Max Verstappen | Page 33 | FerrariChat

Max Verstappen

Discussion in 'F1' started by CRG125, Aug 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Some young drivers explode on the scene with flashes of brilliance, but then quickly fade because they fail to mature into champions. "Good management" can't save them, it only can provide temporary damage control. Max could easily end up one of those drivers of immense talent but who makes bad choices about which team to put himself with. And good and bad luck will play its part. Max has a short window of opportunity in which to rise to the top or fall back into the pile...as do Ocon and Sainz. Riccardo has already spent his ambitious youth in uncompetitive cars. As has Alonzo and Kimi and Button (post championships) and Perez and Hulkenberg and others. Below these wannabes are the current never-wills...Bottas, Massa, Stroll, Vandoorne, and the drivers of Hass, Sauber, and Toro Rosso. For all his flash, Max still has a high mountain to climb.

moretti likes this.
  2. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Alonso rose to the top, and through bad choice and bad luck sank back into the pile. As always, being gifted and getting the chance to win are two different things. Massa was WDC, albeit for about 30 seconds ! Max is a GP winner - so some great first steps. Time will tell if that winning continues.

3. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    That's a pretty good assessment of this great talent.

Getting a competitive car early on gives some people false impressions of someone's talent

daytona355 likes this.
  4. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    What Max really needs is a good support system. Those around him need to help him become that WDC that he can be. If not, he may go the way of KVY. Papa Jos is always at his races, but how supportive is he when Max makes a foolish mistake?

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    He goes to bat on twitter and social media to claim why it wasn't max fault, and who is to blame, whether it be the stewards, another driver, the team, whoever he can. He is protective to the point of obsession about max career, and is probably as damaging as he is helpful when it comes down to it. Any team taking max on needs to be able to tune him out a little if max is to mature into a great champion, not just a spectacular driver, as he is following his dads example at the moment with his outbursts

moretti likes this.
  6. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven

Fortunately this does not apply for Verstappen as he started in a Toro Rosso and than already out qualified the big boys at RB several times, finished fourth two times (never repeated in a TR after he left)
    and drove Vettel and Raikonen already to insanity. ( meaning: he was able with is TR to interfere in there races)

He was promoted to a more competitive car because he shined. He did not shine because of being in a competitive car.

ypsilon likes this.
  7. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    So in his eyes, even when Max does wrong, Max can do no wrong? Oh boy, that is not good.

8. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I t
    I think with RB and his dad he could not wish for a better support system. And be convinced that if he does do stupid things Jos will be the first to tell him. As btw he regularly does. Same goes for the good Doctor.

9. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Certainly seems that way, he's always there, and every time max is in trouble, or amongst it, he's there telling everyone the odds. I never liked jos the driver, since then, his personality has been pretty well tested and proven to be a little too much for most, and now, I'm just waiting for him to start punching someone if they dare to disagree about max, he really is volatile (been in the pits with him, and seen some very heated moments with team personnel before)

moretti likes this.
  10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The worst type of dance mum there is. Living a life through the child they can only dream of. Sad.

moretti likes this.
  11. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    So now you are telling us that sometimes people have heated moments in the pits with team personnel? And you even witnessed that?? Really that would be something. Dzjeee!
    Clearly only someone terribly frustrated about something can write such nonsense to make his point. I'm pretty sure there will be heated discussions at every race.

12. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Yes Dance Mum syndrome is sad. But at least Jos was an F1 driver, and has the T-Shirt. Well he did have it, until it caught fire

daytona355 likes this.
  13. DF1

Ouch LOL :)

daytona355 likes this.
  14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Jos is a **** that's for sure. But he does speak the truth very often. That said some **** he'll always be biased on, same goes for all drivers' dads but few have a twitter account.

daytona355 likes this.
  15. DF1

+1

16. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    NOVEMBER 2, 2017

Red Bull is true top team for Verstappen

Max Verstappen's father is confident the 20-year-old has selected a true "top team" to race for through 2020.

The young Dutch sensation had been linked with potential moves to Mercedes or Ferrari, but instead extended his stay at Red Bull for the next three years.

And former F1 driver Jos Verstappen, Max's father and co-manager, said he is comfortable with that choice.

"The team has moved heaven and earth to become more competitive again," Verstappen told Ziggo Sport Totaal.

"When you look at the state of the car at the beginning of the season and how good it is now, that answers the question of what makes a top team," Jos added.

"And all the changes made fit wonderfully with Max's driving style, which is noticeable on the stopwatch," he said.

Verstappen snr, who raced for teams including Benetton and Minardi, also thinks Max can end the 2017 season on a high.

"In Brazil we hope for a little rain," he smiled, "and then Max can show what he can do, as he managed last year.

"I guess in qualifying the other top teams will be a little stronger, but in the race Red Bull should be able to keep up," said Jos.

17. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    You´re overreacting a bit here. Jos had a very big role in developing the talent that Max Verstappen is, as acknowledged by both Horner and Marko as well. It´s very natural in the big bad world of F1 that Jos with his knowledge and experience keeps an eye on things, on Max's development (Jos himself lacked that support during his career). Besides since Max joined RB he took a step back, he isn´t present at every race anymore.

st@ven and vinuneuro like this.
  18. DF1

Id rather see Max in battles. His point is understandable but depressing....

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/132811/verstappen-wants-to-dominate-not-battle-for-wins

Max Verstappen says he wants to turn Formula 1 grands prix into processions, suggesting dominating from the front is more appealing than having to fight hard for positions.

After controlling the Mexican Grand Prix from lap one and dominating to the extent that team principal Christian Horner reckoned he got "bored", Verstappen said he much prefers such races to those where he has had to pull off overtaking moves.

"Yes, because this is winning - and I think this is the most beautiful way of doing it," said Verstappen.

"Of course, overtaking is fun.

"But in recent years I've never been in a position that I could control races.

"But this is what I did in karting, actually, and in the end this is want you want to do.

"Overtaking is definitely nice, but to me it's not something that's necessary.

"Ultimately you want to win races like [Lewis] Hamilton and eventually win a championship."

Verstappen's three victories in F1 have all been achieved in different circumstances - with his maiden success in Spain last year coming after Nico Rosberg and Hamilton collided as they fought for the race lead, while in Malaysia this year he had to overtake Hamilton.

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes was disappointed by that too.

Even when I race simulators I want to really fight for a win, 10x more entertaining...whether it's attacking or defending. If I'm substantially faster than rest of the field I tend not skip qualifying and start from the back and try and get up front, much more fun that way.

DF1 and daytona355 like this.
  20. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    So jos confirmed what we all thought. It's not that Dan is getting slower, the car is being developed for max to suit his driving style.

crinoid and daytona355 like this.
  21. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Exit Rici.

22. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I've said it before.... I won't be surprised if Daniel leaves at the end of this year.

23. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Great !!!

Hello Ferrari :)

No more divided loyalties

24. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Bull bars being added ?? :p

25. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Max's True Top Team? If the new powerplant doesn't work as well next season, what are Jos and Max going to say then? RB just sewed Max up with a contract so he couldn't go anywhere else. He is the future and they didn't want him going to a competitor. I do hope he gets a good car next season, as a 3 way WDC challenge would be great entertainment and racing for us! Seb and Ham will really have to figure out how to deal with him.

daytona355 likes this.