Misfires fixed - check your battery connections | FerrariChat

Misfires fixed - check your battery connections

Discussion in '360/430' started by mello, Oct 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #1 mello, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was getting intermittent misfires on both banks and it's driving me crazy. The latest was an OL-Drive status. I did some poking around and discovered that the battery terminals are loose and cracking. It wasn't in this condition when I replaced the battery over a year ago. By the looks of it, the lead material is showing sign of fatigue and stretching due to tightening. The terminals are somewhat cheesy to begin with, so no surprise there.

I went to visit a local car stereo installation shop and picked up some new terminals. I did a master switch on/off and after 100 miles, no more CELs.

Folks, save yourself some griefs. Check your battery terminals!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ///Art

///Art Karting
    BANNED

Oct 15, 2014
    +1 good find. This will cause misfires and a limp mode. Will also cause f1 to drop into neutral during upshift.

3. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Like I said, the connectors was in good shape when I changed out the battery. As luck would have it, the battery terminals was the last item to check after exhausting all the other possibilities. Oh, the pain!

Heed my advice, even if your terminals looks good, change it out anyway!

4. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    "The terminals are somewhat cheesy to begin with, so no surprise there" is an understatement. They are cheap and unreliable. I replaced mine, as I could not get one terminal to tighten all the way.

5. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm curious to see if Ferrari has improved the battery terminal in later model. Anyone care to post pictures?

6. Rhoads56

Rhoads56 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2015
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Perry
    Can you verify the codes it was throwing? I have an intermittent issue with one ecu not communicating with the other. Code 1630. I need to clean and verify all harness connections, and my next step was the verify the battery and terminals.

10% of the total miles have been put on in the last five weeks. Wasn't driven often by previous owners!

7. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #7 mello, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    .Hard start on hot engine
    .Intermittent fuel pressure ranging from 44-51 PSI
    .P0174 System too lean bank 2
    .P0304 Misfire cylinder 4
    .P0300 Misfires
    .FuelSys1 - OL-Drive

There were more, but I gave up recording them knowing that I have an intermittent issue at hand.
    As to your ECUs, there are ground terminals close to their mounting point. I would check those first. Use a multimeter and measure the resistance between the ECU ground lug and chassis ground.

I checked on mine initially and found that it was 1.2 ohm on right side ECU and 2.5 ohm on left side ECU. I cleaned out the left side ground, remeasure and it drops to 1.2 ohm, same as the right side.

8. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Great information. Thank you for posting.