misfire and pending code p1625 | FerrariChat

misfire and pending code p1625

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by smggms, Aug 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    bought car from one on the members here got it last week , drove relay nice no problem 2 days.. yesterday recharged the A/C then car wash ( not sure if it relevant ) drove 10 min then engine light and car lost power slowdown light on ..
    codes
    p0306,p0302,p0301,p0305,p0300,and p1625 pending .. after the the trans light came on ..
    i checked the trans fluid was on min , added quarter and 1/2 not sure if over filed it its (now close to top on cold)..
    disconnected battery overnight ..still same issue ( is there might be reset procedure)

car spark plug replaced last year .. time belt major work done last year

thanks

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What car 550 456??

3. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    2001 456m

4. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    just noticed, all misfires codes from one bank.
    1 - 6 .. will this mean any thing?

5. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

My best guess is the ignition wires and/or the coilpack(s) got wet. It's kind of PITA, but you can try swapping coilpacks from side to side and see if the problem moves, and that'll tell you if it's the coilpacks.

Also keep in mind your coil wires are now 18 years old, and years ago when we still had distributors and points they were considered consumable items. I can recall changing distributor caps and coil wires every 3-5 years.

If you want to change your ignition wires, get ready for an eye watering bill........

6. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    That's funny John, My very first thought was water :)

Of course not being a technical guy I kept my opinion to myself.

7. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    what is coilpack(s) ??? :)

8. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    and how to remove them? can be done?

9. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Matt, with due respect, if you're not familiar with the coilpacks, you may get in over your head very quickly on this. I'd suggest you find a capable Ferrari tech in your area to diagnose & sort this out.

Your 456M has a "static" ignition system (no distributors) with two, six tower ignition coils, one for each side of the engine. You'll have to remove a few components to get to them, then remove & number the ignition wires from each 'pack, then swap the coilpacks over, plug the ignition wires back in the correct sequence, and see if the problem moves. It's kind of a messy job, and you have to be very careful not to mix up the order of the ignition wires. There are a lot of opportunities to make mistakes with this, and/or damage the ignition wires.

10. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Bill, all of us who own these cars, whether we're technical or not, know that Ferraris and water don't mix :)

11. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    Thanks for the info .. its on the way to the dealer ..