Max Verstappen | Page 39 | FerrariChat

Max Verstappen

Discussion in 'F1' started by CRG125, Aug 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's the worst engine of the field. So no he should not have to thank Renault, since the only alternative is pushing. If he had a Ferrari or Mercedes engine he'd have won (and not started at the back)

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Not quite exact. The Renault power unit has won 11 races in almost 5 years (7 for Ricciardo 4 for Max).

Not in the same league as Mercedes and Ferrari, I agree, but far better than Honda that hasn't won anything in 4 years, not even got a podium, I believe..

Since Verstappen will be Honda-powered from next year, he may have time to look back on his criticism perhaps.

3. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Really odd to compare it that way, but whatever. Mclaren won **** all with the Mercedes engine when that was head and shoulders above the rest in 2014, so them not winning anything with Honda can't be completely blamed on Honda.

If we use your metric for how good an engine/car/driver is, Lance Stroll has to be a better driver than Alonso purely because last year, Stroll got more podiums and outscored Alonso.

The reason Red Bull started at the end of the grid today was because they inserted Renault's ''updated'' Spec 3 engine, which was so **** they had to revert to the old spec 2.

This Honda engine just now introduced is rumoured to be a real upgrade. Qualifying didn't tell us much as none of the Honda/Renault engined teams did all that much for strategic reasons, but from the laps they did do, the Honda outqualified all Renault engined teams bar the Red Bull.

4. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

My point is that Max Verstappen owes ALL his success in F1 to the Renault engine that powered his car.
    But he keep whinning about it.
    Verstappen has adopted the same line of thoughts as the Red Bull management.
    When success comes, it's thanks to them, but failure is always caused by their engine partner.
    I wish them good luck with Honda.

BTW, according to Abbiteboul (Renault CEO) , some of the problems Red Bull has with their engines is because they do not want to follow Renault's schedule re. components replacement.
    Red Bull prefers to make their own mix, sometime re-using components beyond their mileage limit, ending up with parts with various durability that affect the reliability of the power unit.
    The Renault engineers have repeatedly expressed concerns at these methods, only to be told they are not in charge at Red Bull !

6. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    No he doesn’t. He owes all his victories to Adrian Newey, who despite the huge handicap of Renault (lack of) power, managed to engineer the best chassIs on the grid and generate race win opportunities.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    So, you think the engine counts for nothing ?

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    THAT engine counts for nothing. It's the slowest on the grid. So it's a massive disadvantage. I can't understand how you do not see that.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  9. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    no, not if it has a tag-heuer badge. But more general, yes, the engine counts for 80% at least. That is the sole reason mediocre teams like sauber and haas are where they are.

I truly think the engine is the decisive factor and aero is only 20% So no, Max owes Renault nothing as if it was the least powerfull and least reliable one in the field.

10. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    The Renault is the worst engine in the field. If Adrian Newey wasn't designing their cars, Max would be further back on the grid with the Renault factory team.

11. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Verstappen also owes his victories to his talent in being able to conserve his tyres better than Ricciardo.
    While still being quicker

kraftwerk likes this.
  12. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Another solid drive from Max in Japan.

He's maturing quicker than I expected !

kraftwerk likes this.
  13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

For all its faults, the Renault engine did propell Max to his successes in F1; all of them !!!

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

A few years back, if Renault hadn't accepted to renew ts contract with that team, they would have been no Red Bull on the grid.

Both Ferrari and Mercedes categorically refused to suply them when Marko went begging !!

Red Bull's participation Under the hybrid formula has been thanks to Renault; people shouldn't forget that!

15. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Yes, and it also propelled him to out qualify Ricciardo at most circuits.
    And Ricciardo is FAST !!

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If the association with Honda works and delivers a good car, I still cannot see Vertappen assuming fully the role of team leader at Red Bull.
    He is fast, but too immature and drives erratically too often to become a WDC, IMO. .

17. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Of course it is thanks to Renault, without that engine there would have been no Red Bull since 2017...
    And it is also thanks to Newey for designing that car, without Newey they would not have been this far up front.
    The Renault team themselves are midfield, so that is the best comparison for the engine and car.
    A driver you can only compare to his team mate.
    And we all can see who is the faster of the two Red Bull men, the standings as well as the qualifyings are clear.

18. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    To be honest about Vettel, while being more mature (in age at least), he makes a lot of unnecessary mistakes/judgements. I do not see Kimi do those same things (like trying to ram Hamilton of the track -Bakoe 2017 or desparate passing actions like yesterday's)

kraftwerk and william like this.
  19. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY

What amazes me is everyone that thinks Max is the best thing on the grid, yet Daniel has beaten him every season. Even now with 6 retirements to 4, he's only 30 points behind with all the crap luck he's been getting lately.

jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  20. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    He (DR) beat Max last year in pts. DR had 6 DNF's to Max's 7....so even if you gift Max a 1st podium win to equal the DNF''s....DR still comes out ahead.

I've gotten into debates about " Well Max outqualifies DR most of the time so Max is faster!" .....which is true...but my response is " It does'nt matter, pts is what matters especially in a race with 19 other mindsets all gunning for pts."

21. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Daniel who?

22. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Well, they both have a win each for 2018, which is good.

If Toto had the balls he would have signed Ricciardo. Unfortunately it seems he wants a compliant team mate for Hamilton.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

A GP win is no certainty that Verstappen is WDC material.
    In my opinion, he is not: far too erratic to win regularly.

Why would Mercedes take the risk of Hamiton and Ricciardo sharing wins and points among themselves.
    Also, not sure if Ricciardo would do better than Bottas
    I am afraid the "2 drivers per team" structure imposed by the FIA leads inevitably to one getting Number On status, and the other one supporting him.
    Maybe not good for the spectators, but essential to avoid internal rivalry and im at 2 titles.

24. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Ye
    yes the tense unfolding story of Rosberg Vs Hamilton was probably the last we will see in F1.
    It was reminiscent of Prost / Senna.
    The dynamics of inter-team rivalry is pure drama.

william likes this.
  25. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Also not good for Ricciardo. At Mercedes he could have shown he was WDC material and taken the fight to Lewis