Merged: 0117 S - This Week's Barn Find | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Merged: 0117 S - This Week's Barn Find

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Marcel Massini, Aug 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. emiel

emiel Karting

Sep 26, 2006
    Vlissingen
    Full Name:
    Emiel Wind
    If this was your car what would you do with it Marcel? IMO getting the original engine is a must, because what you have then is a rebodied 195 inter. (which is also not optimal to me) Ferrari has rebuilt Ferraris with less original parts.

one other point, would Ferrari consider rebuilding de rest of the car that belonged to the body? (since it does not have a chassis and number)

Last question, imagine if Ferrari decides to rebuild the Berlinetta and the original chassis comes to the surface, what will happen next?

2. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I agree with Marcel and prefer that the car should be rebuilt as a 195 Inter with a replica of the original body (assuming that the original 195 motor or another 195 motor can be found). The problem obviously being the high cost of doing so.

I don't mind the current body, as it is "period", but the car needs the 250 engine removed and replaced with a 195 motor (again, assuming one could be found)....

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

IMO there are two choices. Ship the car from the Auction to Ferrari Classiche, write a check, or restore the car as she is today.

Some would do one other's the other but either way as long as what things really are is fully disclosed I think either is fine.

It's a strange world. At Ferrari's 60th MS gave a ride to a Journalist in the 125 which is a total replica. He told her he was driving carefully because it was worth millions. Truth? As Macca said many wouldn't recognize the truth if it landed on their heads...

Best

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Sir:
    May I suggest to re-read the entire thread, please. This is NOT about the (current) body. It is about the CHASSIS FRAME which is the MAIN piece. It is 0117 S. The original body (Motto Berlinetta) is long gone. The original engine 0117 S belongs since more than 25 years to a Ferrari collector in USA. Firstly, every effort (and I really mean it!) should be undertaken to acquire the original engine 0117 S, in order to have it re-united with the original chassis frame 0117 S. Once this is done (and this may take years of negotiations!), then the question of a possible new (Motto replica) body can be asked. The current 1956 Scaglietti Spider body would later become surplus and could be put on a rack or someone could hang it on a wall in the living room. There is NO original chassis missing (your quote: "the original chassis comes to the surface.....") in this case. Chassis 0117 S is here and exists. The goal must be to reunite the original chassis with the original engine.
    Marcel Massini

5. TCT

TCT Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2004
    USA
    2 cents from an observer...

It seems to me the car is just a bunch of parts from more than one car.

If I owned it and didn't really worry about the cost but more the end result, I would take it apart.

Then take the chassis and build what was on the car when it rolled off the factory floor.

What ever else left over that had any historical value I would restore and/or shelf it for another day.

At any rate...what an interesting thread and find.

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Totally agree if original engine could be reunited with this chassis would be wonderful. The twilight zone IMO begins at the point Ferrari Classiche can make an "original" engine today.

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No need to make an "original" engine today. The original engine 0117 S still exists today.
    Marcel Massini

8. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Absolutely totally agreed. The car - as it is today - is a mix of at least three cars, nothing else.
    1) Chassis 0117 S
    2) Body built by Scaglietti in 1956
    3) 250 GTE engine and additional parts

Marcel Massini

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The original engine of a Yellow 275 GTB exists today but for whatever reason the owner of the car was unable to buy it/unwilling to pay what was asked for it and elected instead to have Ferrari Classiche build an "original" one for him and authenticate his car with that "original" engine.

I realize the original engine for this car exists but if the person who owns it is unwilling to sell it or the price he wants is beyond what the owner of the Chassis can or is willing to pay the fact that it exists is meaningless.

The interesting issue to me is that when a car, that Ferrari Classiche "Restores" from not much more than an original chassis, comes to market how will the Market react? In two years. In ten Years. In 50 Years. What will the "Judges" say? Will such a car be welcomed at Pebble? If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it does it make a noise?

10. gregmour

gregmour F1 Rookie

Dec 17, 2005
    Valréas / France
    Full Name:
    GREGORY
    ????? it's not good if FERRARI classiche give certificate for engin built in 2007......no original engine = no certificate.

Imagine, with modern technology, it's possible to make another painting like "la joconde", what do you think about another joconde painting with an expert certificate ???? you 'll think "it's a fake".

11. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Dretceterini, with a great pleasure,I have sent 3 email to Bart who are return to me ! Please say to him that I agree to buy two Scaglietti badge .
    Thank you very much.

12. emiel

emiel Karting

Sep 26, 2006
    Vlissingen
    Full Name:
    Emiel Wind
    @ Marcel

My mistake, it was a coachbuilded body indeed. But the question remains, what if the other barnfind Ferrari with the Devin roadster body is going to be remanufactured and the original spider body comes to surface (although i realise it is pretty close to impossible) but still... it would create a strange situation. I am such a big fan of the F166 and you can imagine how I like the F195, its such a display of craftsmanship

13. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

I will telephone him tomorrow morning, and let you know what is going on. He might be out of stock on the badges you want, and may be waiting for them to be shipped to him from Italy. If he is out of stock, he might be willing to have the maker in Italy send them directly to you, rather than shipping them to the US, then shipping them again to you....

14. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    In view of what some totally fake pre-war Alfas are getting today. The Ponder 6c2300B, which has a chassis made in SOUTH AMERICA in the last 30 years (a copy of a 6c2300B MM chassis); a 6c2300 lungo single carb motor modified to 6c2300MM (twin carb) specs, and a modern coachwork "in the style of" going for almost a million US dollars, I wouldn't doubt that someone would pay 3 million or more for the Ferrari built 125 replica!

15. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

I think it is now also illegal in the US, but it is still legal in England. It is used today mainly in wooden ship building and in furniture making. There are two types:

Varnish:

Varnish typically is petroleum based or tree sap based clear sealer. Varying degrees of sheens are found, from matt (flat), to eggshell, satin (pearl), semi-gloss and gloss (high gloss). Most commonly used for furniture, floors, objects, and the ship building industries. Varnish comes in 2 basic categories, oil based and water based. Each category has different types, for example, Spar varnish, Damar varnish, re-touch varnish.

16. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Dreceterini, I think that the badges are not out of stock, but if it is the case ,yes it is better to send the badges from Italy to France directly.
    Please let me known your answer.
    About the cellulosic vernish, I think it is forbidden in Europe ,so in England also ?

17. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I do not know if celulose varnish is legal in England or not.

For the Scaglietti badges, item number FD/8VT, Bart has them in stock. The price is $126.00 US each, plus $20 US shipping and packing cost. Bart said to fax him your credit card number and address, and he will send them immediately. He prefers this to having you send a bank draft in US funds. Bart's fax number is 386-325-1122 in Florida, USA.

Regards,
    Stu

18. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    thank you dretceterini I see quickly.

19. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    what do you think about this, and did you known this ? The 250GTE engine (placed in 117S) is the result of the engine prototype 12 cylinders 60 ° 2953cc, which won the MILLE-MIGLIA with bracco Giovanni in.............. 1952.
    In 1953 at least 7 Ferrari were equipped with it 12 cyl 3 liters to run the mille-miglia !!!
    It seems to me that this engine in 117S is not an error or a fault, even if I agree to say that a 195 inter engine would be preferable; but I think it is my responsability to conserve 117S like as is, because it is its history.

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    One fine day you realize that making yourself happy is all that matters. You're making yourself happy. When you're done drive and enjoy her.

Best

21. fred cat

fred cat Karting
    BANNED

Oct 20, 2007
    .............I agree w/ Jim

22. smartteen

smartteen Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Bryan, 117S has two numbers :
    - rear-axle N° 508E 600123
    - gear-box N° 508E 55719
    I want to know if these parts comes from the peter Monteverdi 250 GTE(2+2) ???
    It is possible to know this ?
    The paint body is almost finish,I sent you photos soon is completely finish,she looks very well !
    Guy

23. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Yes, it is possible to know this.

Please check the number of the gearbox. It is located on top of the gearbox on the left side of shifter and looks like this:

http://koti.welho.com/kpietil4/img_0632.jpg

24. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    #275 T308, Nov 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Look on the left side of the gearbox for the number. The number you quote is the type of box and is on the right side.

The first picture is the number you're reading. You want the number shown in the second.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login