Max Verstappen | Page 58 | FerrariChat

Max Verstappen

Discussion in 'F1' started by CRG125, Aug 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

At one point, there were a few on this forum who thought Ferrari should have recruited him.
    I couldn't see that myself.
    Last year maybe, in an interview Hulkenberg said that no top team would call on his services.
    At least he isn't big-headed and doesn't harbour any illusion.
    At Renault Ricciardo should quickly be faster than him, IMO.

F2003-GA likes this.
  2. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

With 62 podiums and 13 GP wins, Coulthard was certainly not mid-field, and far better than Hulkenberg.

3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Not fair. Coulthard drove cars that Hulkenberg only can dream of.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    What part of ''I rate DC'' do you not comprehend? Stop picking every bit apart. I rate him highly but not in the top. As was evident when he was teammate with Hakkinen and Raikkonen. From that we know he's not a superstar. So the next step down is mid field. And he was top of that. Comprende?

375+, stavura, F2003-GA and 4 others like this.
  5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Absolutely. Coulthard was in the right cars at the right time, as was mid-fielder and WDC Damon Hill. Ka-Boom!

6. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    And Jacques Villeneuve.

Bas likes this.
  7. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

+1
    Even multiple WDC Piquet was slow compared to the new boy Schumacher. Joss didn't stand a chance.

Bas likes this.
  8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

By a quick rule of thumbs, the best drivers usually get called by the top teams and get the best cars.
    Coulthard was WDC material at some point, but had strong team mates.
    Hulkenberg never received a call from a team likely to win the championship, I Wonder why.
    He is not a bad driver, but certainly not in the same league as Coulthard was.
    If there is any sparks of Genius in Hulk's driving, we have yet to see it.

9. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

At which point ?

Even Coulthard has said he lacked the extra X factor that Hakkinen, Schumacher and Alonso posessed.
    Therefore throughout his F1 career he was not WDC material.

Sparks of genius usually reveal themselves early-doors in an average car.

I feel for Alesi, super quick but his loyalty to Ferrari denied himself a seat in a WDC capable car.

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Coulthard finishes 2nd or 3rd in the championship several times when at McLaren, proof that he was right near the top.
    He certainly could hold his own against his team mates. He didn't win 13 GPs by chance.

Hulkenberg went through a few teams, but never did he show flashes of genius.
    Perhaps I was blinking when that happened ...

Alesi gets much adulation here, but I don't share that.
    A driver who let slip through his fingers at certain drive at Williams, the dominating team then, to be lured by a contract for Ferrari, to me is puzzling.
    When you think that D.Hill, J. Villeneuve and Prost won a WDC each in that car, some say without effort, one wonders what went through Alesi's mind!
    That sealed his career, and we are left to ponder if someone who makes such a bad decision is really WDC material.

11. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Alesi posessed the X factor behind the wheel but his loyalty and belief in Ferrari was admirable but unfortunately Ferrari was spaghetti bolognese during his tenure.

Conversely Mika Hakkinen's loyalty and belief in McLaren came good.

Such are the weather Gods.

Hulkenberg has no genius in F1.

The operative word in Coluthard's career is "near" , as you pointed out.
    I was a guest of a certain Williams driver at Monaco when Coluthard stuck it on pole. Imagine the delight onboard our hosts boat when DC was banging his steering wheel as he stalled the McLaren on the grid.

It was a good day for the Tifosi :)

DC was one of the best of the rest, but certainly not WDC material during his tenure.

12. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Strange ... Barichello was 2nd as well and scored 11 victories but he is only considered a No.2 for Michael whereas David is WDC material all of the sudden with almost the same stats.... does not make sense to me

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

375+ likes this.
  13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Hulkenberg got a pole with a mid field car, beat all his team mates and won Le Mans.
    Coulthard was test driver for Williams, Senna died et voilá.

As Clint Eastwood said, deserving has nothing to do with this.

14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I´m tired of reading that ****: when Alesi took that decision, Ferrari was 2nd and Williams 4th. But oh, it´s so easy to talk in hindsight. Alesi´s career was doomed anyway: when he got a seat at Benetton, they went from 1st to 3rd, and later dropped like a rock.

There are so many examples of drivers who took the wrong train. That stuff of "the best drivers always end in the best cars" is a blatant lie. Right now, there is a certain Sebastian Vettel who is under heavy pressure to show that he´s at least a decent driver, despite having many times the best car.

furoni and 375+ like this.
  15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's your opinion, and I accept that.

Couthard has 13 wins to show for his career in 2 top teams, that's most than many "mid-fielders" can say.

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #1441 william, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019

If one pole is all that Hulkenberg can show for his years in F1, that puts him in the same league as Boutsen or De Cesaris!

17. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Yep. But Hulkenberg beat his team mates while Coulthard was Ron Dennis' b****.

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Alesi had already signed for Williams, by all accounts, and got talked into driving for Ferrari instead at the last minute.
    In an interview in Motorsport last year, Alesi accepted that it had been a disastrous decision.

Looking for the best opportunities and deciding the right career moves is part of being a good F1 driver.
    Some drivers have made cunning moves, like Fangio, Stewart, Lauda, Schumacher, Hamilton, who enhanced their careers by switching team.
    Others have taken the wrong decision, like Surtees, Fittipaldi, Villeneuve Jr, Alesi, Alonso, etc ...that completely stalled their career.

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Beating your team mates in minnow teams isn't a bit deal, and won't leave a lasting impression, I am sure.

But clocking 13 GP wins when your team mates were Hakkinen and Raikkonen looks like an achievement to me.

Each to its own, of course ...

20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    All very interesting ..but what has all this to do with Max ?

tifoso2728 and G. Pepper like this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Nothing really !!

We started drifting sometime ago when Coulthard came into the conversation ...

22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    oh well could have been worse..lh;)

23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Off season doldrums. For the record Alesi was great, Coulthard a wanker and Hulkenberg somewhere in between;).

furoni likes this.
  24. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I remember Coulthard blocking Michael in one race to give Hakkinen an advantage... as soon as Michael pitted David tried to increase the pace to avoid an undercut just to crash a lap later.... hardly championship like
    Hulk is consistent "best of the rest" showing he can drive but he never got the chance to compete in a contender. He will never become WDC but at least he can proof himself against one that is certainly in the circle of the best at the moment

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but the epithet "wanker" is undeserved, I think.
    Just to put things into perspective, Coulthard scored more GP wins than Alan Jones, Jacques Villeneuve, James Hunt, Jody Schekter or Jochen Rindt, all WDCs.

F2003-GA likes this.