Misconceptions about driving a Ferrari | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Misconceptions about driving a Ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 2fastforu, Apr 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You might also check on the mortality rate of the office/hospital, just to be sure (could not help it). Best

2. ducatir8cer

ducatir8cer Karting

Dec 25, 2014
    It's just amazing to me how polarizing exotic car ownership can be. Actually, anything that symbolizes material excess is so polarizing in society. Two weeks ago I drove my 458 to a local Starbucks. I parked the car in the front by the door. As I'm waiting for my latte (lol), a gentlemen, that came in after me, makes a comment about the car and starts a conversation with me. The conversation is generally ok and benign. He concludes the dialogue with it was great chatting with you. However, what puzzled me was during the middle of our conversation he says "probably some rich pretentious *********" that owns that car, know what I mean." I just looked at him puzzled and somewhat amused that the I am ok to talk to and I'm also the same guy that he just called pretentious because of the car, not realizing it was my car. It was rather interesting to see his face as we both walked out the store and he said "take it easy" and I said the same as I unlocked the door to my 458. I don't get it, but the majority of people do not respond well to anything that makes them feel less than and you cannot just ignore that.

3. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Assuming you are not a rich pretentious boob (and your post suggests that you are not), it seems that you ran into someone who has a preformed opinions but that he concluded that you are an exception.

4. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    "Stereotyping" is an efficient way of "categorizing". but often leads to, at least, misunderstanding. By the same token human beings rationalize and ultimately deny truths.
    I read here that some say they "don't care what other think" or "flaunt your wealth (don't be "ashamed"). However, I will bet a thousand to a hundred dollars, if these same people were observed for a day, we would find them "diplomatically" traversing the mine field called life. We all have "preferences", for example driving a Ferrari instead of a Porsche. Arguably, we evidence "prejudice" , developing a loyalty and irrational investment in a marque rather than understanding much about the car itself. For some the next step may easily be "bigotry" , evidencing a lack of tolerance.. We are viewed as "different" as soon as we distinguish ourselves from others. Driving a car owned by relatively few meets this criteria.

This entire thread and how we present ourselves is very revealing as evidenced by the numerous comments and learned a little more about my fellow forum members. Best

5. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    "If elected, I pledge to end Ferrari inequality, and ensure that the rich drive their share of Priuses." Feel the burnout! Fred

6. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Interesting thread. Like several other posters, I am a physician, and I've also worked as an electrical engineer in tech. From 2000-2011, I typically drove my Porsche 993TT to work which I purchased for $109K. Great car, even in our snowy winters. Never garnered too much negative attention. Then I bought a used 2008 Bentley Flying Spur Continental for about $100K after first considering a new Audi A8. Actually about the same price, but the Bentley definitely garnered too much attention and probably envy. Still drove it, but would have been wiser not to do so. Never had the guts to drive any Ferrari to work.

Last year, I retired early at age 48 to travel and also enjoy the last two years of high school with my teenage kids. My new gameplan is to work in another state on the other side of the country as a part-time surgeon ("locums tenens") but keep my home base in Kentucky. I think this solves a lot of problems related to this thread, because everyone in my home town thinks I'm retired and they don't pay me for any services. I primarily make my living off investments now, but any money I earn in the other state will be paid by a practice and patients who know nothing about my life back home. Best of both worlds, I believe.

For some measure of anonymity, we built our dream home on 10 acres out in the country in a setting that is not visible from any road and requires passage through two gates to reach. However, we do pay more for any contractor services after they visit it, due to the grand home with grand cars premium. Have not solved that problem yet!

7. fredhassen

fredhassen Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen
    Sounds like he's not having any problems for work and clients.

Like anything in life....I think a lot has to do with how you handle yourself.

https://youtu.be/PpaRb_4G7Lo

My Cars:

2013 Ferrari 458 Spider
    2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cab

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Extremely impressive. Testimonials like that mean more to me than any glitz and glamour, videos of the car drag racing, high speed drifting, etc...T

9. fredhassen

fredhassen Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen
    Another video with food for thought about Supercars and business.

Feel free to substitute 'Lambo' for 'Ferrari' or whatever.

https://youtu.be/GA7ndsXM190

My Cars:

2013 Ferrari 458 Spider
    2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cab

10. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    It does take some courage to ignore people that will never make a difference in our lives. Instead of being inspired, some people hate others, or any other symbols of success (e.g., Fcars), for reminding them of their own insecurity. The world is made better by positively motivated people, (e.g., Enzo for one!), and seldom by hatred of others. I doubt that all Ferrari owners are wealthy. I don't consider myself one. Many commented, in jest sometimes, that Ferrari ownership is just living in boyhood dreams. They are right of course but not necessarily for the correct reasons. Boyhood dreams are probably the single biggest motivation in a man's life. Whatever the motivation, the collective effort behind these quests somehow have contributed to the betterment of humanity from which we all benefit. Those who dare not dream in their youth, or have the courage to live in one upon arrival in maturity, will undoubtedly miss one of the more essential parts of being human.

11. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    I drove my Ferraris to the office and to customer sites. Never a problem. I invited quite a few clients to FCA events too. I actually had clients and fellow employees beg me to bring one of the Ferraris and take them for a ride.

Life's too short to not enjoy your F-cars and settle for anything less.

It worked out for me, but I can understand why others may be reluctant to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    I nearly daily drive my 458. I am not as wealthy as most of you so to spend that type of money on a car to drive it on Saturday or something just doesn't work for me. I own a small business with 10 employees. In my experience so far the vast majority of people are excited for me and excited to see the car and ive made many new friends in a short period because of the car. I don't doubt some percentage of them are talking behind my back nor do I doubt that some people will not like the idea. I figure that if anyone doesn't like me because of a goal I set for myself and accomplished then I doubt they'd fit in my life very well anyway. I don't let it affect me. I didn't buy my Ferrari to get noticed. I bought it because of the way it makes me feel when I am driving. Most people never understand that until they get to drive one... so I can't totally fault jealousy.

13. KenTO

KenTO Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2009
    Toronto
    If you're driving the Ferrari you should be the boss. If you're not that goal may be more important than having a Ferrari.

14. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    BS. People have different things that drive them to success. Being a boss is one, but certainly not the only. I drive a Ferrari and not one other person out of 1200 at my location drives anything like that. Even the VPs, presidents, etc.. It isn't their thing, but I do. I look at it as a visual for others to see that success/fun doesn't only come from being the top dog. It comes from the person. Planning correctly allows a mortal like myself to have one.

15. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    This is an example of a cold advice but it is too true to ignore.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Most people assume you have to be rich to drive a ferrari.
    In reality, you have to be ok parking your cash (unless leasing).

For example, buy a mid range Merc for $110k, drive 3 years and lose $50k with taxes. Sell, buy another Merc and rack up the costs again. In 6 Years you have the potential depreciation from buying a F430 spider if it went to near zero, or a 458 Italia if it depreciated in half.
    It's totally feasible but you have to plan ahead of you are not that wealthy.

17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

+1. And often higher end BMWs and Mercedes depreciate even more steeply. If you buy a used version of one of these, drove it a few years longer than most, the savings would almost if not actually pay for a 430. Of course, 430s and other newer Ferraris are depreciating, too, so choose wisely.