McLaren fails to get sponsor for 2018 | FerrariChat

McLaren fails to get sponsor for 2018

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Dec 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Wait... I thought the problem they had getting a sponsor was “Honda”

So, Zak Brown trashed his main sponsor— Honda— kicked them out along with a free engine deal and half the driver salaries paid, and now has to buy the third best engine on the grid (with its own history of unreliability) and ended up with no sponsor at all.

They have gone backwards. If they don’t produce results early they will never make it. They are in worse shape than Williams. At least they have 2 paying drivers and a title sponsor.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/no-title-sponsor-for-mclaren-in-2018/

crinoid likes this.
  2. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    lol you are just a mclaren basher. they will be WAY up the grid next year and their road car division is making them metric tons of cash so no, not a similar situation to williams in the slightest. ditching honda was the best move they could have made. would have been even better if they did it earlier

might be a long year for ya next year. get used to seeing Alonso on the podium

vinuneuro likes this.
  3. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    They lost $100m+ in support from Honda. You don’t think that will have an impact?

4. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    It is currently the third best engine, but the gap from 1 to 3 is far smaller than the cavernous rift from there to #4 Honda. RBR would have liked perfect reliability, but their repeated successes in 2017 prove that McL have some reason to be positive. Of course they will miss the $$$, but they won’t miss that power unit.

vinuneuro likes this.
  5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    When it's in the RB, you might have a different tune to sing.

crinoid likes this.
  6. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Nope. Increase in prize money will make up for a huge chunk of it alone and you don't even know the exact figure they got from Honda

Sfumato and vinuneuro like this.
  7. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    do you actually think the McLaren is a bad chassis and they were masking it with excuses about the engine? because that is just ridiculous

vinuneuro likes this.
  8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    What happened to Petrobras?

Btw, anyone believes mclaren will be ahead of red bull next year? I don’t and would be surprised if they can even beat Renault.

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Actually, yes. They were using more downforce than anyone else on the grid to reduce their high speed but improve cornering.

10. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    It is the opposite. Teams with less power like McLaren today and RB in past years, ran less DF and gave up some quali pace to have a more raceable car. In addition to just wing levels, their car philosophy will also change over the next few years as a result of the added power since they no longer have to balance aero efficiency as much.

11. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Not if it's $90MM grenades and $10MM dustpans. :D
    At COTA, they did a powerplant swap while my daughter watched. Fast, as they've done it a lot, and unhidden, as no secret go fast tech.
    Honda guy on laptop was on his phone more. Prob playing Pokemon Go.

12. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    I doubt they'll be ahead of RB. Renault and Honda engine packaging are very different from each other and STR already said it's a big task to redesign for this. It affects not only the installation but very much the aero as well. Both teams will be compromised since the engine change came pretty late.

13. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I will take the bet that they beat Renault

14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    These days nobody can find a sponsor. Ferrari has just lost one, and even Mercedes has almost the same ones they had 4 years ago. What could be expected from the second to last team? The only thing they can do now is break Mansour Ojjeh´s piggy bank and hope for a good season to recover some credibility.

15. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I have faith that Honda will continue to improve...

RBR is in the position to sacrifice the number two team in exchange for potential gains the following year. McLaren did not and does not have that option. So, yes...it might be a different tune in 2019, but I thought we were talking about 2018. From a performance standpoint (of the entire program...not just of the car), ditching Honda was necessary. They were literally a laughing stock and the punchline of many jokes.

I have never been an Alonso fan, but there is no question that he can drive. I’m nearly certain he would have walked away if Honda had stayed. There is nobody even close to his proven abilities that is available to fill his seat if he were to leave.

It was and remains a very pragmatic decision with benefits that will pay off quickly, as opposed to possibly eventually maybe.

16. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I was sure Santander, being Spanish, would end up with McLaren again. I was w-w-w-wrong . . . . . .

17. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Renault contract is thru '21 iirc?? Or up to new motor.
    Porsche mutters about coming back. Hmmm, McLaren Porsche. That could work. Probably worth 3 year wait too.
    Alonso worked hard and did some surprising things with the Honda fright pig.
    Winning actual prize and contingency money should benefit a lot. And lots of staff are staying with the team.
    Sweater and AMG motors both detuned for customers. Renault not. I'm hoping for good things.

18. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
  19. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    McLaren hasn't had a title sponsor since before ZB. Getting rid of Honda was the only option, they haven't gotten their act together at all since the partnership began.

Martini isn't a title sponsor...they got all the space on the car for a pittance.

Most of what pays McLaren's F1 bills these days comes from backers in the ME. When that goes poof, so do McLaren.

Sfumato likes this.
  20. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    LOL Welcome to last fall :)
    I really think the McLaren chassis is decent. Backup generator motor >> Honduh. How the mighty have fallen, in sport and on the street.

Hey Korr. I think the street cars are paying for the race cars now. My 720 was a pre-transplant bucket list car whore purchase. Best for last. Hope you're well buddy
    L

daytona355 likes this.
  21. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Okay...I don’t get it. Of course it’s old news, but you did not seem to know that when you suggested the contract went to 2021. 2018 will be a crucial year for Honda if RBR wants to retain the services of Ricciardo.

22. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Sorry, that was self deprecation. Chemo has ruined me. Thx for that, I'd heard otherwise from McLaren at US GP, but never saw it noted. Now I know why.
    Makes more sense with Riccardo, THAT boy needs a ride, lots of great championships in that one I think.
    Thank you Ted.

23. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I see. :)

I agree that DR deserves a better situation than playing second fiddle to Max.

Sfumato likes this.
  24. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
  25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Funny as Red Bull themselves stated, before any negotiations, they wouldn't sell him to Ferrari/Merc ''even for 100m''. That kind of set Verstappen's value.