Maserati QP-great car, but I'm disappointed! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Maserati QP-great car, but I'm disappointed!

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by parkerfe, Dec 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    There is DEFINITELY a difference. In the back of a S500, three people (19, 15, & 14 y/o) can site comfortably but not when I went to test drive the QP.

2. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If 5 person comfort is what you're after then get a BMW 5/7 series or MB S class, otherwise, there is a reason behind the beauty of the QP.

Could it be possible that Maserati did not want a family image sedan and prefer a sporty executive theme.

3. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Neither a 7 or an S will sit 5 in "comfort". They are all designed as 4 seaters, but equipped to handle 5 on occaision.

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    well i will have to agree with parker on this issue. i too have 3 children and have been eyeing the qp. i used to have an m5 and they all fit fine. i now have an s benz and they all fit fine. i would love to have the new m5 but that thing is so ugly that i cant do it. so the qp would seem to be an alternative. however, i have not taken it for a drive, just oggled it at the dealer. my biggest question was whether i would like the tranny, but if the size is an issue, i may not bother figuring it out. also the trunk space of 15 cubic feet seems way smaller than what the benz or m5 are, and this might be an issue, even if you only have 2 people riding in it (and one of them is my wife) then the luggage is going to take up more than 15 cubic feet.....

another car that is on the scope is the cls. i saw one the other day and it looks great. i have not seen any tests yet though.

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    ross, don't even bother test driving the QP. Even if three children could fit in the back seat ,which they can't, the trunk is a joke. The trunk in my ex-M3 had more room. But, I do like the looks, sound and even the semi-auto trans of the QP. I am warming up a little to the new 5 series rear end and may just go ahead put a deposit on a new M5 now for a Summer 2005 delievery.

6. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    holy cow, give it a rest man... If you don't like something for whatever reason, don't buy it.... It's as simple as that.. Apparently you are a BMW loyalist, there's nothing wrong with that... Put yourself on the waiting list for the E60 M5 and be done with it already...

7. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Kenny-Totally agreed

It's like saying the new 612 is a bad car because it does not fit four as nice as a MB CL or new BMW 6 series.

The QP is what it is! A fast sporty stylish executive sedan. Now if it did not deliver on the performance or looks area then those are more valid reasons to knock it.

8. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you guys dont get it. parker (and to an extent myself) are not knocking the qp for everybody. it is a great car, no doubt. it just is not the right car for frank's purposes. he makes that plain, and explains what his purposes are. he was disappointed (as was i) that the italian answer to mercedes and bmw is unfortunately lacking in some of the things that he requires in a four door sedan, namely that it seats his particular 5 people, and that it carries his luggage. this is not an apples to oranges comparison, it is a function within form comparison.

the qp is great, and if i wanted a car that only really adequately seated 4.5 people, and never needed to carry more than 15 cubic feet of stuff, then it would be perfect.
    but i need to carry 5, and load more like 25cubic feet of stuff.
    so i will look elsewhere, unfortunately.

btw, i also like the scaglietti (after originally hating it), and think it seats 4 people just fine ;)

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Luggage? I thought you guy's used The Shooting Brake for luggage...

10. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    quite right jim, when i am seriously hauling stuff around along with kids i use the mercedes station wagon, best payload for the footprint. now if maserati wanted to make an 'estate car' that could get interesting....

11. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    An S500 is not bad. It handles 5 people pretty well. It is not ULTRA ROOMY but it is nicer than the Maserati. I wish the Maserati had the same amount of room.

12. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    I did not even know about the trunk. Wow. I can not believe they made so many things small in this car. Darn shame. I loved that car. My main concerns were the back seat and bringing the car in for service and not getting a rental.

13. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    You want something with the looks and performance of an M5, QP, E55, XJR, RS6 etc right?

You want to be able to carry 5 people comfortably, right?

The RS6 has as much room in back as the M5, so what is it a challenge of, ergonomics? Never played Tetris with children before?

You want to store 25 cu ft of luggage. Wait, what? In a sedan? Hope you have a luggage rack.

What we are trying to say is that your expectations are unrealistic.

S6 Avant
    Porsche Cayenne Sport or Turbo.

Its a SHORT list, fellas.

14. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    i can imagine some of the maserati engineers in italy reading this thread and go:

"No no no... we got 47:53 weight distribution on this fabulous sedan and the americans want to load 3 kids in the back and 25 cu ft of luggage in the trunk? no no no.."

15. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you are right that my desire to put more than 15 cubic feet in back is probably unrealistic. so i will forget that. but the other stuff is still valid. i also thought about the audi. do the still make an rs8?

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I suspect Maserati may be fibbing if they claim that the QP has 15 cu.ft. of trunk room. The OM on my M5 says it only has 11.1 cu.ft. trunk and I had my M5 right next to the QP and the QP trunk was clearly smaller.

17. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    there was never an rs8. you mean rs6? you can possibly find some used ones (2003 US models, 2004 Canadian models).

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ross
    The RS6 is about as good as it gets. VERY FAST. Drives well. Only thing I didn't like was the nav system.
    You may also want to check out the Cayenne Turbo. My wife's is super. A wonderful vehicle for hauling 5 plus luggage and if you have to drive to Dakar this puppy will make it.
    Her's has 36K miles with NO problems.
    Best

19. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    there was an S8 but no longer, the new A8L 6.0 will replace it i think.
    i just went through this, looking at everything MB, Maserati, Jag, BMW and the Maybach. ended up ordering a A8L it was the largest sedan i could find only exception being the maybach. the quattro drive is great since i go up to Taho and Mammoth every winter. for a big car the aluminum construction makes it feel lighter than it is and the handeling is superp. even with only the 300 or so HP it has it feels like more. the trunk space is suprisingly large don't 'have the specs but it holds ALOT.

20. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    As it is only my wife and I right now, the back seat issue shouldn't be a big deal. I saw three of them on the road in Tokyo this week, great looking car. Plan on test driving one when I get back to the states as a daily driver (back up plan is a W140 S600). The Maser just looks better.

21. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Kewpie, I suspect that due to the Maserati engineers saying "no,no,no" to American's need for a little more back seat room, their target customers, i.e. S class and 7 series buyers, will be saying no,no,no to buying them. Americans are different than the rest of the world. While we will tolerate the oddities of a two seater exotic such as a Ferrari or Lambo, we won't in a mid-tier sports car or upscale sedan such as the Maserati coupe', spider or QP. Right now Maserati is getting most of it's buyers from current or former Ferrari owners and the odd curious buyer. That will not be enough to sustain it's presence in the USA , especially with Ferrari's and Fiat's current financial crisis along with the large drop in the value of the dollar against the euro . Maserati is going to have to figure out how to drop the cost of their entire line or suffer the fate of the bi-turbo days...it ain't pretty.

22. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Hopefully the 4.2L V8 will be a little more reliable than the turbocharged POS...

23. McNab

McNab Rookie

Dec 8, 2004
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian Stewart
    Originally posted by parkerfe
    I don't think Americans are quite as different as you think! Clearly you enjoy a very much higher standard of living but, taking Europeans as an example, only a small minority appreciate the virtues of performance cars. Unfortunately there is an ever-increasing 'poseur' segment in the richer parts of the world, but they soon tire of their toys and revert to the more conventional automobile.

I understand your annoyance over the implication that the QP seats five, but surely this is down to the prevalent philosophy of convenient marketing, plus degradation of the English language? Thirty years ago the term would have been "Occasional Five", but alas such subtle nuances have disappeared. The simple fact of the matter is that the centre back seat must be something of a compromise where intrusion of the drive train is a factor (due to lower ride height than you might find on a conventional sedan).

In any event Maserati would not expect their customers to buy the car for the conveyance of an entire family; the QP is after all aimed at the enthusiast sector of the market where such considerations carry little weight. I offer you two suggestions: buy a pair of enjoyable 2+2s and take both of them with you when you travel 'en famille'. My wife and I have always found it a useful bonus to have two cars at our disposal when we reach our destination. Altenatively, as others have suggested, take a long hard look at the Cayenne Turbo. It is a magnificent machine, and would meet your needs to perfection.

As to price and Maserati's future, I think you probably do point up the 'American difference' because we in Europe look upon their products as something of a bargain - certainly where the Coupe and GranSport are concerned. Having never bought or even considered a four door sedan in my life I am in no position to pontificate on that subject! I would ask, however, that you elaborate upon your assessment of the Fiat empire's financial prospects under the guidance of Luca di Montezemolo. Your detailed views would be extremely interesting.

24. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The financial crisis of the entire Fiat empire including Ferrari is well documented in numerous publications I have read. Most recently in the Ferrari Market Letter thaere was an article about waht Luca planned to do to get Fiat and Ferrari out of the red. This will now be a more difficult problem with the loss of the dollar to the euro, at least as far as Ferrrai and Maserati are concerned; since the USA is their major intended market.

25. McNab

McNab Rookie

Dec 8, 2004
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian Stewart