, yeah, yeah...the sky is falling...

11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I think the chance of Ferrari doing that, especially with a front-engine V12, approaches metaphysical zero.

12. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Nuno My impressiong was after a visit in 2009 and thats the impression imparted by locals.
    Probably too much noise in a stunningly beatiful country.
    Cheers
    Graeme

13. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Graeme, that's what I think too.

All the best!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Juergen I agree completely about the style and je ne sais quoi of the 550. And on that perfect summer adventure I would take it for sure. But a 458 is more fun in the twisty bits. A SL55 AMG (latest version of the supercharged V8) is as fun, faster, and you could put the roof down in Cannes. Etc..everyone in this highly well informed forum will have their opinions. I guess what I am saying is that objectively the 550 is not like an F50 or Daytona, a complete standout, rationally. And I guess that's not very important. It's just that we love them. And there seem to be lots of people like us..

15. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Attention, Pete; I just sold my 412GT to a very serious, knowledgable collector for a hair under $100,000.US

16. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Hold it, maven; my old F355 berlinetta is for sale at $109,888.US. Haven't seen many 550's very far above that. In any event it doesn't leave much money for a Vantage. And then you would still have a Vantage, not a Maranello.

17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Seth, 355s are up in Europe too for sure, probably 20% in six months, but you can still get a decent one for 60-70k euros. Similar condition 550s are more, and spiking faster, here. My point wasn't a comparison between two great 90s Ferraris. And I'm with you on the Vantage.

18. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I disagree. I like my Astons at least as much as my Ferrari...just for somewhat different reasons.
    One difference is that the Ferrari is more likely to increase in value...but then again, so is my Pantera...
    In the end, they are all enjoyable to drive, which is why we have them in the first place

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Wow, that is a good price (I think) for a 412. Must have been a real nice one.
    Pete

20. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Dead right. I have a real soft spot for the V12 Vantage. Same class as a 550, if perhaps not same pedigree, and just as you say, different...and soon to be cheaper (and newer), at this rate.

21. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    One other nice thing about the Astons...plenty of convertibles available...and their latest V12s really haul the mail...

22. Eli355

Eli355 Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eli
    I thought this tread was about car thiefs targeting Maranellos! I have been putting a wheel lock on my car. The wheel lock is now available on e bay!

23. CambioManuale

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Beautiful car. But it's just a car for me. The 550 is a Ferrari.

24. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I get the Ferrari pedigree..and am glad I now own one. People on the street that are not otherwise enthusiasts relate much more to the Aston though. It's the "Bond" thing...a gentleman's GT...which is also what some here perceive the 550 to be...

25. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Johnny-So how much do your think that Bond thing will be worth in 5/10 years? :)