Michelin has released the Pilot Sport 4 All-season for F12 sizes | FerrariChat

Michelin has released the Pilot Sport 4 All-season for F12 sizes

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by colonels, Jul 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    just made the tires in F12 sizes this month.

supposedly has 90% of the MPS4 summer tires but with much better rain and snow handling due to different treading.

anyone tried these yet?

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Considering how much the F12 already struggles for traction, I'm not sure this is a great option. It's not as good as,an MPS4, much less an MPS4S or MPSS, and it is not on par with a good winter tyre either. I don't think I see the use on an F12. On a Lusso, Panamera etc. absolutely, but not an F12.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I can not even see this as an alternative for proper winter tires on FF/GTC4Lusso.
    They are most likely worse during summertime, and for sure useless during wintertime...

4. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    The genuine use case for all season tyres is very limited.

This great test explains why.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    it's actually supposed to be 90% of MPS4S(summer)
    it is an MPS4 all season

6. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    No - that it is not. All seasons are never ever going to be anyway close to either summer or winter tire - it is a challenge that is not possible to combine.

7. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
  8. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Well, do you remember RFT - Run Flat Tires? They are completly rubbish. It is the same with all seasons tires. For a tire to work in low temperatures it needs to be a lot softer and that when it is freezing outside, say -20 celsius. All seasons can not do that, since they also needs to handle high temperatures for high speed runs in high summer temps. The combination is just not possible. At least not when one thinks performance. However if you like to never use the car in freezing temps, and nevere ever drive faster than say 120 km/h then why not. But then you have a Ferrari with bicycle tires kind of...

So if you like to trade away all things that a F12, or FF/GTC4Lusso, is about. Go ahead. But you will never ever convince me that all seasons, no matter what label the tire manufacture tries to set on it, will be even close to be considered. It is just plain wrong.

9. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    did you even read the linked articles? these things are specifically addressed:
    direct quote:
    "I still hear many driving enthusiasts bashing ultra-high-performance all-season tires for lack of grip and traction. That’s because tires with an all-season tread compound indeed lag behind summer tires in those metrics. However, those enthusiasts probably never tried the latest crop of performance all-season tires, like the Pilot Sport All-Season 4, which is the newest entry in an increasingly crowded category."
    and this:
    "According to Michelin, the Pilot Sport All-Season 4 is a tire for ultimate all-season wet and dry grip and confident winter traction. In the latest model, the French tiremaker used an advanced tread compound with Michelin Helio Technology with sunflower oil. According to the brand, the mixture stays pliable and flexible at lower temperatures, making it usable in the winter.
    Furthermore, the rubber is molded into an asymmetric tread pattern, which features large reinforced outboard shoulder blocks for added stability, grip, and steering response. Meanwhile, the four wide circumferential grooves take care of water evacuation, aided by the Extreme Silica Compound, which enhances the wet traction.
    An exciting feature of the tire is the 360 Degree Variable Sipes. These indents can interlock for better dry cornering or open for increased snow traction. Ultimately, the tire also has dynamic biting edges for even better traction in rainy and snowy conditions."

so it's whether you believe them or not. i was asking if anyone has actually tried them yet, maybe on different car because the sizes just came out for F12.

10. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Did you even care to think what manufactures of RFT said, and what was later proved and proved again, just as all seasons has been proved and proved again to be much worse than summer and winter tires?

Do not assume that just because a manufacture says or writes something that it is the truth. Test and test again.

I will for sure not waste either time nor money on something that stupid as all seasons tires.

Over and out.

11. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    The only niche for all season performance tires inmho is for drivers who drive their cars year round at 5/10ths maximum and/or are too lazy or cheap to swap out summer and winter tires as the seasons change.
    If however you push your car to it’s limits your best chance for survival is to have the best tire for the conditions you are driving and sunflowers and nanotechnology notwithstanding, we have not arrived to the point where one tire does it all.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    so barring all the stubborn opinions without proof i will wait till someone has actually tested them to decide.

yes i drive my F12 year round, yes i am too lazy to swap out for winter, yes i probably drive 7/10ths of the limit most of the time.

currently have the MPSS that came on car and it wants to kill me in the wet.

13. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    These sound like a great compromise tire if you don't want to faff around with switching from Summers to Winters.

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That is not the case, let me explain why.

If we go by a percentage which in itself is difficult at best, sure, I'll go along with the idea that a MPS4 is about 90% of an MPS4S. But when we are dealing with the AS shoes a lot of factors degrade performance. The most obvious is the compound, which is totally different. It is a lot harder, but also formulated to run in colder climates. This in itself means that it cannot have the same traction abilities that the summer compound has.

Next is the tread itself. Look at the two treads. There's a significant size difference in the individual tread blocks. Not only dkes this result in a smaller contact patch, it also result in a less stable and responsive tyre. It will squirm and "walk" a lot more underneath you. Another problem with smaller tread blocks is heat management. If you push hard, the bigger surface of a large tread block is better at displacing heat.

The small sipes cut in the tyre for driving in ice has two main objectives. One is to provide a sharp edge that grabs ice, the other is to help warm up the tyre. They basically create friction within the tyre tread. This obviously means that the all season shoe is more prone to overheat if the compound is not stiff. Just how effective can those sipes be? Take a Lusso on MPS4S on both sides on a day where it is 5c and drive steady state at 60 kph for 10 minutes. You'll be lucky if the temp goes to 20c. Now take that car and put Alpins on it and do the same but in -5c. Before you know it, the tyres will be 30+c. Obviously an AS tyre does not have as many small sipes, but they are on the edges and every time you turn, they are in contact.

Lastly those sipes are yet another factor which makes the tyre move under the car.

Trust me, if they could create something n all season shoe that worked at 90% of an MPS4S, they would have something 15-20 years ahead of its time if not more. I've been in a few cars with them, and they are definitely kick-ass all season tyres, but they are not 90% of an MKS4S, not even 75%. They are great for what they are, and Michelin is definitely at the top of their game, but they are not miracle workers. If I were to make a comparison, I'd say dry weather traction feels a bit on par with Goodyear GSD-3 or the original Yoko Advan Sport tyres. Both were great for their time, but many suns and moons have passed. I'd be more than happy to ask my contact at Michelin how he rates it compared to the MPS4 and MPS4S. I don't think my 70-75% assessment is far off.

Don't forget that when Michelin debuted the MPSS they basically re-wrote the rule book, and it will take some time before any AS tyre catch up. I use the MPSS because it is basically what both the MPS4 and MPS4S if based off of.

Do I think it has its place? Yes in places where temps get to freezing, but with littke snow. It can work well on a Lusso if it's mainly a GT which the Lusso is for some. If your Lusso is a weekend fun car you take to the twisties, go for an MOS4S, but if its your GT used for more daily driver stuff, it can be more comfy nd work great in all conditions. Just don't expect it to be an MPS4S.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
  16. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    The mps4 all season come standard on the corvette c8 but the upgrade sport package for it includes mps4 summer tires.

Still would like to see a direct comparison most likely from the corvette forums. Keep yall posted

17. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    I ran a set of Atlas Force UHP tires in my F12 and it is a huge diffirent compare with Pirelli Pzero runflat.
    The car get better traction and alot quieter ...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The C8 comes with either MPS4 AS ZP or MPS4S ZP, not the MPS4.

19. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    The mps4 all season come standard on the corvette c8 but the upgrade sport package for it includes mps4 summer tires.

isn't that what i said?

20. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
  21. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Sure, all season certainly will never beat the performance of same era top summer/winter used at their respective environment, but it certainly has its place for GT cars. For the Cannonball Run record of 27hr 25min in late 2019 that resulted in a moving average of 104mph and max speed of 193mph, Michelin all season tires were chosen. IMO the Cannonball Run is a perfect example of what GT cars are designed for, and no other tires suited that record setting run better than all season, which I'm fairly sure was Michelin A/S 3+.

rw99 and colonels like this.
  22. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
  23. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    well i went ahead and got the All Season 4s mainly because my tire store didn't have the 315/35 rear in MPS4summer.

they are replacing 7 year old Pilot Super Sports so already the ride is softer and grip is better.

i read that on track after a lot of heat they will not hold up but i don't track my car so we'll see. it is below 40F in Atlanta for 4 months so it'll get a good test this winter.