Marshall Goldman Motors? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Marshall Goldman Motors?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by FarhanRoute786, Feb 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Partially right: no one in the USA - no dealer period- can sell a car used or not without cats.
    It happened to me with my testarossa I bought from Ferrari in Florida. I had lawyers involved and it was an EPA violation and they were ordered to
    Fix it and their costs which they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShineKen likes this.
  2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    So I'm going to be a little harsh on the OP, nothing personal just hoping other buyers can learn from the experience....We hear these kinds of stories WAY more than we should here.

The OP failed to carry out due diligence on this purchase. Why would you have the selling dealer arrange a PPI? You handed the keys to the hen house to the wolf. Cleveland may not be exotic car headquarters but it's not BFE either. You could have found an independent inspector yourself

Did you get the inspector to send you detailed pictures of the cosmetic issues?

Did you have a detailed discussion of what you wanted checked prior to the inspection? Did you tell him to look at the keys situation?

Was the check engine light on during the inspection? What is the check engine light for?

Minor point, I don't like sellers arranging for shipping....we've all seen the horror stories.

The last most important thing is why did you not go see the car in person before handing over close to 6 figures after it passed inspection? I always do that because since I'm not wealthy I can't afford to make dumb mistakes.....first of all I'm not trusting of sellers, I'm going to take a good look at the car myself and drive it. Finally, it makes for a fun roadtrip.

Hope you can get all this stuff fixed and have a good ownership experience.

3. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
    So I'm going to be a little harsh on the OP, nothing personal just hoping other buyers can learn from the experience....We hear these kinds of stories WAY more than we should here.
    The OP failed to carry out due diligence on this purchase. Why would you have the selling dealer arrange a PPI? You handed the keys to the hen house to the wolf.
    Agreed- would they be a wolf or a shark?

Cleveland may not be exotic car headquarters but it's not BFE either. You could have found an independent inspector yourself.
    Learn from my mistake. Preferred to buy local from now on. There are plenty of cars in the bay area, ca.

Did you get the inspector to send you detailed pictures of the cosmetic issues?
    No he did not. Said he was a paint/body expert. I took him and the Seller's word at face value, together with the Seller's photos. I am not the only one to fall face first into this trap, according to the BBB page of this business.

Did you have a detailed discussion of what you wanted checked prior to the inspection? Did you tell him to look at the keys situation?
    Missing keys were not an issue until the car was delivered. The Seller then mailed me the missing manuals and immobilizer, but could not find the silver key. The silver key is still not in my possession 4 months later. They said it was backordered, out of their control from scuderiaparts.com However Ferrari NA said it would only take 10 days to arrive. There is a difference of opinion there.

Was the check engine light on during the inspection? What is the check engine light for?
    According to the PPI inspector who has a Leonardo, there was no check engine light. I don't have a video to verify this story. The check engine light was 2 cylinders misfiring. Plugs, coils, thermostat. There was also 2 leaking fuel lines.

Minor point, I don't like sellers arranging for shipping....we've all seen the horror stories.
    The Seller has always arranged shipping for me with no issues in the past. Now it's a red flag. This was their GOLD STANDARD Shipper that I had to wait 3 extra weeks for. Their unverified shipper was ready immediately, but I should wait, they said.

The last most important thing is why did you not go see the car in person before handing over close to 6 figures after it passed inspection? I always do that because since I'm not wealthy I can't afford to make dumb mistakes.....first of all I'm not trusting of sellers, I'm going to take a good look at the car myself and drive it. Finally, it makes for a fun roadtrip.
    My excuse is I bought it Dec 2020 and most people weren't flying due to covid. It just seemed like a great deal. LOL
    100% I should have seen the car in person. SFO to Cleveland Ohio is quite a drive.

Hope you can get all this stuff fixed and have a good ownership experience.
    Thank you the car is almost sorted. Final few details on 30 items that needed fixing.

I did post a couple videos about my experience. Any internet buyer could fall into the same wolf trap.

Shark01 likes this.
  4. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    You bought a 19-year-old used car. Get over it. :rolleyes:

DOWORKFCAR and INRange like this.
  5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Sounds like the OP isn't letting the false steps interfere with the ownership experience which is the best outcome. We've read a few stories where owners couldn't let go of a poor buying experience and felt the pain again every time they saw it.

One actionable item I see here is the check engine light. If your inspector put that in writing that there was no CEL, you could have a case with MG that it happened on their watch.

And on the question of wolf vs shark....the shark not only eats the chickens but also they guy that handed him the key.....the ultimate alpha predator

Rob Chiang likes this.
  6. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
    Hi Shark01,

I am DEFINITELY going to enjoy the car. I loved it the 2 weeks I had it home out of the 5 months of ownership. LOL.

Hi Boke,

In regards to buying a 19 year old car, I am with you on that. There were more than 30 things that needed to be fixed/tuned on the car. I only asked the dealer to reimburse me for 5 things wrong with the car.

Everytime that I drive the car and it's working properly, trust me, I am "over it". Anybody have some cheese to go with my whine?

ScottS, halr75, tritone and 2 others like this.
  7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

8. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Problem is the first interaction can either make or break how a person views the dealership.

I also tried to buy a car from them and I understand these dealerships gets bombarded by tire kickers but I’m sorry, that’s part of being in the business.

Their attitude towards me was wire the amount were asking and the we can talk about the car. We don’t negotiate, you’re lucky we are allowing you the opportunity to buy the car from us.

I understand they may cater to the people who get focused on a certain car and they have it, so I’ll pay for it. But that just isn’t me.

9. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
    Hi PA32Pilot,

My first and only experience with Foreign Cars Italia Greensboro, NC was 5 stars from start to finish. The car I purchased from them without ordering a PPI was EXACTLY as described. Stacey Sanders is a true gentleman. I would gladly buy from them again.

In contrast, my one and only experience with Marshall Goldman did not go as expected. I only buy 1-2 cars per year. I do have acquaintances who have bought multiple cars from the Beverly Hills location with no issues. If you are a dealership selling 1000's of cars each year there are bound to be some post-sale issues, it's just a matter of HOW or IF you even deal with them. Look at youtuber "speed phenom" who got royally screwed over with his 600LT purchase. Through the pressure of social media and negative review bombing he was able to be made whole. Good for him. I am just a regular guy with no media influence to make that same move. All I can do is say my peace and move on.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/broken-300000-mclaren-600lt-turned-out-to-be-a-nightmare-held-up-by-zip-ties/

10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The unfortunate thing Rob is you joined this forum after buying the car. The first car forum I ever joined was a Jaguar one back in 2000 when my wife informed me that the new Jaguar S-Type would be her next car. I got a lot of valuable information before we bought her 2nd year 2001 V6 model (I found out the inaugural 2000 model had a lot of issues, particularly the V8). Since then I joined a Lexus forum before buying my new LS460, and I joined this forum before buying my first Ferrari.

I've seen this happen in several other non-car forums. People join after they've made the mistake and looking for help, instead of joining beforehand and avoiding the mistake in the first place.

11. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
    I tried to do as much research on the general model of the car, but not enough research on the specific car being purchased. Yes, a key distinction. I should have had asked a local member to go check it out. **sigh**

12. EuroCarEnthusiast

May 12, 2021
    USA
    Full Name:
    Undisclosed
    No experience with them. I had read that Marshall Goldman does not do any consignment, so I find it really interesting that they seem to have so much high-end/expensive inventory all the time. They must have $20+ million of inventory at any given time.

13. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I wonder if thats my old 360. I had constant check engine light/emissions issues and traded it for a California in, I think, 2015. I was in Los Angeles.

Vin was ZFFYT53A140137712

14. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Who did the PPI? I was looking at a car from MG back in 2015 timeframe. They would not let me take the car outside for a PPI, but would allow an outside inspector to come to MG. The only shop in the Cleveland area that I found to do a PPI was North Coast Exotics. Ended up not getting that far so can not vouch for them.

Rob Chiang and EuroCarEnthusiast like this.
  15. EuroCarEnthusiast

May 12, 2021
    USA
    Full Name:
    Undisclosed
    I was going to ask the same question. Generally, I would be skeptical about any dealer arranging the PPI due to potential conflict of interest. My personal view is that I would want to have a PPI completed by a company/person who is qualified/trusted, but also completely independent of the selling party.

16. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
    Yes, indeed, the same players here. Earl at North Coast Exotics did the PPI on my 360.

17. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
    Hi Anunakki,

My car has a different vin. Spent most of it's life in Florida 2002-2017, then Texas briefly in 2018, then Ohio to MG dealer in 2019, where it sat, then to me in California in 2021.

Your old car was not worth sorting out?

anunakki likes this.
  18. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I think MG buys a lot of their cars at auctions.

Rob Chiang likes this.
  19. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
    It would be great if there was a license for automotive PPI's so there could be some sort of national standard with a code of ethics. Similar how to a home, termite and roof inspection are done prior to purchasing a piece of property. Anyone going to invent that soon?

EuroCarEnthusiast likes this.
  20. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
    anunakki likes this.
  21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    [​IMG]

Well there's your problem right there. You shouldn't have your car detailed at the cleaners! :D

tomc likes this.
  22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    No, more like everyone will stop doing them because of goofy comments.....

You needed to be more involved in the process, photos, video, phone discussions, asking pointed questions. I usually end up paying $1,000 or so for a PPI because I tell the guy upfront what I expect.

23. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I took it to two shops in LA and spent close to $10k trying to sort it with no success. So i lost patience and traded it.

Mine

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rob Chiang likes this.
  24. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
    Wait a minute...the sign says they clean leather?? .....haha

Nospinzone likes this.
  25. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang
    Yikes, yes that would be frustrating. Twins indeed.

anunakki likes this.