Mercedes and Pirelli | FerrariChat

Mercedes and Pirelli

Discussion in 'F1' started by TifosiUSA, Apr 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
  2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    well well well, then Pirelli must emphatically oblige them then.:rolleyes:

Ferrari should lodge a complaint about the Empire getting preferential treatment regarding this matter.

3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    They’ll still lose.

4. Tifosi Ferrari

Tifosi Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2017
    Really that can do that? Isn't that the same thing as what happened with 2013 season? Also 2012 tires had weird things which did helped with different winners for different races.

375+ likes this.
  5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    It Pirelli are prepared to change the tyres based on the request of just one team, without the approval of all of the rest, then they should lose their supply contract. Imagine the furore if ferrari made that request, or red bull, Mercedes would be threatening legal action and to leave f1 before the twitter feeds hit five replies. Disugusting favoritism from the FIA allowing them to even think they can ask, let alone get this done. If they can’t make the tyres work, adjust their setup, change the suspension settings, stop ****ing CHEATING and like every other team, the tyres will work

Finlander, classic308 and Bas like this.
  6. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    AS Tifosi said, in the 2013 season Ferrari an lotus had great cars, Re Bull was suffering and then Pitelli changed the tyres to suit thm and screwd Ferrari and lotus cars!!!

classic308 and daytona355 like this.
  7. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Wow. Did other teams also have blistering issues in testing? If not this seems very unfair. Mercedes should be forced to change the setup of the car, if others can run race distances without blistering why should it be changed? Also, maybe Mercedes just needs more pit stops, price for a fast car...

8. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    The FIA with Jean Todt at the helm have been completley inefectual on virtually every front

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Reeks of ''oh we can't win that race with our set up, so please Pirelli, bring a special compound so we can win that race, please and thank you. Usual offshore account, yes?"

SimCity3 and daytona355 like this.
  10. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Absolutely. In years gone by, that’s what happened, if the tyres didn’t last, change then more often or use a harder compound. If it ****s your race, tough. Mercedes don’t want an even playing field though, they just want to win at all costs, regardless it degrades their win and makes fans more and more bored with the ********

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bas likes this.
  11. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Interesting development. I suppose Merc decided it was worth showing their hand to the other teams for the benefit. Wonder if their chronic tire munching problem has returned from those early years post Brawn F1?

12. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Tobi Gruner :Clarification on the tweet about the special Pirelli tyre spec for Barcelona, Paul Ricard & Silverstone. Mercedes hasn't "requested" a tyre change they just "highlighted" the problem to Pirelli. According to Pirelli the change then was their own initiative proposed to the FIA.

Per Pirelli: Guys, there is no controversy. The proposal was put forward to the FIA by Pirelli in order to reduce heat build-up on new asphalt circuits (three in total) and shared with all the teams before being announced.

PMW2018 likes this.
  13. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Surely the other teams will protest these “Mercedes spec” special tires.

If this is aggregious as it sounds (based on a single twitter post),... and if the FIA allows this,... I’m done.

classic308 likes this.
  14. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    ********..... damage limitation. Someone let the cat out the bag and some dollar bills were lost from the bribe

stavura, Bas and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  15. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

crinoid likes this.
  16. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    bump, did I call this or what?

Merc gets their custom tires that only they can make work and win in the most dominating fashion of anyone all year

NEP, stavura, fil and 4 others like this.
  17. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Bang on the money mate..... literally. All those new Mercedes with shiny new OEM Pirelli’s they were once Michelin, Continental and the rest........

Jeronimo GTO and crinoid like this.
  18. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Daytona,

Funny you mentioned the OEM angle as my son and I were discussing that very subject last night!

crinoid likes this.
  19. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Yeah, I noticed on our CLA AMG it had Pirelli’s, as did the C63 before it, but as they are ‘performance cars’, I expected it, when I picked up er indoors GLA 220, that also runs on pirellis, and it’s just a run of the mill merc.

I changed the tyres on my Bentley today, Michelin’s instead of P Zeros, and immediately much more compliant ride sharper handling. I’ll be changing all the cars over coming months

Jeronimo GTO and crinoid like this.
  20. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Interesting...hadnt noticed that.

Well we can basically just hand wins to Mercedes at Silverstone and Paul Ricard since these tires will be used at both those tracks as well.

daytona355 likes this.
  21. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Yep, Silverstone, which has its own Mercedes dealership within its grounds! Wonder why

crinoid likes this.
  22. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I recommend people watch F1 Paddock Pass on YouTube:

Interviewer: “ how has Mercedes managed to unlock this track this weekend”
    Vettel: “Different Tires”

It’s very simple. Mercedes had Pirelli change the tire that they favor to suit their car.

stavura, daytona355 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  23. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  24. Tifosi Ferrari

Apr 28, 2017
    Ferrari should both properly just so that they can figure out to suit the car.

25. Tifosi Ferrari

Apr 28, 2017
    Ferrari do have an exclusive challenge that has pirelli being the sole supplier. Though I heard that Mercedes has Pirelli did the said f1 testing and has pirelli tires fitted on their road cars. I don't know if the last part is true though over that venture.