Maserati exhibition | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Maserati exhibition

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by mairesse, Oct 23, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Not really sure if they are placed too high but the edges are much sharper than on the original which appear to have a much softer curve into the opening. They also appear to be more egg shaped than round. Of course we are getting a bit anal on that part.

If I'm not mistaken the big question on #3503 would be the chassis origin.

2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    With any Ferrari of this significance this would be very "anal".
    A car of this caliber -and in particular with a somewhat dubious provenance- needs to be perfect! The section around the radiator opening became too long that automatically places the holes in a higher position.

It is VEEEERY difficult to replicate a 300S/350S-body. Fantuzzi was a Genius! The most of the panel beaters are not....

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Bonnet budges are all wrong too. They taper down on the original, but not on the current body.
    Pete

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    +++1! The budgets are also too narrow and the cuts on top of the rear fenders are also not like on the original car!

5. Franco Lombardi

Franco Lombardi Karting

Nov 17, 2009
    Genova
    Full Name:
    Franco Lombardi
    Yes, there are a few mistakes in the recreated body of the 350S V12 here exhibited. Several previous posts have pointed out areas where there is something wrong. Nevertheless, reproducing a full body without having a correct item to copy and operating therefore only through photos (a few photos!), does not help and makes almost impossible to get near perfection. I think after all that the guys from Vigonza (Padua) responsible for the job handled their task quite well.
    We also know that the V12 engine in the car is the real thing, manufactured in Modena in 1957. A superb unit! BTW, Walter, do you think this was the engine fitted to Behra’s 250F used in practice at the 500 Miglia di Monza in 1957?
    Then we get again to the main question. Any evidence about the resurfacing of this car?

6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Franco, well, the VIGONZA-chaps made for sure a good job. But there are enough photo existing that could help to avoid such mistakes around the front section of the car.
    Not sure if they made it correct around the rear section because its a big challenge to find photos that shows the car from behind!

Yes, I think this engine was in the Behra 250F in Monza 1957.

7. Michele

Michele Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    The Hague, Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel Mulder
    Gentlemen, Mille Grazie from Holland for this wonderfull thread.
    Today, I stumbled upon this thread because I was looking for info on the 857S in MEF. I read it from start to finish without seriously doing anything else but cooking a meal.
    I visited the exhibition on november 4th to do an article for the Maserati Club Holland magazine and I was impressed by the 350S since you rarely see one of these cars in public. Now I know a lot more than what was written on the information board.

8. FRECCIA D'ORO

FRECCIA D'ORO Rookie

Jul 26, 2010
    I was in MEF today ,and the exibition is fantastic.
    I was there after a total immersion in this fantastic tread.
    Tks to all of you because with all your info was a very nice experience,I still have the curiosity about the #3503 chassis provenience.
    On the pannel is written found in the 90ies in South America.......any more info??

9. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I would be more than surprised....!

10. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    Many years ago, I wrote in a British magazine how refreshing it would be to hear a car owner and his restorers declaring proudly "Look at what we have built" - instead of insisting "Look at what we have found...".

DCN

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Or even, here is a really clear photo of what we found and the rest we built as accurately as we could.
    Pete

12. Franco Lombardi

Franco Lombardi Karting

Nov 17, 2009
    Genova
    Full Name:
    Franco Lombardi
    Dear friends,
    Some of you might like to know that, taking advantage of the beautiful “Ferrari – Maserati Challenge” Exhibition on stage at the MEF (Museo Casa Natale Enzo Ferrari) in Modena, I have proposed to AISA (Associazione Italiana per la Storia dell’Automobile) and the MEF management to organize there a conference mainly directed to cover a rather marginally explored area: the influence of racing cars on the designers’ activity.
    The AISA-MEF conference is tentatively planned for Saturday 16 March. Several major designers will attend the event offering their contribution.
    Lorenzo Ramaciotti and Leonardo Fioravanti – both with major Ferrari and Pininfarina experience – will be with us together with Mauro Forghieri, who will illustrate the stylistic evolution of the Ferrari rear engined prototypes in the ’60, while Adolfo Orsi will cover the obscure (and highly relevant) activity of the so-called “minor” Modenese carrozzerias.
    I will be handling the relationship between Scaglietti and Pinin Farina, while former Pinin Farina designer Aldo Brovarone will offer an insider’s view of his work there.
    Guido Rosani will give us a few hints on the stylistic origin of the Lancia D50, while Ercole Spada will refer on his Alfa Romeo SZ and TZ activity.
    This is just a preliminary information for those of you who might like attend the event and save the date.
    More information would follow early in 2013.
    Unfortunately, budget constraints do not allow us to provide simultaneous translation facilities. Any suggestion for a sponsor or any Institution willing to get involved in the conference and help us on this front is quite welcome. We would be delighted to offer a possibility for the English speaking enthusiasts and researchers to fully enjoy the event.
    You may send me a PM for further information.
    Thank you for your attention and best Season greetings to all of you.
    Franco Lombardi

13. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Although I probably would not be able to attend, you may want to consider scheduling the conference sometime in May to coincide with all the events taking place in Italy. MM, Villa, etc. Plus the 50th Anniversary Celebrations of Lamborghini and Iso Rivolta will also take place in May. That may help getting individuals from this side of the Atlantic if they could tie it together with a their trip in May.

14. Franco Lombardi

Franco Lombardi Karting

Nov 17, 2009
    Genova
    Full Name:
    Franco Lombardi
    Yes, this is a possibility. Unfortunately the exhibition should close at the end of March. Moreover, from my past experience, placing another event among a busy skedule not always works.
    Finally, I am afraid that the number of persons intersted in attending our conference will be always limited to a few persons calling each other by Christian names.
    Nevertheless, it should be good fun for the few interested parties being around at the time. I will offer further information in the following weeks.
    FL

15. Franco Lombardi

Franco Lombardi Karting

Nov 17, 2009
    Genova
    Full Name:
    Franco Lombardi
    #140 Franco Lombardi, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In relationship to the lovely Modena Exhibition “The Great Challenges Ferrari – Maserati” at the MEF (Museo Casa Enzo Ferrari) previously discussed in this thread, let me inform you that on 16 May 2013 I am co-ordinating on behalf of AISA (Associazione Italiana per la Storia dell’Automobile) at the MEF (Museo Casa Enzo Ferrari) in Modena, within “The Great Challenges Ferrari – Maserati” exhibition, a Conference on “Speed and Beauty – The Designer’s Double Challenge,” with the participation of historians and designers.
    Enclosed is a program/invitation you might hopefully consider.
    It may not be easy for foreigners to attend this Italian event, but if you happen to be in the area, or may arrange a trip, this might be a good opportunity to see a lovely exhibition while discussing the designers’contributions in interpreting the technical requirements of racing cars.
    Franco Lombardi
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Franco,
    FYI, your write up indicates that the event will take place 16 May, 2013. The invitation lists 16 March, 2013.

17. Franco Lombardi

Franco Lombardi Karting

Nov 17, 2009
    Genova
    Full Name:
    Franco Lombardi
    Ohoops! Sorry, I made a mistake, of course the event is 16 March

18. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    So any new infos about the provenance of this "350S" (claiming #3503) that is displayed in the Enzo Ferrari museum in Modena until march 20th?

19. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
  20. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
  21. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    The auction house probably knows that, thus they issue a disclaimer/warning at the bottom:

they probably couldn't write "it's a fake", because it wouldn't sell :)

22. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
  23. JFB1

JFB1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    Not sure that the original 350S #3502 still exists today as a 350S . It may be the Swedish GP car practised by Moss at Kristianstad with race N°8 in August 1956 . After that event , most probably #3502 was renumbered #3062 and started a new life as 300S with Moss winning the Venezuelan GP at Caracas in November 1956 . Then the chassis number and engine #3052 left free were used for the 300S ex-Whitehead #3064 and sold to Parravano as a 350S.

24. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    350S #3502 is a live, well and was shown last weekend at Amelia Island. You are probably thinking of #3501 which had a 450S engine in it for practice at the Swedish GP. That chassis still exists and is all documented earlier in this thread.

25. JFB1

JFB1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    No less than 6 Maseratis were entered for the 1956 GP of Sweden at Kristianstad . Among them 2 chassis 350S : #3501 used as a test bed for the V8 engine and identified "T" ( the car of this thread now owned by Franco Lombardi ) ; and #3502 practiced by Moss with N°8 and raced by him with N°10 ( dnf ) . This 350S was previously raced by Taruffi at the Bari GP with N°40 in July , and raced by Perdisa at the 1000km of Nurburgring with N°12 in June ( practiced by Taruffi with N°6 ) . Could be also the 350S raced by Behra at the Dakar 2hours in March with N°40 .
    I think the car you are talking is not the same : it is the ex 300S of Whitehead chassis #3064 renumbered #3502 at the factory , fitted with the 3,5l engine and sold to Parravano as 350S .