Maser Coupe vs. 456 - Anyone driven both? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Maser Coupe vs. 456 - Anyone driven both?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by ryalex, Jan 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    you know what they say about women making a lot of the real purchase decisions...?

My wife liked the interior of the Maser better and she thinks that pop up headlights on the 456 are so "80s". I would have been fine with either. In this case I did not need anymore encouragement. I went out and bought the 02! There are of course places where one can choose to disagree. I have owned 3 Alfa GTV6s, a car that she hated to drive, always criticised the looks of, and the dislike was even mutual (the 3.0 litre converted one blew its plenum when she tried to start it with too much throttle)

2. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    My dad has a Maser and he loves it. I have driven it multiple times and can say its the better choice if you have a young kid. I can fit two teenagers(17-19yr.old) in the back of my dads Maser. His friend has a 456 and there is no hope for the back seat, it just teases you...

The Maser is a Wolf in Sheeps disguise...
    The F-Car is a Sheep is Wolfs disguise...

3. mak

mak Karting

Sep 29, 2004
    Yea the Maser doesn't show it on the outside but the rear seats are surprisingly roomy for a Coupe...

4. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I guess we had different opinions.

I was referring to the modern XKE coupe.

I think the Maser interior is overated too, it appears they tried to hard to make it look right, whereas the 456 interior is a true work of art with the row of gauges across the dash the much better leather used.

5 years from now I assure you the 456 will retain a higher resale value to the Maser.

5. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Styling is subjective, but the leather ??!!! The Maser's hides are are softer and better matched, with more padding, intricate stitching and piping. While I often prefer simpler rectalinear/modern shapes, the slightly neoclassical approach on the coupe interior works quite nicely. And the graphic design on the gauges is fantastic. The 456 gauges could come out of a Toyota.
    When it comes to value, I am not that concerned. I bought my coupe for 55K, and it was 91K new. I let the other guy take care of the initial depreciation. A good 456 is currently 75K. In 2-3 years when I plan to upgrade the Maser for a 360 Modena, the Maser might go down 10-15K, and I suspect that the Ferrari will do the same, maybe only 10K. In the end, I do not think of it as a financial instrument like a fund or a bond. I make sure that I do not take food away from the mouths of babes with my hobbies, but I do not expect something for nothing. I make my choices based on experience/passion, not retained value.

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well the Jags must be different there, because my wife loves them (we have had three in the last five years) and none of them (including the XJR) come close to the Maserati in quality of materials. As far as the 456 being worth more in five years I'd say it will probably be a toss up, and if it's an early model 456, not a chance. I think alot depend on how Maseratis new models do, if they are more successful than long term values will not drop as far.

7. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    To say the 456 will be worth more is too vague. The maintance costs will certainly offset all or part of the percieved higher value.

8. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #33 asianbond, Jan 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    First of all they are in two different classes. The 456 cost over 200k new and considered in the same prestigous league as the Bentley Contiental and Aston Martins. The 456 is a sporty GT so by definition it will not be as nimble as the Maser. It is basically a 550 with 4 doors and softer suspension settings. The workmanship and quality that goes into building the 456 and 550 is on a whole different level from the 355/360 models. Notwithstanding the snipes you hear about problems with the electric windows, they are quite reliable cars without any major issues. It's been written many times that the 456 is the most beautiful design of modern ferraris.

The Maser costs a bit under 100k new and should be compared to the Porsche 996 class. I personally think the 456 will bottom out at 45-55k range, similiar to the 348s, you are still getting a ton of car for the money. I expect the maser to depreciate inline with Porsche 996 (you can get a 996 for under 30k these days), I don't expect any "exotic car premium" on the Maser to keep the prices inflated above the normal depreciation curve, unlike the 456 which is still consider quite rare and prestigous and should hold its value. Bottom line, the maser does not have a great reputation in the states, they look kind of plain and too many were produced. Besides I dislike the car due to the cowl shake present in both the coupe and convertible, it's an inherent design defect.

I attached some pics of both interiors, you can judge for yourself. i'm quite amazed that someone says the Maser has a much larger back seat, they are both small.

Undoubtly, the maser is a new car and has more of the modern options, but I don't think we're really comparing apples to apples here.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    is the maser so much more of a modern design than 456? wasnt maser avail in europe for much of the 1990's as the 3200? both are nice but imho assuming both going to be driven at least 5k mi/yr it comes down to warantee. v12 repairs must be scarry.

10. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Cambiocorsa repairs out of warranty are not going to be any picnic either.

11. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Come on guys, the 456 was one the most expensive cars sold, more than a 550 and as much as a Lamborghini, Bentley or Rolls, so please do not expect maintenance cost to be in line with Hondas or a Chevy. Eithe route you go the Maser will not be much less than the 456 in maintenance cost. If you want to hang with the big boys you'll have to pay.

On the bright side, I have not recall of hearing of any major failure for the engine or gearbox, it's typically only the cambelt change and ancillary items that need attention. I'm would be more concern about the new BMW 7 series in out of warranty maintenance cost.

12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I love the 456 so that would be my choice. However, I would only choose the 456 if I was buying a 'fun' car. If I were even thinking of considering buying a car to drive every day or regularly, I'd go with the Maserati. There is no substitue for newer technology when it comes to a daily driver. My 2 lira.

13. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I drove around in the back seat of a 456 and it was indeed pretty tight. My knees were touching the front seat, which was pushed forward enough to allow the person in front to be comfortable as well. Im 5'9'' ish.

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i think the question is largely subjective, and comes down to looks.
    i have thought about this many times as well, and i pass by a f/m dealer every day and go in an talk with the guys and kick the tires. i have driven both cars numerous times.

cost wise, lets just say they are wtihin spitting distance of each other, depending on years, miles etc.

maintenance is going to be cheaper on the maser if its still under warranty, but i have heard many things going wrong anyway. a 7-8 yr old 456 has by now had all the wrinkles ironed out of it by previous owners - windows, belts, etc. so you are about in the same place.

value. the maser will continue to lose at a more rapid pace since there were many more made, and the new model is coming now and will toss the old ones over the cliff. the 456 is reaching bottom and may have another 10pct to go. so thats a scratch too.

performance. nearly the same. who is out there with the dash mounted stopwatch on the weekends with either of these? nobody.

seating. almost identical. the maser has better attachments for car seats, but a car seat can be fitted to the 456, so no real issue.

gearbox. do you want f1, 6 speed, or auto. finally a deciding factor

looks. personally i like the 456 better. i dont know what it is about the maser, but something is off in those lines.

so there you have it imho.....it comes down to looks only, and maybe a little gearbox issue.

now the gransport is an entirely different story.....

15. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    #40 F SPIDER, Jan 23, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had myself pretty much convinced that I should get a Maserati CambioCorsa instead of the 456 6 speed. But then my wife said that I should get the Ferrari, so I obeyed of course.

With the Elise (on the way) for the fun drives, the 456 can be used with the kids. Now, if the GranSport would have been available at the time, the outcome could have been different.

16. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    That's quite a stretch. Other than the bare block, there is no commonality at all.

Gary

17. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    One thing about the 456 is that it is a wonderful tourer/highway cruiser. One of my main reasons for buying one was for taking it on long-ish trips, at which it excels.

18. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    This appeals to me: if I get it it would of course be a product show car and I'd like to do a promo tour Boston>Miami>LA>SF>Chicago... ;)

19. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Hmm, your company might need to hire me for assistance on that tour :) Unpaid internship of some kind?

20. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I am going to need a sidekick/navigator for at some if not all of the trip... I didn't think anyone would want to cruise across America for 3 weeks in a V12 Ferrari!

21. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I took a buddy up to WWOC in Spring Valley, NY to get his 550. The showroom is packed wih Masers and Fcars, new and used.
    Really liked those Maser spyders. Problem is, I drive 80 miles a day. I am not thinking that a a used maser would hold up. Too bad.