MARS or BUST | Page 4 | FerrariChat

MARS or BUST

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by racerx, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Why can't GB just go play in his room like a good little boy?
    Seriously, get off the stage jackass! YOU'RE DONE!

2. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Captain John Smith ring any bells?

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    No, not at all... Is he from Pirates of the Carribbean...? Seriously, i have no idea...

4. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    I have to get used to NNO now.

Captain john smith was the leader of the jamestown settlement in Virginia. This was in 1606. It was 15 years before plymouth rock. Jamestown was the first permanent settlement of whiteys. To make a long story short, things got real tough and smith said to eat you must work. Pocohantas was part of this, you probably have heard of her. (disney movie)
    But basically this country was founded on self reliance, self determination, and freedom.

####################################
    It boils down to this- Do what you want and don't bother others. That applies to the government TOO. It is only in the last 60 years or so that the govt. has started to tell you how you can phuckin breathe. It is because of lawyers and lawyer/politicians and no term limits. It is a bastardization of the core of AMERICANISM
    ##########################################

As i said way before no one should be hungry or homeless because of the abundant wealth here but people who are putting a drag on others should not become more of a drag because of irresponsibility. So people who can't afford kids should not have them.
    T

5. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Norplant is reversible. It's just a little doohickey that gets inserted under the skin in the girl's arm just below the shoulder. Take it out and breed away...

But yeah, exponential population growth is a scary thing. I think we'll have to set up colonies on the moon, then Mars and its moons just to have a place to put everyone. Say what you will about the Chinese, but at least they have the balls to do something about it, while over here we encourage it and give people tax credits and more welfare money for having more kids.

-R

6. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    While I think what randall suggests is a little extreme, I do not think that it is completely out of the picture to require mandatory drug testing before the start of welfare patients...

Also, the system needs to be changes so that people are not encouraged to stay on welfare, but rather to find jobs.

Maybe I am wrong, but I also find it kind of odd that yesterday I saw someone buying designer hair care products/Haagn Daaz ice cream (the really small one, the most expensive) all on food stamps. You would think someone in this position would want to stretch their dollars - I guess not?

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    You'll get used to it... :)

As far as all that other stuff... Things are so screwed up because all of this stuff ties into who we vote for and the decisions that "we" make through them and yadda yadda yadda... We're doomed no matter which way we go... The world will eventually end... Long after you and i are gone... i hope the next civilization learns from our mistakes...

i didn't know norplant was reversible... Not a bad idea, then, i suppose... i also agree there should be drug testing before financial assistance is given... That's for another thread, though... We've completely torn this Mars thread apart...

Hard for me to focus here, i'm doing 20 different things... Let me know if i missed something...

8. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall

If she gets on her feet and stops using up tax money, then remove it and pump out more kids. Doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. Stops the problem and the complaint of women on welfare having more and more kids on welfare.

As far as "fascist population control", maybe we should go to a communist style of living if that's how you feel. Everyone can share everything, all will be equal. Or we can live in reality, where people are different. Some are smarter, dumber, richer or poorer. Some people can't afford to, or just shouldn't have kids. The government offering to pay ALL people under the age of 25 to get surgically sterilized is not forcing a way on any "certain" group, although some groups (junkies/extremely poor) will do it more than others. You could always give me that "slippery slope" arguement, but I'm not much into that discussion or conspiracy theories. I don't think 22 year old junkies need to be pumping out kids, you may feel it's their right (which it is), but I don't think it should be other peoples obligation to pay for it (with MORE tax dollars).

Welfare is a great idea, but strings should be attached. If they think they should have more kids while on it, or not take drug tests while on it- then they shouldn't get it.

Since you seem to have all the answers, can you come up with an efficient and cost effective way to slow unwanted population growth? Bleeding heart liberals can't solve social problems (drugs, crime, welfare) without robbing more from the people that aren't part of the probem.

I noticed not a lot of people disagreed with me, which makes me wonder how people truly feel.

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I saw Total Recall. Everybody had that stereotypical welfare look about them. True story.

10. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Dave, its a fact that the Earth is starting to run out of resources & we are going to war more frequently over energy. Would you prefer that humanity spend the 21st C at war over resources then people in the 22nd C can live in a Mad Max style nightmare once all the resources have been depleted bcus humanity was too stupid to go to space while we had the chance. Or would you prefer that we go to space now adn ensure a peaceful future where there are enough resources & energy for everybody ? I know which one I would pick.

And it wont cost a trillion $. Several hundred B $ for sure but if done properly & if the private sector is heacily involved that $several hundred B would only be a deposit on an investment that will bring back unimaginable wealth. How much did the Queen of Spain invest in Columbus ? She sure got a great return on her investement, it made Spain THE European superpower for over a Century.

11. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Yeah, but think of the Martians that will catch syphillis.

Pardon my yuk-yuks when it comes to space, but I just think it's such a fractional return on investment compared to taking care of the waters of the world. Spend an equal amount of money on preserving, exploring & understanding aquatic environment - even such "trivial" fixes such as sewage runoffs, etc. and see habitats not only return to better days, but flourish. Technological, thermal and zoological advancements will be as exponential as those derived from space exploration. Far too much is unknown not just by laymen, but by those who still discover something new (good or bad), but can't do a damn thing about it, because of Cold-War Race for Space competitions with Red Flags of the world.

12. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This moon/mars thing has the same political purpose that it did in the 60's and 70's with Vietnam and Whitehouse scandals, something shiny to divert the public's attention from our current mess.

Many billions spent on the first go round and all we brought back was a box of rocks.

Some of you guys have been watching too much Star Trek.

13. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    You are obviuosly extremely misinformed. The Apollo missions brought many advances in technology which are taken for granted today, it proved many theories about space travel and it was the greatest exploration mankind has ever done to date. Perhaps you should read some books about the subject. As the Chinese say "Better for people to think you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt "

Speaking of the Chinese, they are part of the reason for this new space race. If the Queen of Spain had allowed Italy to send Columbus then Italy would have been the superpower of the 16th C & not Spain. Same goes today, if the US allows the Chinese to go to the Moon & start a base there unchallenged you can say Goodbye to the US status as supreme superpower on Earth bcus the Chinese will have earned it

14. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    I would not hold out any hope WILLIAM for spook reading any of those books as he did not read the earlier posts of this thread. I already mentioned the existing plans that were scuttled that would have put us on mars by now. This is not a journey with an ending.
    It takes balls and leadership to set these goals and to actually be the ones who venture out. Like WILLIAM said all through history it was those with the balls like columbus and ballsy Isabella that lead to the refutation of the lost mainstream who actually thought you'd fall off the planet when you reached the horizon.
    Spook why don't you put south park on pause long enough to send in your membership renewal to the flat earth society.
    Kennedy, Johnson, and now GW show some major balls and foresight for proposing great plans.
    T

15. Kjell

Kjell Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    WillainH states,

The Apollo missions brought many advances in technology which are taken for granted today,

Really? What are they??

Kjell

16. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    A few are, heavy lift rockets for getting large payloads into space, improved tech for satelites which are used for TV, telephones, surveillance, and have many commercial uses, Apollo helped a lot in materials research because a lot of cutting edge compostites like those found on the F40, F50, & Enzo were first used back in the 70s. Tools & apparatus which were made specifically for Apollo helped to launch the silicone chip revolution which ultimately lead to the internet. Materials for use in extreme environments for cold or wet weather are derived from space suits like ski clothing, or survival suits, Cool suits which many race car drivers use were developed for NASA in the 60s to cool the astronauts, titanium manufacturing processes were much improved, Apollo pioneered many theories regarding space navigation and proved many theories regarding rocketry and helped general aviation and makes modern passenger jets safer & more economical as well as making fighter jets faster & more deadly. The of course you get velcro & tang and high tech electric cars like the buggies the astronauts left on the Moon.

There are MANY more advances that APollo brought to society, this is merely a short list

Future advances from space travel will include much larger access to endless free solar energy, new sources of pure fresh water as well as new sources for many mineral & energy resources and will eventually lead to a drastic drop in prices & much greater availability of energy & resources to everyone in the world

17. Kjell

Kjell Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Don't have time to go thru the whole list but here's a cuople of myths -

"Then of course you get velcro & tang"

Velcro - invented by George de Mestral inn Switzerland, 1948

Tang - developed by General Foods in 1965 - became famous
    when chosen by NASA.....

Oh and the other common myth - Teflon -
    discovered by Dupont chemist Roy J Plunkett in 1938.......

These products may have been used by NASA, but that doesn't
    mean they invented them....

Kjell

18. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Per Wlliam H:

"There are MANY more advances that APollo brought to society, this is merely a short list."

OK William, I'll take your bait and agree with a couple of your points. I guess my point, which I didn't make clear at all, is that this is all coming out of the public pocket. Let the private sector that stands to make so much money lend some major financing. I wonder what Bill Gates's thoughts on this would be.

In case you need an update, it looks like NASA's latest gadget for exploring the Final Frontier has blown a vacuum tube. They just can't
    seem to get it right, no matter how much cash you feed them.

19. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I agree - hence my previous closing comment:
    ...but can't do a damn thing about it, because of Cold-War Race for Space competitions with Red Flags of the world.

That's half the "challenge" of this whole thing. Keep up with the Joneses, if you will. Thing is, China wouldn't have this capability if Clinton and Gore hadn't been traitors (Chinagate). Therefore, cause and effect of this space-race money not going to those whom Democrats are purported to support (poor,etc.) is due to Democrats.

20. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    Looks kike it's BUST!

21. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Not so fast, i just heard that they got a signal from it. Give it time. There is also a second rover that will be touching down tomorrow night on the other side of mars called oppurtunity. Hopefully you don't scrap your car if it fails to start. But that is why we need humans there.

But think for a while about the accomplishment of these rovers reaching and landing on mars. it's amazing.
    T

22. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    Dude..it's over. The signal was a built-in I am receiveing your cammands response. It just means the radio is working. This robotic stufff is nonsense. What a racket. Multi-million dollar erector sets. The NASA engineers ( or JPL) of today are not of the caliber of the apollo era engineers. Not even close.

23. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m

Exactly. NASA is funded by taxpayers and whatever benefits are patented and profited by the private sector. Great return on our dollars.
    Now with this being a more global economy, im sure more of these advances will start overseas.

24. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    i'm really looking forward to a manned mission to mars. ever since i was a little kid and went through the astronaut stage the manned mission to mars has always been in the back of my mind. the technology that we would get out of the program would be our benefits to the mission. it'd be a reason to really get back into developing a better shuttle and new landing craft. even though from what i've read a mars landing craft will be similar to that of the apollo missions.

i really think bush is doing it as a ploy for the election year, but still, it'd be great if we could look to space again. it's been so long since we've done anything really spectacular with the space program that it's gotten boring. if this is what it takes to get people interested in the space program again then i think it's a great idea.

from what i've read on msn news and other news sites nasa administrators say they don't need 30 years to develope the mars landing program. they landed on the moon in 7 and they say that with existing technology all they'd need is another 7 to get to mars. given the right funding of course.

25. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m

Book now http://www.orbitz.com/