McLaren threatens to leave F1 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

McLaren threatens to leave F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Mar 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Recently Mclaren have been operating like a dog with no teeth.... Making a whole lot of noise but unable to bite.

crinoid likes this.
  2. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Considering that McLaren's road going car business seems to be fairing much better than their F1 team and the upcoming hyper-car class in the WEC (or at least Le Mans) perhaps they are looking for a reason to cut bait from F1 and focus on racing what they can actually build competitively?

william and Bas like this.
  3. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    You are not wrong.....but they have had this Formula since the late 1970s.....it is called Formula Continental.....;)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_Continental

4. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Fixed it for you. As much as this is comical hubris on Zak's part, Ferrari sound just as childish when they do it. Yes F1 needs Ferrari, but Ferrari need F1, at least as much in my mind. Pull out of F1, and it might have no effect in the short term, but let's check back ten years, after the fact, when the memory of the legacy starts to fade. What is to differentiate them from any other shinny status symbol manufacturer then? To play on the heritage and trickle down technology card, you need to be in it.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ferrari will sell all their cars they do if they leave F1. If Ferrari decides to make more cars, they'll sell those too.

Ferrari doesn't need F1. F1 needs Ferrari. Will Ferrari lose some status among it's fans? Absolutely. But people won't stop buying them suddenly.

6. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    True. F1 needs Ferrari more than Ferrari needs F1.

John_K_348, daytona355 and Bas like this.
  7. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Agreed to a point. If they leave F1 they will still sell everything they can...for the next few years....but 10 years down the line, what's the differentiator between them and Lambo? I see F1 as intrinsic to the brand. I would argue in the LONG term F1 would loose less than Ferrari would if they left.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Then this starts happening https://www.planetf1.com/news/wolff-and-stroll-held-breakaway-talks-with-bernie/

9. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    i though he was a comedian from the start with Mac.

daytona355 likes this.
  10. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Exactly. We all know how many people rush out and buy Ferraris when they win a championship... ohh wait none...

ALSO... you can see how unsuccessful Lamborghini and Porsche is without F1... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Formula One has very little relevancy in customer purchases

Ohh wait Williams is selling tons of wait... ohh wait.... they don't sell cars... (they sell technology that goes into cars and most people don't even know that)

Everyone started buying alfa romeos because of Kimi... wait... ... ...

I don't know about anyone else... but I am pretty sure the only reason why spyker sold a single car was because of ohh wait...

I know... I know... this post is a bit Forced... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... India.

11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

McLaren is freefalling iwthout a parachute !

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's not Gospel truth at all.

It's just an axiom constantly repeated by Ferrari fans to justify the historic fees injustice.

Adrian Thompson likes this.
  13. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Yes.... because the crowds of are never filled with people in red.

John_K_348 and daytona355 like this.
  14. Jean-Pierre Marchand

BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    I believe it to be true, fee injustice or not. Of course, the only way to really find out is for them to leave. Do any of us want that?

375+ and daytona355 like this.
  15. Jean-Pierre Marchand

BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    Do I detect sarcasm? I think so . . . . I can tell you in Montreal, those who choose to spend their money on team apparel choose the red team more than others.

John_K_348 and daytona355 like this.
  16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's not because there are more spectators wearing Ferrari regalia at GPs that the historic fees system is justified.

Ferrari, McLaren and Williams, are given an unfair advantage.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

To be honest, I think that no team is bigger than F1, and I really don't care which one leaves or joins.

I follow F1 on a non-partisan basic, simply because I like the racing.

I don't support any particular team, and if F1 became a specs series, that would be fine by me.

18. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Ferrari is way bigger than F1. Without Ferrari, the rest have no one to compete with that actually matters to anyone at all..... red bull win, millenial red bull drinkers give a ****? No. Mercedes win, do the grey haired majority that buy their road cars care? No. Williams, they don’t even sell cars.... the list goes on.

Ferrari leaves, F1 is finished

19. Jean-Pierre Marchand

BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    Oui!

daytona355 likes this.
  20. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I always speak my mind! grazie

Bas likes this.
  21. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I understand your point. But unfortunately i do not see it your way. Perhaps (i am trying to be nice not sound like a jerk so don't take it that way please) you are being too black and white with everything.

Yes... the legends getting more money might be unfair and it might hold back the other teams...

but... the legends hold the power.

And at the end of the day this is business. Without ferrari... formula one will really lose a signifcant portion of history. Look at it. It doesn't even matter if ferrari does well or poorly. People still show up. The tifosi are die hard. They fill the stands. They are the goof balls that tell their friends to watch. They are the goof balls that watch a race live at 330 am.

They do matter. They hold weight. They hold power.

Also, the legends have been putting in their time. They have been around for the good and the bad of the sport... and they have the staying power.

They are paid to stay.

daytona355, Bas and P.Singhof like this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

BS !!!

23. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Ferrari deserve theirs, people turn up to watch them race, no one gives a **** if force India turn up

24. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    They don't need to leave F1...F1 (as we know it and knew it) is going to be gone in 5 years. It will be electric...no doubt about it. That will be the solution to all the cost issues...even if it doesn't work. The life of hybrids is almost over. They were always just a transition technology. Ferrari will announce its Tesla fighter within a year, Porsche already has...and you can expect Mercedes to follow within minutes, and VW Bugatti right after that. Racing will be a way of promoting their street models. And much of the technology will be shared. This is our video game future. Each new generation buries the last. The GTO will be looked on as a clumsy Model T. Today's F1 cars will be laughed at as "cute." Formula E will simply morph in to F-e 1 and then just F1. In five years.

william likes this.
  25. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    And no one will be watching once that happens..... we’ll just play with our slot cars when we want boring, silent racing, then go out and create havoc on the roads in our dinosaur technology Ferrari’s :)

MalcQV and John_K_348 like this.