Max Verstappen | Page 123 | FerrariChat

Max Verstappen

Discussion in 'F1' started by CRG125, Aug 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    To me there should be some sort of statute of limitations in place. I don't think it's right to penalize a driver or team for things they did in the past. Like Mohammed said, there was opportunity for someone to raise a stink, and apparently nobody did. So in my eyes, what's done is done.

cmos, william and Bas like this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yup, I don't see what can be done. Nullify the results (won't be very popular quite quickly this).

On the flip side, if they do nullify the result of a race where cheating played it's part, I bet Massa can't wait to be told he's WDC, albeit it 14 years later. :p

(**** me, 14 years?! Feels like last week I watched that race...)

3. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    Exactly. It would open the books for many results to be changed.

Bas likes this.
  4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Any and all loss of grip would be investigated then. :rolleyes:

Bas likes this.
  5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    A.K.A. the Rat.

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Perhaps if RB used their reserve driver for this weeks race, Max might learn a thing or two about team orders.

7. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

15 wins in a season.

This kid has potential

jpalmito, werewolf, st@ven and 3 others like this.
  8. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    And max basically won 15 on merits. Contrary to the MB dominated period where in many occasions the nr 2 mb driver was specifically asked to let the prima Donna pass.

I think there is truly a big difference in the way max made his wins, compare to quite a few of the lulu victories

9. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Highest paid F1 drivers for 2022 (Forbes)

1) Max with $60 million
    2) Lewis with $55 million
    3) Alonso with $30 million
    4) Perez with $26 million
    5) Leclerc with $23 million

absostone and Bas like this.
  10. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    Perez $26m?? Are these figures including their sponsorship deals and such, or is it only their salary from the team?

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Just salary from the team, not personal endorsements.

I do find them odd at times as the same publications often produce a ''net worth'' estimate about said drivers, but it's always off by huge amounts even from their own given figures over the past few years. Do they apply the taxes to it (that no F1 driver pays since the majority live in either Monaco or Switzerland with local tax deal)?

Max's base alone is €45m and Red Bull pays very high bonus as well, 50k per point and another million per win on top of that.

12. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    I didn't know that about the bonuses. Perez earning $26m might now make Ricciardo a better value. No way he is keeping his McLaren salary.

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    26-30 or so with win bonuses for Perez makes sense, with 305 points scored and 2 wins. In bonus' alone he'd have made around 17 million.

14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Something don't add up, according to post #3061 that says each point is worth 50K (€ or $ ?)

1) If Max basic "wage" is $45M, and he receives $1M per win, that makes $60M as quoted.
    But where is his points bonus gone? 454 points at 50K each is $22.7

same for Checo.
    2) $26M with 2 wins makes sense: $24 basic +$2M
    But Checo also got 305 points at 50K each; that is $17.25M. Where are they in these figures?

15. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Honda gifts Max a $175k Acura NSX Type S for winning the 2022 season.

Bas and absostone like this.
  16. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Max is correct! - https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/97005/max-verstappen-red-bull-street-circuit-verdict/

Verstappen delivers damning street track verdict
    Sam Hall
    Monday 28 November 2022 10:42

Max Verstappen has delivered a damning verdict on F1's street tracks as the number continues to grow on the sport's calendar.

Street circuits have always been a novelty on the F1 schedule, with the close barriers providing a greater challenge to drivers than other venues that feature swathes of asphalt run-off.

But while Monaco was alone as a pure street course for a period, the 2023 calendar also features road layouts in Saudi Arabia, Azerbaijan, Singapore and Las Vegas.

In addition, there is Miami, where the track is designed to have a street-course feel, and Australia and Canada, with Albert Park and the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve venues also in this category.

But Verstappen would rather F1 pursue purpose-built facilities rather than venture into a city.

Asked for his opinion on street tracks, the two-time champion told Formule1.nl, “Formula 1 cars are really not made for that.

"I don't like street circuits at all anymore. Certainly not with the even bigger and heavier new generation of cars.

“It was still manageable with the old cars, but now…

“In Monaco and Singapore, I was very disappointed with how the new cars took to the streets. [They were] too heavy, too stiff, you can't take kerbs with it anymore.

"The cars just aren't built for [this]. Street circuits are fun for pictures, but not for racing.”

william likes this.
  17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Shrink the cars, lower the weight. Fun returns.

18. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    I support that fully, though for the drivers I think the cars being so stiff really make for a crappy experience on the unavoidably bumpy surfaces.

But Max is right, street circuits suck. Quite frankly, Monaco is one of the worst. There are so many good tracks in the world but they because they won't pony up $40-50m a year, F1 won't even consider them.

william likes this.
  19. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I like Baku. That street circuit never disappoints.

Bas and SS454 like this.
  20. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    For the most part so do I. It's a set up challenge between the 90 degree corners that want max downforce, vs the extremely long "straight" that would want Monza levels of downforce. Plus there is elevation change which is nice. Like you said, entertaining races.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I really love Monaco, but in these cars it's ****...but I'm against dropping it because I can't see it ever return if they return to smaller cars.

22. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The only benefit I see in street circuits in that they instantly penalise those who go off track limits.

Sloppy driving is rewarded by instant karma !! Crash, bang, wallop !!! Monaco is too narrow, IMO.

You are right about the good tracks though.

DF1 and SS454 like this.
  23. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    For a long time I thought I liked Monaco. It's certainly great to watch a quali lap from the onboard. But as for the races. Yuck. It takes some extraordinary circumstances, like a stuck wheel nut (bottas) to create excitement. There is almost no passing, there never really has been, and as you say the current cars are just wayyyy too big. For me, the best race was 2006 when Schumacher went from last place to 5th. Talk about an all time great Monaco drive that never gets mentioned.

william, NeuroBeaker and Bas like this.
  24. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Baku is pretty much the only street circuit that produces good racing in modern F1.

All the best,
    Andrew.

kes7u, DF1 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  25. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I don't completely disagree...for me quali is the coolest part of course, the cars there just look absolutely magic.

There is also no place to get closer to the cars than Monaco...