Mark on paint from Magnetic charger | FerrariChat

Mark on paint from Magnetic charger

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by marky1, Nov 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Has anyone noticed that when you use the magnetic charger it just touches the paint on the car once it’s in place and it’s leaving a black mark on the paint almost like a burn? This is on an 812.

2. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
  3. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009
    Thanks for the post. Looks like some type of protection is warranted there.

4. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes exactly. For the moment I’m using a bit of cloth between the magnetic attachment and the paint.

5. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Yikes. I have not noticed that. Will check in the morning. Sorry this happened to yours. Mine has tripped out the RCD twice though. Do not know why. Electrician baffled too.

of2worlds and marky1 like this.
  6. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I believe that mark is caused when tipping the connector downwards to dislodge the magnet. There's not much clearance between the connector and the bumper fascia surface and it scuffs that area slightly. I have PPF in that area, temporarily you could put a piece of painter's tape there.

of2worlds likes this.
  7. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I don't think there is any clearance at all on mine, seems to actually touch. I'll get them to have a look when it next goes to the dealer. Makes sense what you are saying though, glad to hear it's not some type of a burn. I've started putting a bit of cloth between the connector and paintwork so will see how that goes. Hopefully the mark will polish out.

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I'll have to look but I think its just a surface scratch and- if you'll pardon me from using an oft used phrase- it should buff right out. I wouldn't worry too much.

Solid State and marky1 like this.
  9. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    marky1 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Ferrari should offer an option to film that spot. $1500 should do it.

marky1, Thecadster and Caeruleus11 like this.
  11. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sorry to see that. So it must be the action of removing the magnetic head, if you pull it down from the cable side it scratches the paint. For the moment I am sticking a cloth between the two. I may glue some kind of soft material onto the side of the magnet as a more permanent solution, and just be more careful how I remove it from charge.

12. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Classic Ferrari the magnet is not strong enough to hold with the pressure of the official car cover on the car. I had to cut a hole in mine. It’s extraordinary the lack of attention to detail.

13. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Exactly, it needs to be pulled straight down, not pivoted from the cable entry attachment.

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My car has full PPF and there is a divot in the PPF in the exact same spot as pictured.

15. gef3rd

gef3rd Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 21, 2009
    Palos Verdes Estates
    Full Name:
    George
    I saw this thread after getting my 812 at the end of October. There was the same mark in the paint before I used the charger. I believe the factory creates this issue. At some point the charger is attached while the paint is still curing/during shipping/some other point before owner takes delivery.

Caeruleus11 likes this.