Maserati first and second. | FerrariChat

Maserati first and second.

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Fan512bbi, Nov 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    FIA GT: Historic Maserati one-two in Zhuhai

Zhuhai - With a spectacular one-two, the two Maserati MC12s fielded by AF Corse signed off the FIA GT championship in the best of ways.

Run at Zhuhai, China, the result was important in strengthening the Trident marque in what is a market with enormous growth potential. Chief Executive Martin Leach, the heads of local dealerships and invited guests were present at the track to witness the great event.

Having set the second and third fastest times in qualifying, Herbert and Salo got off to a reasonable start and after the first round of pit stops the MC12s had moved into the lead. The two Maseratis battled for top spot with Bobbi/Gardel’s 550 Maranello throughout, with the 575 GTC of Babini/Morbidelli occasionally pressing.

Adopting the right race strategy was to prove fundamental in gaining a margin over the pack. The new Pirellis played a crucial role in this as they gave the MC12 drivers the chance to run two stints with the same set of tyres and at a consistently high rhythm. Not having to change the tyres meant that precious seconds were saved during the pit stop.

During the race, Bertolini was bumped by a Saleen but managed to maintain control of his MC12. Herbert, meanwhile, suffered a short-lived misfiring of his engine that saw him briefly concede first place to Salo. It was at this point that De Simone set off on an impossible comeback mission and the two Ferraris realised that victory was out of their grasp.

At the chequered flag Bertolini just edged out De Simone in a thrilling finish. The two MC12s then paraded side-by-side along the home straight and played out a grid start to salute the team gathered at the race wall.

Bobbi and Gardel in the 550 Maranello from Scuderia Italia ended the race in third.

2. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    If Maserati keeps beating Ferrari, Rob will never give us our own forum

3. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    The Ferrari only just lost, not by much ;)

4. MaseratiGuy

MaseratiGuy Rookie

Jul 3, 2004
    An inch or a mile, losing is losing!

5. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    i wonder...

MC12 is practically a rebodied Enzo, and put in various racing.
    Audi had their R8 (or whatever it is called) winning a few Le Mans... and then Bentley (speed 8...) took over the races... was their race car essentially another R8?... i dont really follow the races.

i mean, it is great for building up a brand..
    Excellent to build up the image.
    Now, get back to making the dealers knowledgeable on the products and improving the customer satisfaction.

6. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    When buying my MaseratiI I found the dealership very knowledgeable and was one of the best car buying experiences I ever had . Nothing like when I bought my M3 and the salesman was clueless to M cars. Luckily I was able to find out anything I needed on these kinds of forums.

7. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    scott,

apparently i did all the research, etc etc online and offline, know exactly what i want, but the salesperson was not knowledgeable on the QP and its options.

Screwed up 2 items, and was hiding it from me (he had the computer print out 2 months before delivery and he knew he screwed up), covered it up until the car got here. promised me something else in compensation and then screwed up once again. i am very surpised he doesn't learn.

for maserati NA, it is bad that they have these people trying to represent their brand.

8. teflon

teflon Formula Junior

May 16, 2003
    Full Name:
    Greg A
    Not cool.

Greg A

9. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    when did they broadcast the race?
    or you have it taped and haven't watch it?