Maranellos are disappearing | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Maranellos are disappearing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by intrepidcva11, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. prospero

prospero Karting

May 14, 2004
    Vienna
    I have been following the market in continental europe for quite a few years now.
    Just 2 months ago there where still aproximately 60 550's advertised for sale, more than almost half of them have been so literally for years. I dont believe for one second that they all found a buyer for eastern.
    I'm sure there has been an initiative to take them of the market to drive the prices.
    Let's say anyone of us, including those with more money than good sense, would resist the urge to buy now, just "after" the prices have gone up and waited 6 months or a year, the prices would just drop down again because even a 100K are not justified for a nineties car like the 550.
    For that kind of money you can get an Aston Martin DBS, which is not just a better car but also a better looking car (even though I like the 550).

2. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Look at housing. It can happen and will happen. But when it does nobody will want to buy.

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I was referring to the likelihood of Ferrari building a front engined V12 with manual transmission, not the possibility of the "bubble bursting."

4. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    All the money in the world...if it puts a smile on your face! :) Aston will always be "The Bond Car" though...does not matter if that translates into collectibility or value...

Interestingly enough, my Pantera has become the most collectible of the bunch. I think being old helps within any marque.

And...just to veer back on topic...I think Maranellos are disappearing because in most geographies there are more individuals interested in owning them (for whatever reason) than there is inventory. There will always be stragglers and orphans, but for the most part, the US and UK markets are snapping up what hits the marketplace. Try relocating the Euro inventory and see what happens to it.... :)

5. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Some of those European web sites like Anamera still have cars listed that were sold months, if not years, ago.

6. bikerbob100

bikerbob100 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2007
    Naples/Spider LK, WI
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I was chasing a 550 at Ferrari of Ontairo sold on Thursday to a Canadian for full price $125k CDN. About $100k USD. CF, Daytona seats, serviced by Ferrari.

7. KARICOUM

KARICOUM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2012
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Roscoe
    #132 KARICOUM, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    A really top 2000-2001 low Kms 550 in Australia today will fetch 140,000 to 180,000 Euros ( aus$200,000-$250,000). And yet not one for sale today-- 3 years ago maybe 8-10. Supply has dried up and it seems everybody wants one. 575s here will go next. Funny how I always wanted a 599 and yet now i could do a near straight trade , the 550 seems the more desirable car in my garage. Spent a lot of time touring in my 550 last year including a wonderful circumnav of Tasmania- 1600kms in 5 days of spirited driving on unbelievable roads following the Targa Tasmana Rally route - awesome trip without a hitch

8. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Intersting discussion. Having been involved deeply (I bought my 550 just three month ago and looked at appr. 10 cars all over europe) into the continental market the prices for Maranellos have been nearly doubled within a year. Some italian cars are now on the german market with a 40 % higher price than they've been offered 4-5 months ago.

Condition of cars vary dramatically (not necessarily connected with the milage), but if you are looking, like Karicoum mentioned, for a late 550 with low or very low milage, they are practically not available anymore.

In my opinion collectors discovered the Maranellos as their targets, last classical V12 front engined car, sophisticated design and nicely equipped interior. I don't see any reasons my the cars should not hold their value, they actually reached.

The comparison between an older car and a newer one doesn't make much sense in this case, a 599 will do most probably everything better than a Maranello. Would I exchange? Personally, no, I never dreamed of owning a 599, and there are some people like me.....

An Aston, yes, but from the same decade, and a Vanquish, also in this case an emotional decision. I strongly considered one of these cars but was finally brought down by the interior and the function of the paddles....

Kind regards,

Jürgen

9. CambioManuale

CambioManuale Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I have difficulties to understand why a 360CS now costs more than 200k or why the Scud is in certain market a bit more and in certain others a bit less. I mean, they are fast approaching Speciale money and are already more expensive than a used 458 that IMHO is a much better car. Like it should be. For sure, if we adopt the same reasoning, the 599 is better than the 550 and the F12 is better than the 599. But...

But a 550 gives emotions that belong to Ferraris which we will never see again. So while I am struggling to understand why I should buy a CS (other than because I love that specific model) at the current market value that used to be an entry level Speciale, I see why I bought the 550 that used to be perceived as an entry level V12, while it became something different...

10. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Well said...

11. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Sorry I misunderstood. But as for a manual Ferrari? Under the new management if the customer desire and money is there,they will come.

12. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I think it won't happen for a few reasons.

There is a generation shift wherein new customers will not accept a manual transmission. Ferrari see a manual gearbox as retrograde and they want to be positioned as the leading edge of technology. Type approval by regulators has become quite complex, so offering two or three optional drivetrain configurations in the same chassis is both technically challenging and expensive.

Granted, other manufacturers are doing it...Porsche and Mazda to name two. So, while it's certainly possible that Ferrari could offer a manual in the future, I would be surprised if we ever see another front engined V12 equipped with anything other than electronic F1-type gear change. Marketing considerations, demand, compliance/manufacturing complexity and cost all seem to be stacked against it.

13. ArmenVanquishS

ArmenVanquishS Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
    #138 ArmenVanquishS, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is the interior of the 2006/2007 Vanquish S, I think it looks great.
    The 2005 Vanquish S has the old dashboard, which I admit looks a bit old, or I would say old-fashioned... has its own charm too.

Very collectable car, as well. :) Only 1086 ever built, last of Newport Pagnell... and one of the most beautiful engine sounds, ever.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Red575 likes this.
  14. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
  15. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    It really is a sweet V12. And there are few of these cars 9some in the US) with manual shift...very rare...

16. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    nice, and I agree, one of the best sounding V12 ever produced. In this case ahead of the comparable Ferraris (at least regarding the volume of sound). The interior wasn't just exactly my personal taste (white gauges, air vents and side panels with speakers....), but that's just my opinion.

Anyhow, congrats for the car, with the low production number especially the S will become a highly appreciated car in the future, for sure. Enjoy her in good health.

Kind regards,

Jürgen

17. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#142 Bradwilliams, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    They're both equally good buys. Low production number and gorgeous looks will keep the 550 in a healthy price range until it makes its move to the top. And the 360cs is a DYNAMITE automobile with stunning looks over the standard 360. And the 360 will hit a much higher figure than the 550. Many on here have agreed that it is the modern equivalent to a 288 gto. Obviously not as legendary or as cool. But stunning, and dangerously low in production. Can't go wrong with either.

[/QUOTE]nice, and I agree, one of the best sounding V12 ever produced. In this case ahead of the comparable Ferraris (at least regarding the volume of sound). The interior wasn't just exactly my personal taste (white gauges, air vents and side panels with speakers....), but that's just my opinion. [/QUOTE]

couldn't agree more. However the interior does look better in person. The sound that the vanquish puts out trumps the 550 all day long. The aesthetic appeal is better too, but not by much. At the end of the day, the car was all there, everything was perfect, and then some scumbag in the development team decided to put that PIECE OF TRASH gearbox into it. Which is why the car has been somewhat shunned and the price has been slashed. Nobody wants to buy a Vanquish and then write a check for 40k (equivalent to another fun toy) to have the proper and non-faulty manual installed. If the vanquish had the manual to begin with it would already be near-legendary status. It is an epic car otherwise. I've always said, if I could get a vanquish off an owner unwilling to fix the F1 clutch for 30k. I'd buy it in a heartbeat, switch it to the stick, have it for a 70k in price. And sit on it for eternity. But that seems to be the impossible trick.

18. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    #143 fou, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    I have been using my 575 for winter maintenance with VDOT this year. My low valance helps clear the roads of snow for school buses.

I have had my 575 for 8 years or so, and it has been nothing but a space in the garage.
    i hate the car and knew it was going to make me money some how.

Finally this winter it was making me money; so I figure that is why prices are going up.
    i was snow clearing roads all over town.

After all these years, owners are finally realizing we can use them for snow clearing and UBER.

I was going to trade mine in for a tractor or taxi last year, but realized it is now a tax write off for work.

Every day this winter, I was clearing out the lot at the Dollar Store. Got snow tires with chains on the rear.

I was clearing roads so fast this winter, I went and just sprayed the front of my car with black rustoleum hard paint.

I am sure it is worth more now.

That is the reason I bought mine, knowing it was going to appreciate in value once people knew what a work car it is.

19. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Can't argue with or hold sarcasm with disdain. Lastly, If it is a paddle-shift 575, then carry on :)

20. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    I hope you know I am just kidding.....I do not have chains, just snow tires

21. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

hahaha. love it :)

22. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    I was pricing lawn mowers and said "what the hell ?"

I put a trailer hitch on my 911 and now have a triple blade mower on the back.

That car is so fast, I can cut 6 lawns a day, and still have time to lay beside the pool.

My 911 is worth more now cutting grass for neighbors and spreading seed than it would ever be if I sold it.

Got to think inside the box, not out of it.

That box is the one I wear on my head.

23. CambioManuale

CambioManuale Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I love different views, but while I always thought that people who called the 288 GTO a "highly tuned 308" were insane, I have to say that to call a 360 CS the new GTO is madness. I rather think that within a bubble one finds any argument to justify insanity. Then the 308 which was considered by some arrogant pundits to be the butcher's Ferrari (as the choice for low income who cannot afford...) becomes a legendary Ferrari, BTW I've always found it the most gorgeous looking Ferrari and I have a 328. I read the same argument for the Testarossa-dog, one of the worst driving experience put togethet by Ferrari (not the 512 TR which is superb). Now the market is "discovering" the 365/400/412 2+2 series, they are calling them the Enzo's four seaters... Please, at local F Clubs those owners would not even show up with their precious scrap metal. Because this is what the market always thought about these cars. (Not me. I love them like any other Ferrari). Next to be entering the legendary status of the finest Ferrari... 348s and Mondials? Sure. Then the very same pundits who depised them will lecture us on their fine design, qualities and collectability. As always this is all speculation and the market has got the final word, but... What the heck!

Nice idea to use the 550 for Uber services. And I am not joking here!

24. ArmenVanquishS

ArmenVanquishS Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
    Thanks for your kind words Jürgen, wishing you the same with your 550, enjoy ! :)

25. canadianferrarista

canadianferrarista Formula 3

Jan 16, 2010
    Calgary, Ab. Canada
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    I have owned 1 550 Barchetta and 3 575 Maranellos since 2009 and have enjoyed driving these cars in 4 driving seasons for more than 25,000 Miles.....not Km. The more I drove these cars, the more I enjoyed driving them. I think they are a truly great gentleman's touring car. I am off to the mountains now with the only remaining Maranello I have...the '05 575M F1.
    Enjoy your Maranellos my Ferrarista Friends. :)