Merged: Fiamm Horn/Lucas fan details | FerrariChat

Merged: Fiamm Horn/Lucas fan details

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Vintage V12, Jul 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    I am restoring the Fiamm roadmaster horns for a 1966 275gtb which are painted silver. Can anyone tell me the proper color. They are blue under the silver paint, but I have been told they should be painted red. I also am not sure of the proper paint scheme for the Lucas fan and motor. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
  3. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    FIAMM horn bases are "hammertone" silver. As the bases look like they were painted assembled, the screws and the hose nozzle on the base are typically painted over. The metal label disc was probably put on last.

The horn trumpets are best described as candy apple red (although esssentiall a darker red, it has a very slight touch of purple in the hue). The base metal appears to have been semi-polished and sprayed with a transluscent paint. 'Testors' model paint (go to a hobby shop) has in the range a darker transluscent candy apple red that is close (but to add that slight touch towards purple, Testors has a transluscent candy purple that you can experiment with as thin first coat, followed by the principal topcoats of candy red). If the trumpet base metal is discolored/pitted (usually is) a base of silver color can even it out, but it should not be metallic.

The FIAMM Roadmaster compressor body is usually a fine wrinkle finish black. The bracket is cadmium plated. Silver, not gold cadmium.

The Lucas fan motor steel case is also silver "hammertone". The end plates are not painted. The fasteners are cadmium. The fan was painted semi-gloss black. Have also seen the case black.

All of the above from seeing unrestored originals. Hope this helps.

4. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Wow! Thanks for your help. Very much appreciated.

5. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Lancia:

Would you happen to have pictures that you could post of these original horns and their compressor?

Thanks.
    Alberto

6. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
  7. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Jon:

Thank you for posting the link. Nice web site, by the way.

8. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    You're welcome. And thanks!

9. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Anyone know what years each of these were used? Roadmaster, Serie 2000?

Thanks.
    Alberto

10. Colin Angell

Colin Angell Karting

Jun 17, 2004
    Just when you thought you had it sorted.......I have a 365 GTC with original blue horn trumpets. Take your pick!

11. geltman

geltman Rookie

Aug 8, 2004
    On a fast run a couple of months ago, in my 365GTB4 Daytona, I severed my FIAM air horn hose.
    I need about 4 or 5 feet of the original red hose to replace it the piece from the compressor to the Y joint. Can anyone help supply original or tell me where to find a suitable replacement?

12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Here's a possible alternative. It's approximately the same diameter.
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/asp/strBase_List./hilt./source./base_no.91011450/str_base_no.2758000%2C42512801%2C60710030%2C6174109%2C91011450%2C/header_title.Keyword+Search/page_name.search%2Fkeyword%5Fresults%2Easp/search_type.red+fuel/search_option.AllWords/deptsearch./deptSearch_id./dept_id./dept_id_p./dept_name./dept_name_p./ShowImages.yes/sq.0/cont.1/intPgNo.1/redirect./qx/product.htm

13. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Try T Rutlands. They have the proper hose. Ask for Brian.

14. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #14 Vintage V12, Jul 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    FYI: I found a great photo of a perfect untouched color photo of a horn set up in Cavallino 143 on a Lusso.

16. GTSguy

GTSguy Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    For what its worth, my GTS does not have red finished horns. Mine appear original and are simply spun aluminium. The hron ends are as shown in the picture above.

17. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    Yes, those Lusso pictures are a great reference.

18. Bill P

Bill P Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Prescott AZ
    Full Name:
    William D. Preston
    My 250 GTE has Fiamm Road Master horns. When I got the car in 1982 the horns were obviously original but scratched. I found Testors Spray Pla Enamel No. 1204 to be a good match for the original color. I would call it a candy apple red and it does have a touch of blue or purple in it. I repainted them in August, 1983 and they have held up well since.

19. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Thank you for all the help. I believe the horns for my roadmaster setup are not correct. I am now searching for the correct ones. They have a metal disk with red writing on them. Thanks.

20. GTSguy

GTSguy Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I checked my old horn over the weekend. My earlier statement that the horns were alum. colered was incorrect. The horns have been sprayed but the original color is visable in several locations. The original color was a candy red as mentioned by others. The original finish was anoidized - not paint.

21. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    Look at Mike Dunn's hose (http://www.madenterprise.com/catalog/hosesandsleeving.htm). It was just slightly lighter red than the original on my 330 GT. But perhaps mine had darkened over the years.

Regards, Kerry

22. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  23. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    I didn't say it was cheap! A friend once commented on Dunn's prices that it was a good thing that he didn't charge by the millimeter.

For expensive see:
    RADIATOR TO EXPANSION TANK HOSE,
    8mm I.D. Longitudinally ribbed rubber. 1.55 / in
    for the correct overflow hose for a 330 GT.

Regards, Kerry

24. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Which FIAMM horn was used on a 250 GT Lusso?
    Two or three horn?