Massini Report (275 GTB/4 09413) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Massini Report (275 GTB/4 09413)

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by runflat, Oct 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Exactly. Mr Massini seems very willing to share and clarify information on this forum and if I were doing my due diligence on a $300,000 car, let alone a + $3MM car, I would have attempted to get clarification from him directly. Anyone who was concerned about this and didn't reach out, could not have been that serious about bidding.

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #52 El Wayne, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Oh that GTB! Marcel thanks for the reminder about C&D for October 1967. It seems 0-60 MPH took 6.2 seconds and the brakes didn't inspire confidence. There isn't a straight line, or two mirror-image planes on the whole car! $14,680 for 2663 pounds and C&D still loved it...

4. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    For me it is a clear case: interno is mentioned twice on those documents. On both occurrences the "ends" on number 3 are clipped at exactly the same point which also matches all other number 3s on those documents. The chances that both would be number 8s that have exactly the same piece missing while no other number 8 on those documents does not, would occur with probabilty of 1 against a-very-very-big-number. Then you can add that 1876/64 unlikely existed before 17th March 1969 when the engine swap is said to have taken place.

5. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Real knowledge and in depth understanding. Thanks for the analysis!

6. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    My advice: nobody. The only way to steer clear of religion is to find publicly available sources that confirm made claims.

7. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Kare,

let me add a small correction:

not: "modification" (modificata).

but i think you mean "modification" (modifica) ?

Carissimi saluti
    Ben

8. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Yep, Italian is a peculiar language; the only one in the world you can speak without really knowing much about it, I think.

9. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Compliments for the excellent language skills.

Anyway please bear in mind in the 50ies and 60ies some phrases and words (such as some found on the mentioned sheets) were used which later were not so much in use anymore.

Carissimi saluti
    Ben

10. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Best thread in Vintage in a long time. Thank you all for the fun read!

Regards,

Art S.

11. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #61 Terra, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    On the top-middle of the Dyno page (REALAZIONE SALA PROVA), it sure looks much more like an "8" than a "3."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #62 BBBBBBB, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    please we shall not forget the date all these documents were done, after Xmas and just before New Year, that is not the typical working days in Italys 60ies...i dont want to know which time of the day and after how many glasses of vino, grappa & co...they all were done.

I am really highly impressed by the superb quality of the information and data given here in this thread and in many other occasions by Sir Marcel M.: biiiiiiiiig compliments, just my personal comment.

Carissimi saluti
    Ben

13. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    +1 :)

14. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    In support, I have to say some of these so called "heavy hitters" expect us to do all the work and give them the benefit of our years of dedicated research as their inalienable right, just because they are "potential" buyers. Speaking personally, having tried to conclude the sale of a certified alloy 6 carb 275GTB that does not have a Massini Report, the buyer declined the opportunity to acquire that additional information. There was confusion about it being a 3 carb or 6 carb, despite the buyer having a copy of the Classiche. I'm amazed the number of people contemplating multi million dollar deals who are mean enough not to pay for archival research that might enhance the value of THEIR investment. If Rick (or his consignor) didn't have that information pre auction then of course he's debating on the back foot.

15. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    In my opinion we should all be incredibly thankful that Marcel is willing to share his hard work with us. He has spent the better part of a lifetime collecting and documenting these wonderful cars. He then provides all of us with invaluable information about our cars. On a personal note he's provided me with information about my four Ferrari's and has never asked for anything in return. That's pretty unusual in the field that we all enjoy.

16. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Car and Driver prep ...?

17. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Still, spill a box of Ferrari toothpicks on the floor - who're you going to for an accurate count?!

18. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    The Chinese manufacturer maybe? I presume all Ferrari merchandise comes from China these day...

19. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Yes, of course it's a 2 way thing, I try not to ask things of MM unless I have something to share in return.

20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Anything but prep. No F60 polyglas tires on this one.

The design may have been wonderful but the execution was anything but. As others have noted like many coachbuilt Ferrari models the body is seldom symmetrical. This car simply continued a tradition of poor build quality that was an ongoing problem. Going back to 06437 it had a roof that leaned to the right and was almost an inch lower on that side. Maybe it was just the Italian way of giving extra headroom for the driver...
    It is ironic that buyers quibble about work performed on the car before it was sold yet will accept modifying the body later on to make the car look more perfect.

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I believe that the $64,000 Car and Driver 4cam was s/n 10245.

22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005

23. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    +1. Marcel has done the job he was commissioned to do, properly.

24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    What, if anything, would the 09713 Build/Assembly Sheets, Classiche Report and Massini Report say about the replaced 09413 engine, 1376/64 (or 1876/64)? Would there be any mention that it was previously in 09413 or another car?

25. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I agree! Thanks, Marcel.