Mick Schumacher | Page 23 | FerrariChat

Mick Schumacher

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Aug 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Again, I sense resentment. The above is all very true. However, the ways above are their choices; the Troll's ways are theirs. Why do you appear to be so upset? Is it keeping you from participating? If not, why my perceived anger?
    I wished to race professionally, but had no money for even entry level participation. My passion was racing so I did what I had to to participate...from wrenching all the way down to sweeping the shop floors. The culmination, my two rent-a-seat rides in Rolex 24s (Pepsi Challenge back then), were bought and paid for with my sweat at the little teams shop after my days at work. I feel no.....zip....nodda....resentment at all for their ways and means of getting Stroll's hunger (I presume) satiated. I wish I had it for sure, but didn't. More power to them.....he gets to live his dream (again, I presume). I sorta lived mine (more woulda' been nice...), I'm only happy for him. :)

william and mdrums like this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Good stuff from Mazepin (and Nelson). Mazepin can consider me a fan straight away. Well done to his parents raising him well!

3. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Piquet Jr was great in F2, poor in F1. Moral of story, success in F2 doesn't guarantee success in F1...or the opposite!

I give Mick benefit of doubt so far, he started racing later and at his own pace. Sure he gets better opportunities than most, because of his name, but as discussed elsewhere in the thread, they also expect more from him because of his family name.

Also lets not forget junior series are quite dependent on the team around the driver. They may all drive identical cars but some teams have (much) better staff than others...Also more grids per race weekend, most often the place you start 2nd or 3rd race is dependent on where you finish the race previous. Being taken out in T1 from the lead can drastically affect championship positions.

I remember with F3 and Max, he had an engine failure in the 2nd race from the lead, which gives him not only the obviously penalty not getting any points in that race, but a daft 10 grid penalties in the next 3 races....he also had a lot of reliability issues all season, also his very first season of car racing and being far less experienced than the drivers he was battling.

My point is, people always credit Ocon for being as good as Verstappen because he beat him in F3, supposedly equal cars...people are quick to forget that Ocon was in his 3rd full season of racing with downforce cars! I didn't find Ocon particularly impressive in F1, and presumably neither did Mercedes, gladly dumping him at Renault, not costing them a dime.

Charles really missed a golden opportunity not dressing up in a giant Eclair suit!

SimCity3 likes this.
  4. Which is a ridiculous notion.....people are silly sometimes. Genes and dreams can be so far apart. Why folks believe not astounds me. :)

william likes this.
  5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

william likes this.
  6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Very true. He hasn't exactly set the world alight in his first year in F2, has he?

This year will be decisive for Schmacher Jr, I think, pitched against team mate Robert Schwartman.

The young Russian is reputed to be very fast, and could outclass Schumacher, even in his first year in F2.

tifosi12 likes this.
  7. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Unfortunately there were cases of sabotage within a team to make the preferred driver to shine. I hope Schwartzman won't be a victim of such practice.

stavura and Bas like this.
  8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Really? In 2019, Mick Schumacher was driving for Prema, one of the best, if not the best team in F2.
    Schumi Jr finished 12th in the championship with 2 poles, i win and 5 DNFs. Not bad, but not outstanding either.
    His team mate was Indonesian Sean Galael who had no win, no pole and finished 17th
    Are you saying that Galael was the team's "prefered driver" ?
    When and where did this sabotage against Schumacher take place? I am really puzzled here.

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    DF1 likes this.
  10. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Where did I say that?

stavura and Bas like this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Did I misunderstand you, when you said that in post #557: " there were cases of sabotage within a team to make the preferred driver to shine" ?

The conversation was about Mick Schumacher.

12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yes, Felipe Nasr was sabotaged by Sauber in order to make Eriksson look good,before the Tetrapack guy forked the money to Monisha, he clearly stated, i put the money but only if Eriksson beats Nasr!
    Problem was the diference between them was between 1 to 2sec a lap, they put Felipe on old tires and still he was a lot quicker, they gave him old parts, still he was a lot quicker, in practice they gave Eriksson, Felipe's set up, and then, before the qualifying they would change something on his suspension (usualy a third dumper that had in the front, and the car would become undriveable. He used to be around 10 to 13 in free practice and then droped to 20, 23 in practice! Finally they fired the guy that handle Felipe's tire pressure and put a kid who had no experience doing the job, and they taugh him how to do it uncorrectly, so felipe's car was undriveable for the rest of the season. Last race in Brazil, it rained, Eriksson shunted 3 times, Nasr came 9th and gave the team 2 points, making them pass Manor and receive 40million!..He got fired after the race!

greg328 and Bas like this.
  13. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Yes, you misunderstood:

I didn't say the cases were at Prema or in F2, and I didn't say they were related to Mick Schumacher. I just said "I hope Schwartzman won't (future tense) be a victim".

A good example.

Bas likes this.
  14. DF1

He has skill but its not as acute as others who have earlier F2 success. He might have to work harder to make up for his skill not being as sharp as others. I dont see him as WDC in the future overall. He just does not come across as one with that edge.

william likes this.
  15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

OK, I accept that I completely misunderstood your post.
    Sorry, I should have read better . and not jump to conclusion.

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Wow !

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I always found it bizarre that Erricsson had such a long career in F1. Never amounted to anything there, but also never amounted to anything in his career before F1. The amount of times he had reverse grid pole/front row and completely slipped down the order in those years (and he did many years in F2!) was laughable.

It is rather sad that in F2 and F1 these practices still exist. Especially with the amount of money it costs F2 and sacrifices made (Alesi selling his F40 for example, and I'm sure there are many much worse examples), to try and put a mediocre driver forward is insane.

---

Regarding Mick, his first F2 season was disappointing. He's a decent driver that may do some years in F1 (there are some examples of mediocre F2 drivers excelling in F1), but whatever the case, he likely has a bright career ahead of him in motorsports even if he doesn't make F1.

DF1 likes this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Niki Lauda

DF1 and Bas like this.
  19. DF1

Niki was a talent and fast. His team's cars were not so good.

20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yes, it kinda makes you think if it's worth watching races at all. How many of these things are going on without us knowing, even in the top teams! How many times was Kimi screwd at Ferrari in favour of Seb? And is Elton really much better than Bottas, or is there something else? When you have guys like Nico Hulkenberg out and people like Stroll in, what can you say!!!
    I', sorry that most of you guys can't understand italian or portuguese, because in the last few months, motorsport.it and motorsport.br have been doing amazing interviews almost daily. Drivers like Alesi, Nannini, Morbidelli, Capelli, Larini, Caffi, Naspetti, PIRRO, Dindo Capello, Barrichelo, Massa, Tarso Marques, Felipe Nasr, Lucas di Grassi,Nelson Piquet, Trulli, Kubica, Augusto Farfus, Tarquini, Miki Biasion, Tiziano Siviero,and guys like Jo Ramirez, Marmorini, Ghini, Giorgio Piola, Ricardo Penteado, and so many many others have shown up and they chat for about an hour, telling amazing stories that never came to light.
    I tell you, far more interesting that the last f.1 championships!

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Blame sponsorship for this.
    But then, without sponsorship there wouldn't be much of F1 left.
    Some sponsors dictate to the teams.

Bas likes this.
  22. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I watched a few of them. I think motorsport.com could try to do the same interviews in English.

23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I don´t think they could, both the Brazilian and italian drivers are far more opened when talking to their own press, many of them know each others for years, so they really put it all out!

greg328 and Bas like this.
  24. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Forget about Mick. The name is FELIPE DRUGOVICH: rookie in a humble team, wins on second race.

25. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yeah, he's had a not so great start in F2 in 2020.