Marcel Massini | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Marcel Massini

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Teenferrarifan, Nov 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Duct tape takes off points, no matter of the date code :p

As to the book, I think Mr.Massini is to the point that he does things like that more for the love of the cars than the money, and really cares less if the book sells or not. We buy his books because he has probably forgotten as much as as the rest of us combined actually know!

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  3. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Well put. Malicious prosecution is quite actionable.

4. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    If you're interested, I have hundreds of contemporary images available from 2000-now. Bandini, Abarth, Siata, Moretti.. Would love to see this project completed!

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #1 People don’t know what they think they know about the situation, including myself, but I know enough to know some posts here are B.S. and wrong. #2 Malicious prosecution is quite the pain in the ass and is most often first avoided.

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Rob, you're working way too much. I have read and re read this, and it doesn't make any sense.

Here try this, it is before your time:

Dem's dat know, ain't talking.

Dem's talking, don't know.

Dale

PS Can we have "new post" back again? Please. Pretty please?

7. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Ed Zachary! :)

Very Who-esque, Eh? ;);)

8. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

I would prefer period stuff, but yes, I am interested. By the way, there is an excellent but far from perfect etceterini book that exists with close to 500 period shots, published by Nada, and still available at the Libreria 'dell Automobile websitesite for something like 93 Euros plus post. It is in Italian only. The title is "La Sport E I Suoi Artigiani 1937-1965" Chaters in England may still have copies, but it was done about 4 years ago...

Direct link to the book on Libreria 'dell Auto site:

http://www.libreriadellautomobile.it/English/ViewBook.asp?IDBook=850

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Exactly, I'm just talking a little, I think that is representative. :)

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They should have popped for his book in Schedoni cover.........;)

11. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    There are always valuable people that people only miss when they have gone. Its a fact of life, because we all take people for granted sometimes. I too miss Marcels' posts of valuable info. I even asked Marcel for some help with some images of a certain car some time ago (albeit denied) but i still respect the guy for his input and discretion (much of which is also for the owners/keepers of said subjects).

A question that i would like to ask though is, on a photo that has no markings or stamp, how do we know how to go about contacting the original owner of that photo? Owner may have possibly died and original slides/transparencies lost/destroyed/etc. How do we go about an original photo then?
    I have some original period photos that have no description whatsoever that i would like to put on my website. How does one deal with this?

regards
    Paul

12. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Very difficult, as I have found old photographic prints at swap meets that I have no idea who they were done by, or who owns the rights, nor if the negatives still exist. Personally, I would post them on the internet, and remove them if asked to do so.

I also had an experience about 10 years ago where I was allowed to go through the files at Peterson Publishing. They were willing to make prints for my use only of what I wanted, but if I actually wanted to use them to produce a book, they wanted a rather sizeable fee in addition to the cost of making prints. As an example, there are a bunch of 1950s Mille Miglia photos with negatives sitting in the files. Some were used in period, but many never were. I would estimate the total archive to be in excess of 100,000 photos. Some were used in various Peterson Publications "in period", but 99% were never used, and will never see the light of day!

13. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    Thanks for the reply,
    Posting them on the internet would immediately get the backs up of the possible owners, but i suppose, how else would we get to know. My website pics would not be possible to download anyway (saving the image will not be possible), but they will all be low res anyway.
    As for the archive you mention, most frustrating that collections like that are hidden away. If i was rich, i would have no problem buying a collection and posting them all as good images. People should see these great evocative images.

14. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Marcel everything ok? It has been a while since you posted, and I am sure I speak for everyone in the vintage section I MISS YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND PICS :)
    Erik

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Yep, hasn't been on since last week of December and posted for 2 months. He has a love and hate relationship with FerrariChat.com. Not sure if that is loving to hate FerrariChat.com or hating that he loves FChat. :)

16. henk4

henk4 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Pieter Melissen
    I am pretty sure that he will hardly be pleased by this post though...

17. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    He also travels a lot, going to shows and barns, sleuthing old Ferraris. I would imagine that you will see him him at both Cavallino and Amelia Island.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Marcel not pleased with something? I don't believe it, Marcel is the least dramatic and emotional person I know. ;)

I've been working on Marcel for years to toughen him up, it has worked a little. :) He's a good guy.

19. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    LOLLL. Ooookay. Anyways. From what I read somewhere else he is in the middle of a move? Also visiting the US?

Marcel we need you to ID the Ferrari in the "My old F" thread. It's driving the guys nuts.:D

20. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR

Send Prosecco di Valdobbiadene to Marcel, watch the smile grow!

21. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    He told me this.

22. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Hi Peter, yes that's most likely where I heard it from. I know I read it here. Thank you.

23. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR

Is a sign of love for Ferrari historia!

24. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    Amen to that, come on Marcel, come to our rescue !
    Ed