Massive Vintage Engine on Dyno | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Massive Vintage Engine on Dyno

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Jan 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I agree, and maybe even more with modern pistons, Carillo rods, etc....I don't know excatly what Jim did as far as "modernizing" during the rebuild...

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    No nothing like that. We kept her totally stock with original internals. Should begin running her in on monday. We even run her on low octane fuel.

Best

3. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Hi Jim,

Very interested to hear the results.

My 1949 Maserati has an in-line 6 with 1488cc. Its a left over pre-war supercharged engine without the supercharger and it uses three 32mm Webers with 7.0:1 pistons.

Maserati claimed 100bhp at 5700rpm. Reality is something closer 90bhp.

The car weighs in at almost exactly 2000lbs dry and with some very clean period aerodynamics is good for just over 150kmp or a tad over 100mph on the long straits.

I remember 01C/010I made 120bhp real bhp on the rolling dyno at the rear wheels before I ran it in the Mille Miglia in 1997.

After Ferrari switched to better bearings the engines became super reliable. Prior to that, engine life was measured in single races and the drivers were cautioned not even to practice in the car's prior to a race as the engine would not finish a full event and a practice.

I would bet you will see something right around 130bhp just over 6000rpm.

These little motors will easily spin to well over 7000rpm but engine life shortens up considerbly and the torque curve falls off fast over 6000rpm.

Good luck!

Bill

4. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    That means something around 155 at the flywheel; surprising if the motor had "stock" internals.

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #30 Napolis, Jan 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #31 Napolis, Jan 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Amazing photos James, thank you for posting.

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Truly wonderful; many thanks

9. Michael Muller

Michael Muller Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    Topic fuel:

The octane rating of the fuel has no direct influence at all on the power output, only indirectly by changing engine parameters. The higher the octane rating, the higher the possible compression ratio or supercharger pressure. If you have an engine designed for RON 90 fuel, and you use RON 85, it will knock. To prevent this you either have to change ignition timing or reduce compression, both will result in a loss of power output. If you use RON 95 nothing will happen at all. Earlier ignition point will only give positive result if the engine is NOT designed for RON 90 but for a higher octane gasoline. Using high-octane fuel will only improve power if compression is increased and/or cam angles changed.

Pre-war and early post-war cars are designed for RON 80 fuel (or in US terms 75, which is R plus M over 2), they can be fed with any gasoline commercially available today without any positive or negative effects. And those who really believe in the lubricating effect of TEL may add MMT.

Pure racing engines, especially supercharged ones, are different, as oxygenates (alcohols) played a major role in the period fuel. Has to do not only with octanes, but also with internal combustion cooling, would be too technical.

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Michael

I generally agree with what you've written but MotorKraft discovered an interesting thing. Some class of truck racing limits compression to 9 to 1 and those engines made more HP on pump gas than they did on racing fuel.
    Very high octane racing fuel may have components that low compression engines don't like.

Best

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  12. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    "Racing fuel" is no clear description, a chemical component analysis would be required. There are 2 types of octane increasing items - additives and components. Additives basically are organo-metallics, like TEL (banned), MMT (under heavy discussion), and Ferrocene (too much disadvantages). Components are basically either oxygenates (alcohols, ethers) or aromatics. Oxygenate molecules - as the name says - contain oxygen, so the Lambda value (relation between fuel and air) must be corrected. In other words, due to the oxygen in the fuel the oxygen-containing air must be reduced. Additionally the calorific value of oxygenates is lower than that of hydrocarbons, that of Methanol e.g. is about 50 % only. Contrary to oxygenates the aromatics have rather high calorific value, and also high density. All these properties must be exactly calculated when using racing fuel correctly.
    Standard pump gas more or less is ideal for a compression ratio of 9:1, if then race fuel with high oxygenate content is used the Lambda value is incorrect. And in case of high aromatic content, the mixture may be too fat. Both will have negative influence on the fuel performance.

13. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Thanks for very interesting post! Race gas was Sunoco 114 octane.

Best

14. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    Heavy stuff!! With normal component blending the border line is somewhere in the range of 100-102, unleaded of course. 114 means for sure a lot of "aliens" in the brew which in fact may have negative effects on standard engines. Some wild guesses - Nitromethane or Nitrobenzene, Acetone, Naphthalene, Methanol, who knows?

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Thanks! Another problem with fuels that contain "aliens" is that they attack safety fuel bladders such as the one we built into the new fuel tank.

Best

16. Michael Muller

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    You can bet on this!
    The "fuel" which has been used by Mercedes-Benz in the 30's was so agressive that it could not be left in the cars between the races. The complete system was emptied and flushed with standard gasoline immediately after the races.

17. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Part of the probelm is that there are "aliens" in every day US pump gas. I have had a few 50s and 60s cars on which I have rebuilt the carbs, clean out the fuel lines and alos the tank, and 5 or so years later, little pieces of rubber-like material start clogging up the jets again...

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Stu this is very true. We've taken to using the same fuel lines that are used in IRL's car for that reason. It's the only thing we've found to hold up.

19. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Interesting Jim - what is the name of the fuel line material? Just thinking ahead for my '57 Century...

Cheers
    Kevin

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Hey

When I speak to Sal I'll find out. We buy it in Indy and sleeve it in Black shrink rap so it looks period.

Best

21. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks - I need to upgrade my fuel delivery system in that car as it vaporlocked on me the other day, but I don't want to pressurize the stock lines in that car. Shrink wrap is a great idea to keep it looking correct-ish and I drive it not show it so a little deviation is OK.

Cheers
    Kevin

22. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The IRL line we use is probably too much for your use. It's FI line designed to run at very high PSI. We use it in 0846 which runs at 135 PSI. I'd give Summit a call and speak to their tech people for lower psi Carb line that can hold up to today's ethanol laden fuel.

This also looks good.

http://www.paragonperformance.com/fuel%20line%20hose.html

Best

23. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

The problem is not just the fuel lines; some carbs have rubber or plastic components that "melt" over time. Some 50s and 60s Alfas also use the vacuum system for the carb secondaries as a brake boost system, and eventually brake fluid gets sucked into the carbs, also "melting" parts :(

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    We've not yet had problems with Webbers on 412/166/or Lola. Others? On the Lola we use Earl's lines and fittings. Hollys on Ford are fine as well. Ford uses Aeroquip fuel lines.

Best

25. nunzio828

nunzio828 Karting
    Honorary

Jun 11, 2004
    Full Name:
    mikey
    mr g
    my experience on the fuel bladders runs parallel to the manufacturers recommendations
    example
    fuel bladders such as the ones ATL make over in Ramsey NJ. are only warranted for 5 years.
    as such it would be best to change them at that time
    prior to a forced check of the fire out system !!!
    i have had far too many moments with fires and 118 octane race fuel
    remember safety safety safety