Maserati Gran Sport or M6? | FerrariChat

Maserati Gran Sport or M6?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by F430SPIDERNJ, Feb 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F430SPIDERNJ

F430SPIDERNJ Rookie

Oct 15, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Louie Devito
    I'm looking for a everyday car to replace my Cayenne Turbo. It's either a 2006 Gran Sport or the new M6... Who has the Gran Sport out there? I will be putting between 10k - 15k miles per year on the car. Would love to get some thoughts on this.

2. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    How about throwing a new C4S into the mix?

3. Eau_Rouge

Eau_Rouge Karting

Feb 9, 2006
    Benelux / France
    The GS is a great car - the sound is wonderful and it is very comfortable for touring. In fact the sound is very similar to a Ferrari V8, only deeper. The Cambiocorsa gearbox is also a pleasure to use, and the car is desperately fast. The only negative aspect is how the rear suspension hangs quite low.

But, the new MC8 folding hardtop will be launched soon... maybe even next week at Geneva. So I'd wait a little. ;)

Compared to the M6, I prefer the GS as it offers more individuality and is more of a connoisseur's choice. You see so many BMW 6ers around, such a car is just not special IMO...

4. mak

mak Karting

Sep 29, 2004
    Live outside Zurich... being just a few hundred kilometers from both Porsche nr. Stuttgart and BMW in Munich means that there are zillions of these on the road and the M6 will go unnoticed in the tide of same-design-for-decades Porsches and Bangle mis-designs out there...

Have the GS - as w/e driver - and love it, always a treat and the most time I have a window open ;-)

If you have specific Q's (options, whatever) PM me.

BTW, there are quite a few GS owners over at http://www.************.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7 (was maseratiforum.net)

5. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    i love both cars, but im getting tired of the maser, i would go with the M6 with some DINAN options on there(you can get DINAN performance stuff at the dealers, and it doesn't rui tour warranty).

6. Ulmis

Ulmis Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2005
    what do you prefer ? superior acc times , or style ?

7. FerrariWA

FerrariWA Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2004
    Seattle/London
    Full Name:
    Thomas Summerfield
    Well do you want a car with soul and character, or a car that will ask you how long you want the license plate light to stay on after you have left the car?

8. F430SPIDERNJ

F430SPIDERNJ Rookie

Oct 15, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Louie Devito
    The thing I like about the M6 is that you can put miles on it and not take a beating. This will be my everday car until next winter and will be left at the airport, Yankee games and so on. So leaving a M6 is not that crazy compared to leaving the Maserati at this places and people thinking I'm nuts or just don't care about the car. I'm crazy about where I park. I only have 6k miles on my Bentley GT and it's a year old already. The Cayenne Turbo is great cause I say to myself yeah it cost over 100k, but it's still a truck so I don't mind leaving it at the airport for the weekend... I had a 2003 M3 with the SMG gearbox and I loved it! For some strange reason I traded it for a 2005 E55. One of the worst things I ever did! The E55 had no emotion. It was insane fast in a straight line, but not fun at all to drive.

9. Maseroche

Maseroche Karting

Aug 10, 2004
    Bahrain
    Full Name:
    Khalid
    Maserati is more beautiful but that M6 has power like you would not believe. A friend of mine owns one and the other day he was behind me. I was in the Coupe and we had a go at it since it was a deserted highway, at the time. I was ahead by a fender's length untill KM120. I though way to go! That thought didn't last long, he blew by me so fast that the M6 nearly peeled off the paint on my car!

Now I know that the GS is faster than my Coupe but the pace of the M6 is astounding.

10. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    Grand Sport......uhm is this thread still open ?

11. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    The M6 is simply ugly, bloated, asymmetrical, there's no other way to put it, and the Gran Sport is stunning (especially in pearl), a future classic.

On these grounds alone there is only one choice.

As far as speed is concerned the M6 was handily beaten by the 997 911S in the mountains. I would take the Gran Sport over both.

Forza,

Cavallini

12. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    have you seen the new M6 in person?

13. GSport

GSport Karting

Jan 27, 2005
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I own a gransport for 1 year now in pearl white. I love it. Put the stats aside, driving a gransport makes you feel like being in an exotic. The exhaust is amazing and the F1 box makes you feel like you are in a race car. Every time I get out of the car, it is an experience. I've driven the new M5 and the exhaust is muted, the interior is blah and even though it is fast it doesn't give you that exotic car feel. The SMG sux compared to the Cambriocorsa and at the end of the day, you are driving around in a suped up 5 series. If you want an every day driver, get a 7 series or an A8. If you want a sports car get the gransport.

14. VeloceManiac

VeloceManiac Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2006
    GO the Maserati Gran Sport, Chuck a Tubi or carillo system on with a bypass valve :).

E55 is an insane car, but german cars in general are a little boring, the italians are flamboyant and passionate.

MASERATI!

15. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

Yes I have. It's lines are still awkward like the original. It looks better than the original because it's so much beefier but it's still inelegant, ungainly, bloated.

It does, however, convey the message and intent of big engine and big speed.

Honestly, since Bangle and whoever else took over BMW's design, they haven't had a clean, crips design since the e46 M3. Some angles of the 7-series, a few front angles of the 5, the Z3 looks deeply confused, the new 3-series is better, I'll give them that. But the 6-series is just ugly. It looks bloated, the way MB's S-class used to look in the 90s.

The lone, shining, glaring exception was the Z8, which was designed by Henrik Fisker of DB9 fame.

Whatever it is that people see and like about the 6-series I'm simply blind to it.

But at the end of the day it's not sitting in my garage. LOL

Forza,

Cavallini

16. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

I must recant my previous statements about the entire BMW range being more or less ungainly.

The M5 is very, very sharp. I'd take it over the M6 every day of the week.

Forza,

Cavallini

17. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    According to German track tests, the GranSport handles very well on any type of circuit, but it loses to the M6 on lap times simply because of raw power (+107 HP for the M6!). However, handling on the curves the GranSport is equal, if not better, to the M6.

One other fact: in 1999, a BMW M5 and a Maserati 3200GT cost exactl the same money. People said the M5 was a better car, German quality, blah blah blah.

Now in 2006 I can find on the internet literally scores of M5s for prices ranging between 25'000 and 39'000 Swiss Francs. But I CANNOT find ANY Maserati 3200Gt's for less than 49'000 Sfr., regardless of mileage.

The current V10 M6 and M5 are destined to go the same way - sure they are beautiful pieces of technology, but deep down they are just mass-produced cars (BTW full of cheap plastic trim, which you won't find in a Maser). Which is why in 2010-2011 you'll find plenty of M5/M6s at 30-40'000 Sfr, but I bet you won't find any Gransport under double that amount.

So, GO FOR THE MASERATI. You won't regret it. And if you feel the need for more HP, go to tuners Leo Nardo for a cure that will up the power to about 440 HP, which should be enough to keep close to M6s even on the autobahn.

18. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    now that i think about it, i think i would go with the gransport instead. i just couldn't turn down an Italian sportcar like that. especially if i could put a tubi in there.

19. mak

mak Karting

Sep 29, 2004
    The GS from the factory already has a stock Tubi in it.

20. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Do market conditions concern you guys on the GS? Maser isn't exactly getting a lot of support from Fiat, right? If they bail on Maser in two or three years you're stuck with an orphan car.

Or, do you buy the car, and not sweat that kind of detail?

I've been offered a GS at a VERY ATTRACTIVE price. New, dealer car. He'd like me to own one for two reasons. He and I are friends, and he knows the GS will be my everyday car. He wants it on the street so people see it, and then come see him to get another one just like it.

I almost pulled the trigger 18 months ago on the Spyder, now I'm getting pulled towrds the GS. But, even with the deal I'm being offered, I don't really want to lose $2k a month on a car, and the instability of Fiat in the US market makes me a little twitchy.

Just looking for some insight.

DM

21. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    What kind of (dis)information do you guys get fed with in the USA??? Everywhere I read on US forums there are stories of doom and gloom over Maserati... excuse me, but it's just bull****. I have no idea how or where from this crap is spreading, but I've had enough.

Fiat is NOT going to bail out of Maserati.
    Maserati has sold more cars in 2005 than in ANY OTHER YEAR of its 91 year history.
    There are new models in the pipeline, ranging from an "entry level" Alfa-based Coupe to a 450HP V8 replacement for the current coupe/spider. At the moment they are prioritizing financial resources, which is why the new models aren't coming out so quickly. But I don't think Fiat want to throw away all these investments just because uninformed US internet chatters start spreading all this crap around... please stop with this unsubstantiated destructive publicity, it only hurts Maserati.

22. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Have you considered anger management class?

I posed a question, based on "information" that I wanted confirmation or denial on. What I got from you is a "RANT".

We don't get a lot of information here from the dealers. They are reluctant to "spill the beans". Maybe they just don't know what's really going on either. Maybe they do, but don't want to tell.

Maser doesn't get tons of mainstream press here either. It's not a Ferrari, or a Ford GT, so they run under the radar in most cases.

That leaves most of us with the internet for our info. The fact that used Maseratis sell for pennies on the dollar doesn't do much to reinforce a warm fuzzy feeling either.

So I sought information, you post conjecture. let me quote you again.

Can you tell us, what your source for this "information" is? Or is it just your best guess as to what will happen.

thanks,

DM

23. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    REALLY?!

24. mak

mak Karting

Sep 29, 2004
    Yep. Saying that their are more extreme exhausts out there but the factory-built Tubi (GS only, not available on Coupé) sounds great partic. in Sports mode.

25. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The Gransport is the stradale of Maserati's. To consider an M6 over one in my opinion is absurd. Go drive both is the only advice I can give you.