Maserati Gran Sport or M6? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Maserati Gran Sport or M6?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by F430SPIDERNJ, Feb 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    M6. I really do like the GS, but the M6 just seems better. I sat in one, really nice interior. But for almost 10k grand less? you can buy the M5. Four doors, same engine, better looking.

2. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    0-60 is bull, especially considering the Maser has to rely on the effectiveness of its Cambiocorsa system. Make them have a race from a roll etc, either way if im not mistaken, the GS traps higher quarter mile times, over 110mph for sure.

The M3 is a great machine, but a simple used Coupe is a very good bargain and makes the M3 seem kinda mundane in comparison, after all we are comparing an Italian powered V8 GT to a mass produced car on steroids, albeit a very good one at that.

3. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    NOt joking. Anyone considering a M6 or GS is way past the M3.

I'm currently considering an Aston V8, GS or 997 GTR RS, the M3 is nowhere in the picture. It's just not that exciting.

4. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    $110,000 compared to $50kish makes sense to me.

Just to verify, your comparison of the two cars consists of sitting in them, right?

5. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    GS is definitely closer to an M6 than an M3.
    and yes, many rich kids drive M3's around.

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Where the hell do you get THAT from?

I own an M3 and drive it every day. I've been into Algar, looking, driving and pricing the Maseratis.

My kids drive a Honda, not an M3.

I picked the M3 in 2004 over the Maserati Coupe based on the transmission, and frankly the price:value. I felt the cars were otherwise pretty much equal mechanically, but I found the cambio transmission to be harder to work with than the SMG III.

Why does ownership of the Maserati immediately promote you to some higher level of awareness, or make you "better" or more sophisticated?

THe GS is a great car, but, It's not a $110K+ car. It's a very refined sports coupe, but it's not a world beating supercar. And it's not the "adult" version of anything, it is a refined Italian car. I think at $85K, it would be a great car.

The snobbery associated here with this car kills me. Just because it costs a bunch more money, doen't make it inherently better than a BMW. Is the interior plusher? Does it run better, have fewer mechanical issues and have a smoother shifting transmission? Come with a better warranty?

Or is it a nice Italian car? One that most of you guys were previously *****ing about its bland nature, especially its style. JUST LIKE THE BMW your moaning about now.

I know I'm talking heresy here in the Maserati forum, for which I apologize, but sometimes you gotta take the blinders off.

dm

7. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    Dave, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that stuff. I agree with everything you just said. Hey, maybe I'm bias because I work at a BMW dealership.

And I can say this now that I have actually driven one, an M3 (E46) is not a car for kids. This car is powerful, too powerful for a kid. I used to want one, but after having seat time in one, it just isn't worth the risk. It is a great car, lots of fun, but no kid should ever own one. And now that BMW is dropping a V-8 into them, it will be even more powerful.

8. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Now because the M3 has similar performance to an the baby Aston, should it also be considered in the same league? obviously not, its a car that appeals to a different kind of buyer.

9. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Coming from an E46 M3 into a Maser.Coupe, I can tell you that they truly are leagues apart (with the exception of performance). How can anyone go back to an inline-6 after the glorious grumble of that V8 is beyond me.
    In retrospect, the M3 just can't match the personality of the Maserati. But all bets are off when the V8 version comes in a 2008.

10. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Is the Aston in the same league as the Maser? What's the pricing point on the Aston?

I think the Maserati and the M cars are pretty damn close. Certainly the Maserati is a prettier car, but I don't think it offers other huge advantages over the BMW.

I know doodly squat about the Aston, so I can't pass judgement there, but I'm guessing it's at a different price point completely.

dm

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The new M6 has a 507hp V10...and if it is anything like my V10 M5,and it is, it will be a blast and far superior to the Maserati coupe just as the M5 is far superior to the Maserati QP! I acknownelge that the Maseratis sound better than the M5 and M6, but the Bimmers' performance and SMGIII is so far ahead of the Maseratis that it isn't even close.

12. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You basically validate my point:

"I picked the M3 in 2004 over the Maserati Coupe based on the transmission, and frankly the price:value."

Which is that people considering a M6 or GS is MUCH LESS concern about VALUE.

It's a simple evolution for a pistonhead, start off with american iron japanese rice rocket, then move up to german machinery (porsches, bmws), then your career advances and attain higher income levels italian exotics are in consideration. We're not talking about which car is a better performer or bargain, just simple human nature that guys considering a M6 or GS DID NOT EVEN CONSIDER a M3. They may had consider a 997, SL or Corvette, but not M3, it's not in the same class of vehicle and I suspect they prefer not to be seen in one.

Are you saying that you pick a M3 over a GS at the same price? Who do you see driving M3's? 20 and 30 year olds right? And GS and M6? Typically mid 30s and over.

I am a major BMW fan (e9 3.0CSL, e21, e28, e30, e31, e34, e36, e39, e46etc) even owned an euro e36 M3 with M52 3.2 (321hp) euro engine. The current e46 M3 has basically the same engine with revised intakes, it was a fine driving car which I found quite boring to drive compared to porsches and italian machinery.

Again, guys considering an Aston V8 Vantage don't give a rats ass what a GS or M6 cost. Put it this way, even if you offer me a brand new M6 for 60k I would have no interest. It looks like a bloated leech sliding down the road.

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    And the new M3 will have a 400hp V8 which will make it even better!

14. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    I think they're cute

15. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Guys this opens up a whole new can of worms, and I don't know the answer. But, if you believe that you can compare a new z06 to a 430 then I don't see why you couldn't compare an M3 to an aston. But IMO comparing an M3 to anything more then a clk55 or a maserati is a strech. This is only because once you move up above those cars interiors become even better, use of composite materials is greater, and lastly the nameplate takes up most of the new price. This is one of the reasons I don't think you can compare an sl55 to a 360 spider even though the SL posts numbers equal to and better then a 360 in every stat. BTW Dave I agree with everything you said, but I still want one!
    Erik

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I disagree with what you opine that guys considering an AM care about. I just got back from the M Experience at the BMW factory in South Carolina. Everyone there was a new M5 owner and most of them also had a Ferrari, a Lambo or other exotic at home. Like me with my M5 and BB512i, they chose an M car for fun, fast and reliable daily transportation and have an exotic for weekend play time. I think you willfind that the more money you have the more careful you become with it. I know in my younger and poorer days I wasted a lot more money than I do now...

17. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

heres the doctor with his brilliant statements. BTW Evo just ran a comparison between the new QP GT, M5 and E55 around another track and the Maser and BM were dead even, the E55 being over a second slower. So your M5 is far superior in what way?

is it faster, no doubt
    does it handle better?, nope
    is it better looking, nope, pininfarina>bangle
    build quality, maser has better materials, better feel, bmw better assembly
    resale, so far maser very good, well see

now parfer, please explain to me how FAR superior it is.........

18. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I think both the new M6 and M5 look great...best looking cars in their respective classes. The Bangle design is perfect for those cars ...and if you look around you will see that other marques are now copying the Bangle innovative design cues just like they did previous BMW designs.

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I disagree. The BMW M5 build quality is much better than the QPs I test drove prior to my M5 purchase. And while the QP engine does sound better, it looks to much like a Buick to me whereas the Bangle innovative design of the M5 and M6 are wonderful to look at. As far as handling is concerned, I just got back from the M Experience and several of the instructors there had driven both the QP and M5 at VIR and said that the M5 handled much better and they were able to get faster lap times with the M5. Of course their skills are far superior to mine so I can not say which car I would be faster in?

20. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

which validates my point. I'm considering a GS right now, have a great offer from Algar to buy one. BUT, I'm still concerned with price. IF I had no concern for price, I'd buy the year old 360 sitting next to it on the showroom floor.

Do you buy everything based on snob appeal? 'cause you sure come off as an elitist.

THEY AREN'T THE SAME PRICE, if both were $55K, I'd hop in the Maserati in a NY minute.

I drive a fine Italian machine, have owned several Porsches, might even pick the current Porsche over the Maserati, and don't care if the BMW is a "KIDS CAR". It's a great drive, I enjoy it, and I really don't give a rat's ass what anyone else thinks when they see a 50 yr. old driving it.

I don't like the M6 either, and don't want a 4 door performance car, hence no M5 in the driveway.

21. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

I guess you having baught a german car hasnt made you all that objective. How can the Maser lap as fast on both occasions? how does it handle much better? Even Evos latest article where the 612Scag lapped almost 2 seconds faster than the M6, they described the M6 as not as direct and precise as ba se model 612, no HGTC package where the Maser shares the same chassis dynamics as the 612 where the engine is placed far back.

months ago you were debating over the QP so much, now you just dismiss it is being an insignificant italian car that cant hold a candle to an M5, wierd eh?

22. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Come on guys, at this level it really doesn't matter which is the better car, it's all subjective. And given how far performance levels have reach, does that few tenths of a second matter?

Parker- about time you stop bashing the Maseratis just for the sake of reinforcing your BMW choice. According to you it was the limited rear seats that held you back from choosing the QP, so you could had easily been in the Qp camp.

Yes, we all know the M3, M5, M6 are great performers, but guys on this board and especially this category don't give a crap. Great performer for value? Go buy a trick dodge neon. Btw, the Evo review placed the CLS 55 ahead of both M5 and QP which I agree with.

23. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I have never bashed the QP...I almost bought one. The small rear seats in the QP were a factor...but my need for a reliable daily driver that I could drive 110k miles or so in the next 5-6 years was the also an important issue...and I am just more confident in the M5 since I drove my former 2000 e39 M5 111,000 miles in 6 years without a single break-down...I fear such reliability will not be the same in a QP...or any Italian car for that matter. And, you have to admit that the QP looks a little like a Buick...and several magazine tests have said the same thing. If I were buying another toy like my Boxer, another Italian car may win out, after all, I have owned 8 Italian cars before including 6 Ferraris. But, as a daily driver 4 door sedan...the German car wins every time IMHO...and with BMW footing the bill for ALL service including 'tune-ups', brakes, clutch...everthing but gas and tires for the first 50k miles that is even another strong incentive.

24. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Dave,
    Again I am with you 10X on the maserati(esp. the yellow GS algar has/had), but the depriciation is the main concern. That is what is keeping my dad from buying a q-port(test drove it 5 times already). Dave, my cousin ABOUT 15 MONTHS ago bought an 02 coupe from Algar for less then $50k with only 9k on the car. So, if you DRIVE the car you are ****ed. I don't even want to guess the local doctor with the silver coupe with 47k on the clock is worth now :(. That is what scares me, and my father most. You see cars with almost no miles that dropped big time. Keep me posted. Also, guys at the reading ferrari show the parking lot had more M3's then any other car, and it is pretty much a show for ferrari owners only. draw your own conclusions.
    Erik