Maserati Ghibli (1966 - 1973) | Page 108 | FerrariChat

Maserati Ghibli (1966 - 1973)

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by miuras, Feb 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Oh my!

Ivan

2. bobj123

bobj123 Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    The insulation on the grey wire going from the rear defrost switch to the warning light was burnt down to bare copper wire throughout its entire length (almost three feet). I don't know how this car didn't catch fire. Fortunately, I have a Fiat Spider parts car that I can canabalize to get many correct wire colours. The grey wire going to the silly floor mounted high beam switch looked like it came from a washing machine!

I couldn't wait for my ebay purchase to arrive so I went to Candian Tire and bought a wire tracer there. Within one minute I found the missing washer bottle wires! How did I ever live without this tool.

thecarnut and 71Satisfaction like this.
  3. bobj123

bobj123 Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    The wire colour codes in my car (chassis # 1550) have only a passing resemblance to the colour codes shown (for chassis # 1346) in the expanded wiring diagrams I bought from MIE. As a result, progress on my wiring issues has been painfully slow.

4. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
  5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  6. bobj123

bobj123 Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    More electrical issues. The DPO cut the red wire to the brake lights under the dashboard. I saw no sign of what wire it used to be connected to. I thought I'd start by finding the brake hydraulic switch that is supposed to be behind the left front wheel. No joy. The hydraulic switch is also not located in the vicinity of the brake master cylinder under the driver's side dashboard. Any idea where I can find the brake hydraulic switch?
    I sent my radiator to a local respected rad shop to be re-cored and new tanks constructed. That was last August. Sadly, I'm getting the run around from the rad shop. Any suggestions on a shop that can do a custom build of a Ghibli SS radiator? I'll get my rad back to use as a pattern.

7. Art H

Art H Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 15, 2014
    MIE has NOS RADIATORS

8. bobj123

bobj123 Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    Ill take a look at MIE. Thanks.

9. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The brake switch is located just above the clutch and brake master cylinders. Easiest way to reach it is by removing the left wheel cover panel. The switch is common with many British cars such as the Jaguar etype.

Ivan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. bobj123

bobj123 Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    Awesome! Many thanks for saving me a massive amount of time.

11. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Wondering what was the need to "upgrade" the engine from 4.7 to 4.9 during the restoration.
    Maybe one of the reasons, as for the "tan/black" interior, explaining the achieved price below the Mecum estimate of 200-225k...

12. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I've seen the black center console and dash on the very early Ghiblis regardless of the interior color. Also, notice the lack of hood scoops. Red is not the best color for a Ghibli.

Ivan

wbaeumer and Froggie like this.
  13. bobj123

bobj123 Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    I agree, "resale red" never helps a Ghibli achieve the best price.

Ivan, many thanks for helping me locate the brake light switch. I now have functioning brakes lights. While I was repairing the brake lights, I discovered a bare wire that goes to the brake pressure warning switch. The wire had been rubbing on the brake hydraulic lines. I'll be sorting that out this morning (lots of zip ties).

I'm close to resolving all the under dashboard electrical issues. Time to start looking at the dashboard top that was originally covered in mouse hair. I'm torn between using mouse hair again or going with alcantara. A friend of mine in the UK knows a place that still does mouse hair dash tops. I know alcantara can be cleaned if you are careful. Can mouse hair be cleaned without ruining the texture?

14. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
    Mouse hair is the correct material if you want to have it original - not alcantara. I use mousehair on my dash for more than 12 years - normal dust clean is no problem. If you have dirt stains or mechanical dmages, you need to replace it. when I restored my dash, I bought one mousehair for spare and keep it well stored. Alfred

15. bobj123

bobj123 Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    Who does mouse hair in North America?

16. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
  17. bobj123

bobj123 Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    Thanks, I'll take a look.

18. bobj123

bobj123 Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    I rewired my brake pressure warning switch. No joy, the warning light is always on despite having good brake pressure. It could be a frozen hydraulic switch or a bad brake fluid distribution block. Who makes the pressure warning switch? I can't seem to find the pressure warning switch on the parts diagram. Perhaps it was US only? Any suggestions?

19. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Refer to the photo on post 2685. Just above and to the left of the brake switch you should see two electrical wires. Disconnect one of the wires and see if the light goes out.

Please post a photo of what you refer to as the "warning light". My Ghibli has a light for the parking brake and perhaps the pressure switch is also connected to that light. Does your car have a dedicated warning light to indicate a pressure problem? I do not recall ever seeing one on a Ghibli.

Ivan

20. bobj123

bobj123 Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    I'm taking a friend to a medical appointment in Ottawa today. I'll post a picture tomorrow and explain how i wired the warning light.

21. bobj123

bobj123 Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    My friend was too sick to attend his medical appointment in Ottawa.

I wired the two conductors (white with black trace) coming out of the brake pressure switch such that one conductor goes directly to ground with a ring terminal secured by the bolt that holds the brake tube distribution block in place. The other white/black went through the clear plastic tube past the firewall and was connected to the pink wire in the terminal block that supplies the ground from the handbrake switch. I don't see another warning light in the speedometer or tachometer that provides a warning when brake pressure is lost. The handbrake warning light is bright enough to see in sunny conditions so I decided to pair the brake pressure and handbrake warning lights on the same circuit.
    When I disconnected my ring connector that provides the ground, the warning light remained on. When I removed the plastic two pin connector from the brake pressure switch, the warning light went off Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. bobj123

bobj123 Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    I removed the pressure warning switch today. Both pins are joined by a thin metal strip (see picture). This explains why my warning light was always on. The brass plunger has a distorted spring wrapped around it (see other picture). When the brass plunger is compressed it makes a connection with both metal pins that connect to the wiring clip. This setup doesn't make any sense to me. I would have thought that both pins would have been independent and that when brake pressure was lost the brass plunger would have released and closed the circuit between both pins resulting in ground being provided to the warning light. Image Unavailable, Please Login